Heljan 128

beast66606

If it is anything like Heljans other locos, it should have no problems dragging 15 or so Bachmann GUVs...

I'm looking forward to a nice late 80's refurb in Royal Mail red, with stripy doors.

I saw W55992 at Slough ex-works in red (a complete surprise) and then chased it all the way to Reading in order to take photos. My Craftsman kit is painted in the red. I have a QKits/Lima in green, too. Both those might go on ebay.....

Perhaps someone can tell us what the load limit was for one of these. I've a suspicion it was only about 2bogie vans/4 four-wheelers. Certainly wasn't a huge amount. Sometimes might run coupled to a DMS from a 117 etc to give extra capacity and a bit more grunt for haulage. Could also stand in for one of the converted cars on the Southall-Bristol railair link job and that would probably have been their longest run.

CHRIS LEIGH

I'm sure it will pull well. Heljan mechanisms are nice and heavy. Had 12 bogies behind an EM2 earlier in the week. 

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps someone can tell us what the load limit was for one of these. I've a suspicion it was only about 2bogie vans/4 four-wheelers. Certainly wasn't a huge amount. Sometimes might run coupled to a DMS from a 117 etc to give extra capacity and a bit more grunt for haulage. Could also stand in for one of the converted cars on the Southall-Bristol railair link job and that would probably have been their longest run.

CHRIS LEIGH

Right - nice and simple(ish).  On the WR a single DPU with both engines working was permitted a gross trailing weight (i.e. weight of vehicle plus the loads it/they were carrying) not exceeding 64 tons on gradients not steeper than 1 in 40.  If one engine was isolated the tail traffic was allowed to be conveyed as far as a suitable point for detaching provided no gradient steeper than 1 in 80 was encountered.

A DPU +DMU power car formation were permitted a maximum gross trailing load of 160 tons with all engines working but this was subject to special (i.e. slower than normal) timings  (although not given I presume the normal loading to run in standard DMU timings would be the sum of the two trailing loads - i.e. 64 tons for the DPU and 35 tons for the DMU power car).

To calculate the gross weight of parcels vans the tare weight was added to a tabular figure which gave a load in tons for various contents - for example a load of loaded BRUTES in an 8 wheel van was reckoned as 8 tons (5 tons in a 4 wheeler) while a load of empty BRUTES in an 8 wheeler was reckoned as 3 tons (2 tons for a 4 wheeler).  A loose stowed 8 wheeler was reckoned to have a load of5 tons and a 4 wheeler3 tons while a 'Fish Van' was also reckoned as having a load converted of 3 tons.

Now all I need to do is find my transparency of a DPU in green in its very early days at Reading.

Guest jim s-w

It's nice and heavy so should pull more than enough vans.

Does that mean it had the standard Heljan style massive cast chassis? Ergo no use for any other DMU's that are open?

Cheers

Jim

Class 128 with trailing load ( 2 GUVs )

55990 Man Vic 5th September 1981

attachicon.gif55990 MV 050981.jpg

A sight I remember well from the early 70's along with the class 50 on the Glasgow/Edinburgh, 46's on the Newcastles, 40s  in abundance as well as the 24 & 25 (Rats) and the occasional 47

If you timed it right at Piccadilly there was the 37 on the Harwich boat train and the 45 on the St Pancras.

A sight I remember well from the early 70's along with the class 50 on the Glasgow/Edinburgh, 46's on the Newcastles, 40s  in abundance as well as the 24 & 25 (Rats) and the occasional 47

If you timed it right at Piccadilly there was the 37 on the Harwich boat train and the 45 on the St Pancras.

Sigh, it was a different world back then, wasn't it?

Afraid was too young to see the 50s at Victoria but did see the Class 128 frequently normally under the roof where the trams now rum. Did see lots of 45 and 46's on the trans pennine trains and the occasional Deltic. First and only Deltic haulage was in them days up Miles Platting to Staylebridge.

A 40 on a Newcastle with 12 on from a standing start at Victoria a wonderful sound, the climb from Stalybridge to Diggle round all those bends and to be in the first coach (windows open) as it was doing 90 on the stretch after York also a great sounds.

From memory the day out on a Saturday used to be DMU Moston - Victoria passing Newton Heath,  Victoria to Newcastle arriving about 12.00, visit a couple of sheds in the area back to Newcastle returning on a Liverpool about 5.00 pm,  good days

A 40 on a Newcastle with 12 on from a standing start at Victoria a wonderful sound, the climb from Stalybridge to Diggle round all those bends and to be in the first coach (windows open) as it was doing 90 on the stretch after York also a great sounds.

Stop it, please! This is all torture... :-)

I'm sure Model Engineer had plans in it for a working Tardis.

My interest in these DPUs stems from their use on the Cambrian. Apart from dragging ballast wagons around, they worked to and from Newtown to pick up home shopping parcels from the Royal Welsh Warehouse. They worked in from Shrewsbury and were timed to only have a 10 minute layover in Newtown to load the parcels. I can just imagine the frantic scenes as parcels were just flung in through the open doors on the DPU.

My interest in these DPUs stems from their use on the Cambrian. Apart from dragging ballast wagons around, they worked to and from Newtown to pick up home shopping parcels from the Royal Welsh Warehouse. They worked in from Shrewsbury and were timed to only have a 10 minute layover in Newtown to load the parcels. I can just imagine the frantic scenes as parcels were just flung in through the open doors on the DPU.

And close to Christmas some of those parcels would have been Hornby Train sets bought out of a catalogue. Well those of you living in Mid Wales now know why your Duchess or Jinty never ran well. !!

And close to Christmas some of those parcels would have been Hornby Train sets bought out of a catalogue. Well those of you living in Mid Wales now know why your Duchess or Jinty never ran well. !!

And farther afield. I wonder if the traincrew were curious at the clink clink clink of the broken crockery as they trundled back towards England. It would make a great sound effect for a sound decoder. F12 for broken crockery, F13 for broken glass.

The other variation (in Rail Blue) is the buffers

I have shots of them with

round,  (55990,55991,55992)

oval (55993)

and clipped oval (55994,55995).

Archived