Whitborough Quay - OO

JaymzHatstand

I have started building small shunting layout (not at all linked to my recent aquisition of a Bachmann 03!). The trackplan is, so far, a basic inglenook comprised of a Peco 3-way point and four lengths o track, all fited onto a four foot by six inch board. The wood used was all from my stash, and the track came from my spares collection, so thus far I haven't had to buy any non-stock items.

The plan is to eventually clad one side of the frame with stone (either brick paper or embossed plasticard) to represent a quayside, and the track to be embedded in concrete to continue the dockside theme. The headshunt will have some sort of building present, warehouse or suchlike, to hide the track stopping at the end of the board. I'll try to make the various scenery items non era specific so i can shunt with different types of stock

To get going, and of course to aid description, here are a few photos I took quickly this morning.

post-7895-059040200 1289384387_thumb.jpg

post-7895-087144800 1289384391_thumb.jpg

post-7895-040031500 1289384395_thumb.jpg

post-7895-040882100 1289384398_thumb.jpg

post-7895-011293500 1289384384_thumb.jpg

Next up is the control panel and fitting of point motors, a bit over the top for such a small layout, but it does have the potential to be extended 'inland'!

Thanks for looking

J

• RMweb Gold

so will I, looks interesting, particularly how the 3 tracks take up the 6" width, the 03 probably is worth a layout to itself, they were an intruiging prototype, in how long they hung on after various greater and smaller shunters had gone for scrap, and also how they were 'dwarfed' by more modern rolling stock, your bogie tanks shows to good effect!

The 08s by comparison were obviously short shunting locos by comparison to mainline types but they did look like they had the 'bulk' to do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

Small shunting layout – check

Quay side - check

Bachmann Class 03 – check

Are we singing from the same song sheet James, are you planning to offer it for Goathland this next year?

• 2 weeks later...

'm currently in the process of building a small control box for the point motors, and isolating section (which is in place with a view to future expansion). I've also downloaded the Scalscenes quayside, and am intending to put that together this evening to provide a scenic edge to teh layout, so I shall post some photos when thats done!

As far as Goathland goes, it will be available if needed to fill a small space, it just depends if the erstwhile chairman wants it or not!

Cheers

J

• 5 weeks later...

A bit of progress at last! Now that I've built and tested (not playing at all!) the control panel with SEEP point motors installed and an isolating section and a new siding added, the scenic work has started with the main ballasting done. The majority of the yard part of the layout will be set in the quayside's cobbled surface, courtesy of the Scalescenes quayside that I am currently building. The new siding is not actually connected to the running lines, but is mainly going to be used as a bit of on-scene storage and to provide a bit more visual interest. Once I get the buffer stops painted and fitted, the siding will get ballasted, and the rail/sleepers/ballast weathered.

Hopefully these photos will offer some further ideas as to what is going on!

post-7895-0-56213800-1294306654_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-19229200-1294306663_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-42539700-1294306671_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking

J

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of progress to report...

The area to the front of the layout where the scenic break warehouse is to stand has been assembled and fitted, making the layout now a 4 x 1 which seems to be that bit less fiddly! I thought It was a good idea to do this before fitting any of the other details like buffer stops as it invoved quite a lot of handling of the board and they would be vulnerable.

I have also started planning the warehouse as can be seen in the photos (the bendy legs are due to the cereal packet card I used for the mock up to check for size) and when finished, the whole building will hopefully be quite imposing! I can't decide at this point whether to fit the Brassmasters window frames (which would put the cost up) or investigate printing the Scalescens ones onto acetate. Planning where the various windows and modules for the warehouse has been done and a list made of what needs printing (I might need more ink though!)

The quayside track which is to be set in 'cobblestones' has had the basa layer of card cut and some is fitted, in order to raise the ground up to the sleeper height, to avoid saggy cobbles (oo-er!)

I have cropped the clutter out of the background of the pictures (quickly, so excuse the crudity!) and added a rough representaiton of where the water will be using one of Photoshop's textures. I'll bew looking to have a boat or two in the harbour and am currently investigating different sources of them.

Warehouse area

post-7895-0-78210100-1296040395_thumb.jpg

Whole layout

post-7895-0-60651000-1296040387_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking and please feel free to comment/ask any questions.

