Fairfield Jnc - OO Lenz/Touchcab DCC layout, 50's/60's era (updated Oct 2016)

250BOB

Hi Everyone,

I have finally mastered putting clips onto Youtube. So here are my first 3 clips of Fairfield Junction, my 00gauge loft layout using Code 75 and DCC.

Mainly 50's 60's era, but...I like everything from the 50's right through to the present day....and I want also to keep my grandchildren interested too.

No scenery as yet....although I did promise my self this year I would start....its taken me 4 years to get this far.....and at long last, I seem to be pretty happy with how the layout works operationally, which was always my main target.

Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfl7P8qhCC4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eN5WY5J4b4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjEK9ZQrf-c

• RMweb Gold

No particular era.....I like everything from the 50's right through to the present day....and I want also to keep my grandchildren interested too.

No scenery as yet....although I did promise my self this year I would start....its taken me 4 years to get this far.....and at long last, I seem to be pretty happy with how the layout works operationally, which was always my main target.

We see wonderful scenicked layouts on here - but the scenery doesn't actually make the trains run any better. You have a large and interesting layout with lots of trains and plenty of operating potential. That's ticked quite a few boxes to my mind, and I suspect many of those with small-but-beautiful layouts might swop some of their lovely setting for a bit of your useful space. Yes, scenery would enhance it, but you can have fun right now, and that's why we have hobbies. Be proud of what you already have!

We see wonderful scenicked layouts on here - but the scenery doesn't actually make the trains run any better. You have a large and interesting layout with lots of trains and plenty of operating potential. That's ticked quite a few boxes to my mind, and I suspect many of those with small-but-beautiful layouts might swop some of their lovely setting for a bit of your useful space. Yes, scenery would enhance it, but you can have fun right now, and that's why we have hobbies. Be proud of what you already have!

Ian, I think you are spot on. I have lots of pals who come round, and we spend hours and hours playing trains.......loco changes, freight yard movements, expresses stopping in station...the list goes on. I have two controllers, and beleive me, it is immense fun with independant operators. I sometimes wonder if I will ever get around to the scenery, we are having such a good time playing trains.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Excellent layout there with nice long runs which is everyone modellers dream.

Enjoying it is what its all about.

Mark in OZ

Absolutely Mark.....whether its running trains or scenic modelling.....enjoyment of our hobby is what its all about, as you said.!!!

Bob

Would love a layout like this to be able to either just watch the trains going past, or doing a bit of shunting if it takes your fancy .

Don't think you need to worry about the scenery, looks good as it is - and would take up valuable play time! smile.gif

Would love a layout like this to be able to either just watch the trains going past, or doing a bit of shunting if it takes your fancy .

Don't think you need to worry about the scenery, looks good as it is - and would take up valuable play time! smile.gif

And there lies the problem Jules....I go up into the loft with the best of scenic intentions, returning 4 hours later with not a bush or tree planted......but I enjoyed myself immensley.

I have loads of scenic stuff already bought and ready to go....but its just making that initial start, then possibly it'll be full steam ahead, so as to speak.

Thanks.......Bob.

Yes Kris...you are absolutely right. Two laps of the loft to come thro the station again. Although there is a third continuous loop that stays at ground level only....it runs through the outer two fiddle yard roads....you can follow it on the video.

I love it, and have hours of fun just watching trains go by....but even more fun when my pals come round....they operate the controllers, I just dish out the instructions as what to do next...I set some real challenges for them.

I get more of a buzz watching others operate my layout.

Bob.

What a fantastic layout! A huge amount of operating potential there. Low on scenary, but it doesn't seem to matter, the locos are the stars here for sure!

I'm like you, I like a wide range of eras, which is why I'm planning on having my layout set in multiple eras, with one of them being a catch-all 'preservation' era, basically modelling the layout as it would be had it been preserved and turned into a heritage railway - this pretty much gives me carte blanche to run what I like, within reasonable perameters of course! But I'm similar to you in your thought process - there are too many eras of railway history I like to model in one go, so sometimes I may need to sacrifice historical accuracy for plain ol' fun :)

I can imagine the fun of running. That's all I want for now - I'm pouring over various articles on scenary, weathering locos, buildings etc, but I have a feeling I'll lay the track down, plug in a controller and that'll be that for a few months, with trains whizzing up and down - still, it's all about the fun as you say, and I can imagine you having a bucketload of the stuff with your setup. Great collection of locos too.

Bob

You have made a lot of progress lets have some more scenery at least you are moving forward with the layout.

Pete

Hi pete

What d'ya mean MORE scenery.........theres none yet.!!!

I did promise myself that this year would be the year of the scenery.....its only November.!!!!

Bob

That's an interesting thing to say, but sort of strikes a cord.

I act like the fat controller......telling them what I want to happen, manoeuvres etc., it works very well, I assist with points, and curl up laughing when they make a mistake and the system shuts down. If you get three shut downs, you have to re linquish control to someone else. :D

Its loads of fun.

Good Morning Stuart.

Sincere apologies for not posting earlier.......but when you see some of the quality of layouts on here, sometimes ones own efforts pale somewhat.

But seriously, I did post on a previous RMweb....but time flies, and I hadnt realised it had been that long ago. I perhaps have a feeling that many model railways built at home reach this stage, but then stall for the same reason as mine......playing trains takes priority.

I am really keen to start the scenery, I just need to lay the first brick so as to speak.

My loft is "L" shaped as you can gather from the video. The longest length is where the platform is, here are the measurements starting with that straight.

18' x 14' x 6' x 6' x 12' x 8'

So, it has a total outer dimension of 64', but of course it is a squashed figure of eight, essentially two revolutions have to be made in order to pass through the platforms again......hence the run is 128'.

Oh....the other reason I just started to post is the fact I just learned how to upload to Youtube.

Thanks for your interest Stuart.

Best wishes........Bob.

Looks like fun Bob - and that's what matters.

Now about those signals :P :lol:

Ah yes.........the signals..... :blush:. But I have been ill you know. ;) :D

But you are right.........its fun first....and the detail later.

Cheers.............................Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived