Heljan 128

beast66606

Getting closer. Does anyone know of a ETA for these yet? Having seen the photos, might have one just cos it looks good. I am mainly interested in the spares sprues for the underfloor bits. And will be looking closely at the bogies as well. So many posible transplants await if they come upto par.

I don't really understand how they can release 4 models yet not one is correct for post 1982 (i.e. marker lights replacing domino head code). Presumably they are saving money on the body tooling?

So it'll be out with the scalpel and brass tube. Probably going to need to draw a simple etched panel to sit behind the marker light on the driver's side too:

18/03/1985 - BREL Doncaster Works.

55991 at Paddington HR scan

• RMweb Gold

I don't really understand how they can release 4 models yet not one is correct for post 1982 (i.e. marker lights replacing domino head code).

I haven't seen any defintive statement from Heljan one way or the other but maybe there are irreversible changes to the moulding if they do certain versions? eg Heljan Baby Deltic and Dapol 22 - in both cases they've said disc headcode versions will be last as they can't change the mould back after doing these versions. Possibly something like this is afoot with the 128's?

I don't really understand how they can release 4 models yet not one is correct for post 1982 (i.e. marker lights replacing domino head code). Presumably they are saving money on the body tooling?

So it'll be out with the scalpel and brass tube. Probably going to need to draw a simple etched panel to sit behind the marker light on the driver's side too:

http://www.flickr.co...els/4692210891/

http://www.flickr.co...009/7353875092/

Give them a chance!!!!!!......the first version to come out will be the 128 in its original form. There were quite a lot of changes to the prototype over the years so the tooling reflects what is sensible to do before it gets changed. All versions are planned but like everything else, it can't all be done at once.

The original version yeilds the most liveries and satisfies a larger timespan, so hopefully a larger initial sales potential. Don't be too hasty with your scalpel!

All versions are planned...

I wasn't aware of this. It sounds like you are talking with authority so I presume you've been in contact with Heljan? Good news if it is the case.

In the mean time, I'm up for the conversion challenge as it doesn't look too difficult.

cheers Tim, so the version that Heljan are doing is western region only?

Modellfair have a Silverfox LM version available - reasonable price too (no connection - just had my finger over the buy button for a while)

http://www.modelfair.com/product/44473/silver-foxbm8cgloucester-parcels-car-non-gangwayed-br-blue

Guest jim s-w

I know this is going to upset some but if you really want the LM version you could always convert one. (appologies to most for pointing out the obvious)

Cheers

Jim

sorry I didnt explain properly, what I meant was did the western region version ever venture into London midland areas.

Mike,

They did

55993 Man Vic 15 June 1985

post-1161-0-69340300-1356211490.jpg

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks, could anyone tell me if the 128's worked in Scotland, if they did what area and what year...?

Regards

Im pretty sure they didnt unfortunately

• RMweb Premium

Not to my knowledge; they were fairly restricted to LMR and WR parcels duties on set rosters.  There's always the "one that got away" however but then you might have to find a 1:76 driver with traction knowledge that far north ;)

They did venture far and wide in later years. I can't say whether they ever made it into Scotland but a red one made it to Skegness in the late 80s. If they made it that far, they could have easily wandered up the West Coast, particularly after the fire at Ayr depot when they were commandeering any available car and assembling a motley collection of units to keep services running. The Skegness one was being used as a replacement power car, IIRC in a 2 + 3 car set which had suffered a failure to the DMBS of the 2 car set. The pic used to be on the old LEYTR site and I seem to think the train was made up of a 114 DTS, a complete 117 and the 128, all allocated to Tyseley at the time.

Archived