J

Like this and am thinking of doing a similar myself.

On Stubby's point though could you model the warehouse as an elevated structure with the ground floor all open? Could then move the additional siding in to the centre of this and model a busy loading/unloading scene, can can only be used for vans etc no locos though. Will then leave space to alter the depth of the warehouse (or whatever it might be) along the back-scene a bit.

sxhall

I'm not too worried about the siding, as it's only really there as a hint at the wider world, and although it may not be visible at eye level from straight on, it will be from other angles. The forst couple of arches-worth of the warehouse will only be one storey high as well, as though they have been built as an extension which will also aid visibility, and make it a bit more visually interesting, instead of just a big lump of 'bricks'.

Cheers

J

• 2 months later...

I thought it was about time for an update on progress, so here it is!

Firstly the majority of the 'cobbled' surface has been fitted, as has the main dockside. This was all after fitting of an uncoupling magnet on the middle road and thorough 'testing', not playing!

post-7895-0-22587500-1301475968_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-53932800-1301476004_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-73452800-1301476061_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-48655500-1301476126_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-42451300-1301476191_thumb.jpg

if you look closely at this photo, you'll see the location of the uncoupling magnet.

post-7895-0-36762700-1301476252_thumb.jpg

More work has been done on the warehouse, and I'm in the process of making a decision as to the length of it. The two photos below show the two options I am considering

post-7895-0-19602800-1301476282_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-72471400-1301476312_thumb.jpg

If I go for the shorter one, I'll have to find something to put in the empty space, if anyone has any ideas, Id be glad to hear them.

I also need to start thinking about a boat or two to sit in the harbour. I'm looking for a fishing boat of sorts, nothing specific, just a generic, medium sized fishing boat, but I don't want to break the bank, so the ones from Langley are out, probably!

Thanks for looking and for any feedback

J

If you go for the short warehouse there is room for boxes and pallets, a forklift, lorry, bike rack, a storage shed, possibly a couple of small containers (20') dockside items, fishermans sheds, Harburn do a cople of small fishing boats and dockside accessories, You could make that a very busy little cameo.

If I go for the shorter one, I'll have to find something to put in the empty space, if anyone has any ideas, Id be glad to hear them.

I also need to start thinking about a boat or two to sit in the harbour. I'm looking for a fishing boat of sorts, nothing specific, just a generic, medium sized fishing boat, but I don't want to break the bank, so the ones from Langley are out, probably!

Thanks for looking and for any feedback

J

It's looking really excellent J and puts my current canal quayside to shame.

Some kind of harbour master's office for the empty space perhaps? Probably a simple and fairly small single story brick building (or could be timber) but with plenty of scope for detailing with notices to mariners, tide tables and so on. All helping to add to that maritime feel and by breaking up the trackage might make it all look larger.

For the fishing boat would getting a cheap plastic toy one and then detailing/reworking the superstructure be a way of doing it? I'm no expert having only done one ship for a long defunct layout but I found getting the the basic shapes, especially the hull form, was the hard part so converted the old Shell Welder coastal tanker kit into a smaller cargo coaster. This involved raising the deck heights in the superstructure, replacing all the tank fittings on the main deck with a cargo hold, changing the rails for something closer to HO scale and adding extra bulwarks.

post-6882-0-32757200-1301479955_thumb.jpg

Since I got rid of the layout it was for it's been a windowsill ornament suffering the effects of sunlight, clumsy vacuuming, cats and general ill treatment so it's lost all its masts, lifeboats, navigation lights etc and probably deserves a viking funeral or a coat of rust to feature in a breaker's yard. The photo does though show the overall approach achieved with a few pieces of plasticard and some ship's rail from a long closed maritime model shop.

David

Nice job thus far. I like quaint scenes like this, very relaxing, atmospheric and simple. Nice locos too. I like the idea of the cameo in the warehouse, adds interest to the layout, plus having the siding tucked behind it adds depth to the layout - having elements that reveal themselves when you look at it from different angles is a trick I always like, like fiddle yards that run behind backscenes. The cobble effect looks very effective too.

Just a quick question, you may have already mentioned it, in which case apologies for missing it - is it DC or DCC control?

