Woodford Halse - signals

• RMweb Gold

Over the next few years I expect to build a number of signals for a model of Woodford Halse.

The models will be based on photos of the prototype, where available.

The basic spec. for the models is 4mm scale, servo operated, with LED/Fibre Optic lighting.

I will be very pleased to see photos of any Woodford Halse infrastructure, but particularly the signals.

Please contact me "off topic" by email if you prefer.

I'll post replies to this Topic with photos of each signal as the project progresses.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Over the next few years I expect to build a number of signals for a model of Woodford Halse.

The models will be based on photos of the prototype, where available.

I will be very pleased to see photos of any Woodford Halse infrastructure, but particularly the signals.

Presumably you've looked at this page?

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/woodford_halse/index.shtml

• RMweb Gold

Yes, some time ago, but thanks very much for reminding me.

Steve.

I had a long look at the Signalling Record Society site, but could find almost no reference to the GC whatsoever. GC became part of Eastern Region under BR, but although there's plenty of ER stuff, nothing GC at all. That suggests that the signalling at closure of the GC as a main line was pretty much the way it had been right back to pre-1923 - signal engineers seldom draw plans unless there is change. Unhelpful - except that pics of WH signals at any time in the C20 will probably be close to those in use towards the end of through services.

• RMweb Gold

I had a long look at the Signalling Record Society site, but could find almost no reference to the GC whatsoever. GC became part of Eastern Region under BR, but although there's plenty of ER stuff, nothing GC at all. That suggests that the signalling at closure of the GC as a main line was pretty much the way it had been right back to pre-1923 - signal engineers seldom draw plans unless there is change. Unhelpful - except that pics of WH signals at any time in the C20 will probably be close to those in use towards the end of through services.

Ian,

Thanks for your efforts.

I have some photos scanned from a book owned by the layout owner.

It is not widely available, having been published in Canada some years ago, I believe.

All the photos I have show the signalling having been updated, possibly in BR days.

Predominantly just upper quadrant conversions on older infrastructure as there is a mixture of NE and LMS brackets.

This can also be seen in one or two of the pictures on the Disused Stations site.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know the situation at Woodford (not surprisingly it being an awful long time since I last went there or passed through) but there was a considerable installation of 'hurry-up' distant signals on the GC during either the LNER era or perhaps earlyish BR days. There would presumably have been other changes resulting from rationalisation and closures of the SMJ etc but otherwise probably nothing more than renewals to the relevant contemporary standard.

Signalling plan sketches in British Layout plans of the 1950's Vol.3.

Woodford New Yards brought into use September 1943 to the north of the original yards, with at least one new box (No.1) opened in advance of this in 1941.

The SRS list signalling plans for Nos.1-4 boxes inc

The BR/OPC Railprint collection, now at the NRM, lists references to plans 7876, 7877(2), 20529 under 'Woodford MPS'

Hope this helps

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I'll post replies to this Topic with photos of each signal as the project progresses.

Steve.

This is the first signal for Woodford Halse.

The prototype photo (scanned from a book) is too poor to reproduce again here, but I was able to determine the proportions from it.

Referring to the standard LMS components in Graham Warburton's book, I produced this scale diagram on which the model was based:

Signal No 1 diag..doc

First assembly was the front bracket trimmer with the rocking shafts:

post-3984-070186100 1289322081_thumb.jpg

A batch of signal arms produced for this and future signals.

post-3984-042086300 1289322716_thumb.jpg

Not many pics taken during next stages, so much progress visible here:

post-3984-010545500 1289323048_thumb.jpg

The completed signal under test:

post-3984-094060300 1289323304_thumb.jpg

This pic. shows the servos mounted below the "baseboard" on a sub-board, which also carries the LED and the Fibre Optic terminations:

post-3984-097246600 1289323435_thumb.jpg

This shows the working bits better:

post-3984-004406800 1289323645_thumb.jpg

Drivers view with the Branch starter pulled off:

post-3984-001305400 1289323852_thumb.jpg

I've also completed the second signal, which I'll post pics of later.

Future builds I'll try to detail as I go along.

Steve.

Woodford Halse fascinates me, mainly because there seems to me so little readily-accessible information on the track layouts, junctions, etc. Yet it was an extensive place, with quite massively-built infrastructure, the remains of which can still be seen today at quite close quarters.

Very impressive, gives me something to aim at for my trainset! Are these all scratch built or have you used any ready made bits? My intention is to fully signal my layout but I am a bit daunted by the number I have to make, and the Ratio ones don't seem to quite cut the mustard.

Very impressive, gives me something to aim at for my trainset! Are these all scratch built or have you used any ready made bits? My intention is to fully signal my layout but I am a bit daunted by the number I have to make, and the Ratio ones don't seem to quite cut the mustard.

Try this ;-

http://www.modelsignals.com/

• RMweb Gold

Are these all scratch built or have you used any ready made bits?

Yes, all scratch built for the main structure, but using some components where available.

e.g. Signal arms, balance arms and weights, cast lamps, post finials etc.

Widest range of components is available from Model Signal Engineering.

Other suppliers such as Scale Signal Supply and Alan Gibson have some nice bits as well.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Nice signals Steve; whose Servo's are they?

All my servos have recently come from The Servo Shop, purchased on-line.

The ones on this first signal for Woodford Halse are:

http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=XYMS44SS&area=Servo

This is a 4.4g servo, and has proved very good.

However, for the same price you can buy:

http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=STECENERG&area=Servo

which is only a little larger, but seems to be better engineered.

This servo was unavailable for while, but seems to be in stock again now.

Steve.

Thanks for the link, I can see my spare time for the next couple of years vanishing!

BTW I can't understand why Hornby or Bachmann or somebody doesn't now make reasonably accurate electrically operated semaphores. Surely with the use of etching and Chinese expertise these could be produced relatively cheaply. We now have near perfect locos and coaches but the infra-structure seems to be lagging behind. I'd certainly be prepared to pay in the £30-£40 range for them (ie the same as the best coaches) but perhaps there isn't the interest. (Modern image are well catered for, however).

Yes, all scratch built for the main structure, but using some components where available.

e.g. Signal arms, balnce arms and weights, cast lamps, post finials etc.

Widest range of components is available from Model Signal Engineering.

Other suppliers such as Scale Signal Supply and Alan Gibson have some nice bits as well.

Steve.

Thanks for the info Steve. Don't think I will reach your standard, but it's nice to have something to aim for!

Robert

• RMweb Gold

It is superb modelling/engineering, Steve. I'm not sure about LEDs either, but you cannot but admire the engineering skill with which you have fitted them :)

Thanks for your comments.

I'm not clear what your concerns are with the LED as a light source?

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

This is an ingenious arrangement to transfer the motion of the servo to the operation of the signal arms - presumably this is prototypical?

Yes indeed. It was developed by the LMS in the early grouping era and became part of the BR standard designs which were largely based on LMS designs.

"A Pictorial Record of LMS Signals" has recently been issued in reprint. Well worth a read.

(The reprint came out within a year of me picking up a mint condition original at no small cost! Sod's Law)

Steve.

Yes indeed. It was developed by the LMS in the early grouping era and became part of the BR standard designs which were largely based on LMS designs.

"A Pictorial Record of LMS Signals" has recently been issued in reprint. Well worth a read.

(The reprint came out within a year of me picking up a mint condition original at no small cost! Sod's Law)

Steve.

Lovely signals Steve. I think the rocker shaft mechanism for actuating the arms on brackets was also used by the North Eastern Railway, which must have been prior to 1923 as that organisation was absorbed into the LNER in that year.

Cheers

Mike

Archived