Whitborough Quay - OO

JaymzHatstand

• 1 year later...

So, Whitborough has been invited to attend the Whitby & District show in Goathland over the weekend of the 18th & 19th of this month which leaves less than two weeks until the doors open (it was invited a while ago, I've just not updated on here!) The layout's first appearance was at this same show a good few years ago and it has since grown in size, with the addition of the curved backscene and greater scenic area.

I have been working on a number of additions, mainly scenic to add interest and hopefully these will be ready by the time the show opens (I do have a sort holiday in Wales before then as well though!)

The biggest addition is Quint's house and shark fishing establishment, where the erstwhile sea dog from Jaws resides! 'Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women!'

In order to keep a little uniformity, it is built in the same way as the other structures on the layout, card and brick paper, with smaller details from various other sources. At present I still need to grave the side windows and add the signs, but it seems to sit quite well in its prescribed location without sticking out like a sore thumb!

post-7895-0-04210500-1436086008_thumb.jpg

Another small addition is a bus stop which will be placed just after the road bridge and eventually there will be a couple of passengers waiting with their wares from Ace Kippers!

post-7895-0-99042000-1436085908_thumb.jpg

Lastly (for now) I've added some figures to my Bachmann inspection saloon, including 'Blakey' who has progressed from his inspectors job at Luxton & District Bus depot to work for the British Rail! Two of my 37s are ETH fitted, so he'll have a choice of motive power! Also in the saloon are some other details such as a track plan on the table, which at present are totally invisible but when DCC hits Whitborough, I'll install some lights!

post-7895-0-80618600-1436086035_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-99882400-1436086054_thumb.jpg

That's the current state of play, hopefully I'll get all the little bits done in time and keep an update or two appearing on here!

Comments welcome as always!

Cheers

J

Just discovered this layout and have to say its an absolutely brilliant use of space. Might have to nick the track plan myself

Thanks very much! Feel free to use it as a blueprint! I'd be very interested to see how you get on! If you do, please please post a link on here!

Cheers

J

I feel honoured to have been an inspiration!

Yesterday I had the bright idea to check everything works, and I'm glad I did! One of the two SEEP point motors would only fire in one direction, so after some poking about this morning with the multimeter, it would appear that the motor itself is the problem. Fortunately I do have a spare so this afternoon will hopefully see it successfully replaced!

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

J

Point motor problem solved! After our short break in Portmadoc, this morning has seen me resolve the point issue. It turned out to be a loose wire, so a quick prod with the soldering iron and it's all good to go!

Relief all around!

Cheers

J

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been nearly a year since I updated this thread, which in fairness is because I've not really done much to it! There is a reason for this however;

A while ago I decided that the security fence around the factory yard looked a bit sore-thumbish being still in unpainted plastic and mesh. So, I masked the concrete floor and fired up the airbrush with some neutral grey and set to work. The masking sadly lifted, leaving lots of paint on the ground which as it was acrylic on card, dried already instantly and couldn't be removed! Layout ruined, and boxed up until I could think of a fix!

IMAG3770_zpsljkunkz0.jpg

So, after the thinking cap had been on for a while, and I'd finally come up with a solution, I acquired the necessary items, and set to work, 'digging' up the affected area and laying Metcalfe paving slabs.

IMAG3771_zps8jzeyeda.jpg

IMAG3772_zpsdhwkvufx.jpg

IMAG3774_zpsqlcb3q0t.jpg

IMAG3775_zpsqdueeb6m.jpg

So now that I've sorted that little problem, I feel much better about the whole thing, so might feel more obliged to get on with weathering the fence area! Fingers crossed for more progress to follow but as ever, please feel free to wade in with comments or suggestions!

Cheers

J

• 2 months later...

Whitborough is booked to appear at the Redcar show this coming weekend, for details, see here; http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124015-redcar-model-rail-show

I've added some static grass to the newly paved area from the above post so it is blended in a bit, but at present looks a bit bright, but that's a problem for later.

post-7895-0-88890700-1501804664_thumb.jpg

I've a few new items of rolling stock to play with and hopefully it'll all behave! I had a test session last weekend and it was all fine then, but the only audience I had was my cat so we'll see how amenable it all is with a paying audience!

post-7895-0-43075900-1501804887_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-05120700-1501805041_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-19221000-1501805152_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-84088300-1501805320_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll see some of you there, please do say 'Hi'!

Cheers

J

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Redcar show was fairly successful with only one major problem (more on that later).

The layout, and stock performed well on the Saturday with only the 08 being a bit hesitant over one of the point frogs.  I think a bit of pickup adjustment will solve that as the extra ones i have fitted to the rear wheels seem to have come out of contact slightly.  Before the show on Sunday, I gave the track a full clean and gave the loco wheels a clean to alleviate the rigours of the previous day.  Despite not having moved any of the stock over night, some of the couplings were misbehaving now and again so some adjustments were needed but nothing major.  I had a bit of trouble with a couple of my 37s getting into the stabling siding, which after investigation turned out to be roof mounted horns catching on the underside of the over-bridge.  A bit of adjustment with a file and it was smooth sailing again, obviously the inspection train had to come out to check everything!

The main issue of the show occurred just after lunch on the Sunday when one of the blades of the three way point broke away from the tie-bar.  I attempted a repair but it was to no avail so the rearmost of the three sidings was rendered inaccessible and the layout reduced to a two siding shunting puzzle which certainly made it interesting to operate!

Despite the issues, the layout seemed well received and I was able to have a good chat with a number of visitors, and hopefully was able to help a few with their queries.

I am still looking at adding another boat or two to the harbour and find a few extra figures to bring the overall scene to life a bit more.

Below are a few photos from the weekend, including a visit from an APT bought by my assistant from the club sales stand (the pantograph wouldn't fit under the bridge though!)

post-7895-0-12281400-1502872457_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-32089100-1502872500_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-14666600-1502872537_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-22262200-1502872399_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-86591200-1502872601_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-95215900-1502872642_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-93556600-1502872683_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-50562800-1502872719_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-58200000-1502872755_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-70206500-1502872792_thumb.jpg

And last but not least, the offending point!

post-7895-0-63760100-1502872850_thumb.jpg

I hope anyone who saw the layout enjoyed it, I did see plenty of people taking photos, so if anybody on here did, please feel free to post them!

Cheers

J

• 1 year later...

Hi Jaymz

It's been a while since you posted but just to say how much I like the open simplicity of your quay scene. I can see myself "plagiarising" the concept - after all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Any updates on your layout?

Steve

Thanks for that Steve, please feel free to use whatever aspects you like, I'm pretty sure I got most of my ideas from other sources anyway! If you do, please post a link on here so I can see how you get on!

No updates at present I'm afraid though, I still haven't repaired the point. I've got a few ideas of how to go about it, but haven't settled on one yet! It will get done eventually, once I've sorted out the room where it's stored (and currently trapped!)

Cheers

J

Archived