I look forward to seeing further progress,

Adam

Thanks guys, some useful bits and bobs in there

Shortliner : I'd had a look at the Harburn range a while ago, and had another one this morning, some of their 'clutter' items look ver suitable for littering around, and the fisherman's shed might just fit in the gap behind the track and the backscene.

Pacific231G : That is a very good idea for boat building, I had considered bulding my own, but wasn't sure how to get the hull shape right, and that container ship is most impressive (although maybe a bit big for my needs!)

TangmereTornado : The layout is DC, but should the time (and funds) arise, DCC conversion should be easy. The cobbles are just sheets from the Scalescens range which came with thte dock wall kit. The locos are both Bachmann and are awaiting weathering.

Thanks again

J

Thanks guys, some useful bits and bobs in there

Pacific231G : That is a very good idea for boat building, I had considered bulding my own, but wasn't sure how to get the hull shape right, and that container ship is most impressive (although maybe a bit big for my needs!)

It's 16" by 2 1/2" but it's definitely not a container ship. It's really intended to represent the sort of small 200-500 ton motor coaster introduced originally by the Dutch that used to serve small ports and quays - some of them surprisingly far inland- around our coast and estuaries carrying all sorts of cargos in their holds (or on deck for timber) until the wretched lorry killed most of them off along with canals and local railway goods yards. The draft is a bit shallow for this type of ship in H0 scale but I'd intended it to be used as a waterline model though these small ships could be safely grounded at low tide. The ship should have a foremast with a derrick to enable it to work its own cargo but that got lost some time ago. This type of ship and its steam predeccesors were far more typical of a small port than the Clyde puffers that most people seem to go for.

I did do some model ship building in my youth but to get the hull shape right you needed to produce a set of hull section forms from a drawing and saw and sand a block of wood (usually balsa) for aeons till you got the right shape. I reckon that for a fairly generic small coaster or fishing boat the hull from a judiciously chosen toy or cheap ornamental boat would do the job well enough.

David

• 1 month later...

It's approaching the time when I need to put some sort of water surface into the harbour basin, but I'm not too sure of how to go about it. i was thinking of Woodland Scenics Realistic Water, but I've read that it'll only cover about a 17" diameter area (53 square inces approx) which isn't sufficient for my needs. Yes, I know I could just get more of it, but it is rather expensive! The area to be covered is about 6"x36", and thus far has had a couple of coats of watercolour paints to give the base some sort of murky harbour like hue. The water doesn't need to be particularly deep, just enough to give it a reflective sheen as the dark paint underneath should give it depth (hopefully). Any help or advice that anyone has will be gratefully recieved.

In other layout progress news, I have almost completed the small fiddle yard, I just need a length of flexitrack, which I'll pick up on my days off. I have recycled some legs and support frame from a previous layout so Whitborough is now free standing and fairly stable. Once I have obtained a suitable backscene (a murky grey sky) the backboard can be attatched .

I'll upload some progress photos over the weekend, inbetween housework and fitting more stock with Spratt & Winkle couplings!

Thanks for previous responses, and hopefully some water assistance!

J

Just using PVA should work well, that's what we are going to use on the narrow gauge I think. It's the same method as Chris Nevard used on his Cement Quay layout. This is how he did it:

"The water is simply a murky mix of grey and green emulsion paint, which in turn is coated with a few thick blobby layers of PVA glue in the finest Alan Downes style. I could have used varnish (which always looks like varnish or best bitter) however in my opinion PVA creates a superior effect without the anti-social smells. The odd bit of dust is less visible too."

Looking forward to seeing you and the layout at Goathland in a few months!

Thanks for that everyone, the general concensus, and from what I read on varioous other posts on here is that PVA is the way to go (and considerably cheaper!), and as I need to buy some more anyway, it's quite cost-effective!

As promised last night, here are a couple of photos of current progress

post-7895-0-36328600-1305464296_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-15903100-1305464337_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-01917700-1305464375_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-07400100-1305464424_thumb.jpg

A couple of things not mentioned in the last post are the window frames of the factory (made from plastic strip as yet unpainted) and the ground frame from oa 51L etch kit, which will be lowered slightly into the ground and have a bit of a surround built around it to protect it from the prevailing conditions.

Thanks again

J

Archived