DLT's SR Locos - Lord Nelson Craftsman Kit

DLT

• RMweb Premium

After a break while I got the layout sorted out for the Basingstoke Show, I'm back on the 700.

I've sorted the tender to loco coupling and power connections, so I can now finish off the tender detailing.

Pictures to follow.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've completed the wiring connections from the tender to the loco, in a similar manner to the Jubilee.  Wires are araldited to the drawbar, and connected to the chassis/pickup plate by a mini plug & socket.

The wires then go under the (non existant yet) cab floor go straight to the motor terminals.  It runs beautifully, even with no weight on the loco.

post-5825-0-86655000-1520552137_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-37732900-1520552153_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-25092700-1520552171_thumb.jpg

Shortening the wires so that they are just long enough to reach the terminals helps to anchor the motor down.

post-5825-0-09047500-1520552198_thumb.jpg

With everything including the drawbar pin attached to the circuitboard chassis I could now finish soldering the detail bits to the tender.  these included floor, toolboxes, handrails, and the minute valences that anchor the tops of the handrails.

Thats all the brasswork on the tender, just the castings to add and its done.

post-5825-0-71938900-1520552214_thumb.jpg

Thats all for tonight,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 12

Hi Dave 

Love the way you have done the pick ups and wiring,now seeing the tender with it's coal rake in, i am surprised how sallow the top coal area is.

Most tenders have a well and are a lot deeper, strange they did this loco like this, Look amazing job you are doing and can not wait to have her running on my layout.

Darren 

Hi Dave 

Love the way you have done the pick ups and wiring,now seeing the tender with it's coal rake in, i am surprised how sallow the top coal area is.

Most tenders have a well and are a lot deeper, strange they did this loco like this, Look amazing job you are doing and can not wait to have her running on my layout.

Darren 

Most of the older tenders are similar to this, it is only when you have water pick up gear, that you have a larger coal space. Water is always more important, Run out of coal the fire goes out. Run out of water the fire goes out with a big bang.

• RMweb Premium

Starting on the cab interior now. 

Apart from a very nice backhead casting, the kit is a bit lacking here as its designed to allow a worm to drive on the rear axle. 

The supplied floor slopes up to cover the gearing, but as the Highlevel drive sits completely within the frames theres room for a better interior.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm making a cab floor and splasher box assembly to fit in the cab.  Floor itself is square piece of brass with slots cut in it to clear the wheels.  Splasher boxes are built up on this.

post-5825-0-29207500-1520552464_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-77298700-1520552504_thumb.jpg

As the cab floor is raised above footplate level I soldered two "runners" to the bottom of the cab sides, and a filling piece at the rear.

The cab floor sits on the runners.

post-5825-0-76197900-1520552443_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-36315700-1520552486_thumb.jpg

Thats all for now,

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

This brings me to the bit I've been putting off; the boiler!

Its etched one piece, and pre-rolled.  Very good you might think, but its pre-rolled to too large a diameter.  Theres an 8mm wide gap at the seam and the whole thing is now work-hardened and almost impossible to bend any more.  Attempts at bending are just producing distortion, and trying to pull the seam together just results in an egg-shaped boiler section.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave.

I take it you do not have rolling bars. You could use a metal rod 1/2" so and roll it the final bit on a Yellow pages or a mouse mat. It should go OK without annealing. Or is there any location discs in the kit? These can be used with copper wire to drag it in and hold the shape.

Edited by N15class

• RMweb Gold

Annealing it is the only way I know Dave, a gas hob can be good if you only have a small torch as you have a wide heating surface that shouldn't cause distortion if you roll it in the flames and it's controllable. Holding carefully in line with round nose pliers should stop flattening anywhere as the contact is minimal.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys, looks like I'm going to have to anneal it.  

Unfortunately we replaced our gas cooker with an electric ceramic hob a couple of years ago, so I don't have a ready source of heat.  I guess I could dig out the camping stove instead.

Thanks for the advice,

Dave.

Hi Guys, looks like I'm going to have to anneal it.  

Unfortunately we replaced our gas cooker with an electric ceramic hob a couple of years ago, so I don't have a ready source of heat.  I guess I could dig out the camping stove instead.

Thanks for the advice,

Dave.

Hi Dave 

This is how i did my boiler on my high level kit was over a camping gas cooker,as it was almost  impossible  

to roll it any other way.

I used a telephone book and a bit of wooden dowel to get the right shape,mind you did set light to the phone book!

Edited by darren01
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Darren.  I'm sure I will sort it, hopefully without setting fire to anything!

Last night I got on with finishing the cab instead.  Roof is fitted, all beading and handrails done.

Soldering the beading around the cab opening was a fiddly job, or more truthfully, bending and fitting it took the time, getting it in place so that it didnt ping off into the distance.  The actual soldering was very quick.

Cheers, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

A quick interim report to show the completed cab exterior.

There's still a few odd blobs of solder to cleanup, but generally I'm very pleased with it.

post-5825-0-91220700-1520552725_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-78861200-1520552744_thumb.jpg

I haven't done anything with the back-head casting yet, as I need to fit the boiler first to ascertain the height.

Cheers,

Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Yet again the quality of the kit planning and production shines through.  

The boiler rolled to exactly the right dimensions, and the two smokebox overlays fit exactly.  All I've had to do is a very small amount of filling at the firebox end where the curves of the firebox etch didn't exactly match the cab and splasher curves.

Its actually starting to look like a loco now, photos will follow later.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There are two smokebox overlays, the inner one brings it out to the correct diameter, and the outer one is beautifully half-etched with all the rivet detail.

They both come pre-rolled and shaped, and needed very little adjustment to get them to fit perfectly.

I smeared Araldite Rapid on the inside of the inner wrapper and held in in place in my fingers until it hardened off enough.

I glued the outer wrapper in the same way, but held it and the boiler down with elastic bands while setting, so that it was in exactly the right position.

post-5825-0-57537500-1520553099_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-61368500-1520553119_thumb.jpg

post-5825-0-86780000-1520553136_thumb.jpg

I found a piece of brass rod and turned it to the inner diameter of the boiler to act as a former while gluing; and it will eventually be fixed inside as a weight.

post-5825-0-33567300-1520553157_thumb.jpg

At long last, its starting to look like a locomotive!

581712525_IMG_6628small.jpg.c019c202a987f7cde162d3a381817ad4.jpg

All the best, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Looks very good now Dave.

Are you going to add a front to the firebox?

Thanks Peter,

Yes, there is still work to to be done at both ends of the boiler. I will put a "front" of sorts on the firebox and round off the edges, but as the motor takes up a lot of the space its pretty tight for clearance when the chassis is removed.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

The boiler barrel is pretty much done now, I've filled in much of the cutout on the boiler underside and put a "front" on both sides of the firebox.  It can't go right accross, but the motor itself helps to fill the gap.  I'll do some photos later.

Detailing, pipework etc to come next.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 4