The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

27 minutes ago, Hobby said:

You mean like last season in the CL where City's Team Coach was attacked before the game at Liverpool and windows broken... And nothing was done... It's just high spirits old boy!! 

Causing damage is high spirits?

i think you need to reassess your moral compass dear boy.

You missed the "sarcastic" emoji I couldn't find, @andyram  (I suppose I could have used the "roll eyes" one but it's not very good for the level of sarcasm I was feeling!)... Obviously some fans hark back to the dark days of the 80s and want to drag everyone else down with them... I think I saw them on New Street concourse later on still being d-heads!

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hobby said:

You mean like last season in the CL where City's Team Coach was attacked before the game at Liverpool and windows broken... And nothing was done... It's just high spirits old boy!! 

That was apparently revenge by Everton fans after their fans were attacked at Man City not long before hand. Probably wouldn't have happened if they turned up on time and went the correct way.

It's not like Man City fans are exactly innocent is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6CILrBu4cY

Or their players after the sick songs they were singing after they won. You can't buy class....

Jason

Funny looking Everton fans, all dressed in Liverpool colours, sorry but that doesn't stack up from the video footage (from the Amazon Prime TV documentary)! So it's ok if they took the "wrong" route, then... Sorry no excuse, those fans were vile.

{As were the ones in that video - though it looks like some were at least arrested for throwing those water bottles and there were far fewer of them and they weren't throwing things that could break the windows, I never saw any arrests for the Liverpool incident - were there any or were Merseyside Police turning a blind eye?)

No excuse for any of it.

• Agree 1

On 28/05/2019 at 02:28, 45568 said:

but unfortunately a case too little too late has left the Premiership to "welcome" another club whose fans have a whining sense of "entitlement" because of their "history".

Absolutely correct! Whilst the other three West Midlands 'biggies', WBA, Wolves and Blues are pleasant places to be, Villa and its supporters are some the most obnoxious and self-inflated 'fans' there are. hopefully they will crash back straight out of the Premier League next season, and with a bit of luck,'do a Sunderland!!'.

Forest fan in Oz,

Peter C.

Strange how perceptions vary. I have been to all the clubs you mention as an away fan and never had the slightest issue at Villa Park. St Andrews, however, at the end of the game was like a war zone and I genuinely feared for myself and my wife's safety.

14 hours ago, andyram said:

The decision by some Leicester fans to daub bridges on the M1 with p*** taking banners was petty, proof of their sad lives but mildly amusing and was taken in the spirit it was intended,

I thought this one was amusing but the others were a bit petty and unimaginative......

827091568_TOPFLIGHTFOOTBALL.jpg.1cd1fc37f3b56c3e63e3972b7c3d417f.jpg

Edited by cary hill
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, andyram said:

In response to comments about Villa fans. I wonder if they felt their divine  right to be in the Premier League gave them the licence to launch an unprovoked attack on a Derby supporters team coach, breaking the windows and scaring young children after the game. Unacceptable! Football is about rivalry and banter is accepted. The decision by some Leicester fans to daub bridges on the M1 with p*** taking banners was petty, proof of their sad lives but mildly amusing and was taken in the spirit it was intended, as was the Florest fans love for Bobby Zamora five years ago. The reds may as well enjoy the failure of others when they have had nothing near success for a generation. But attacking a supporters coach makes these Villa fans s*** of the Earth.

Would you care to enlighten us about the huge amount of success Derby have enjoyed recently?

15 hours ago, andyram said:

In response to comments about Villa fans. I wonder if they felt their divine  right to be in the Premier League gave them the licence to launch an unprovoked attack on a Derby supporters team coach, breaking the windows and scaring young children after the game. Unacceptable! Football is about rivalry and banter is accepted. The decision by some Leicester fans to daub bridges on the M1 with p*** taking banners was petty, proof of their sad lives but mildly amusing and was taken in the spirit it was intended, as was the Florest fans love for Bobby Zamora five years ago. The reds may as well enjoy the failure of others when they have had nothing near success for a generation. But attacking a supporters coach makes these Villa fans s*** of the Earth.

Oh c'mon Andy, it's sad to type the words "it's football" but it's football.  No excuses for it at all whether it is the opposing team or fans.  I can understand to some extent that these morons attack a team coach on the way to a game because they must think it will upset that team ahd affect their play.  There are always morons in football whether its racism, extremism or just this total stupidity against fans.

It isn't just football is it, the recent climate protests in London where stupid actions occurred and the threats of action against a 2nd referendum are both clear instances.  Football just seems to bring out the idiot in the village idiot.

I am pretty sure in one of the play off matches last Saturday or Sunday I saw a blow up banana being waved.  Hopefully it was because of some othe reason than racism.

• Agree 1

On 28/05/2019 at 15:13, lightengine said:

In youth football we had a ref that wouldn't the let kids play without shinpads.

He was quite correct! Shinguards are mandatory kit under the Laws of the Game. The ref. could send you from the field to correct the lack of them.

7 minutes ago, 62613 said:

He was quite correct! Shinguards are mandatory kit under the Laws of the Game. The ref. could send you from the field to correct the lack of them.

Luckily for Jack Grealish, Norman Hunter, Billy Bremner, Graham Souness and similar don't play any more

2 hours ago, lightengine said:

Oh c'mon Andy, it's sad to type the words "it's football" but it's football.  No excuses for it at all whether it is the opposing team or fans.  I can understand to some extent that these morons attack a team coach on the way to a game because they must think it will upset that team ahd affect their play.  There are always morons in football whether its racism, extremism or just this total stupidity against fans.

It isn't just football is it, the recent climate protests in London where stupid actions occurred and the threats of action against a 2nd referendum are both clear instances.  Football just seems to bring out the idiot in the village idiot.

I am pretty sure in one of the play off matches last Saturday or Sunday I saw a blow up banana being waved.  Hopefully it was because of some othe reason than racism.

I am not sure I understand your point. Are you ACTUALLY CONDONING the actions of these morons???? If so then I seriously pity you. 

2 hours ago, Rob F said:

Would you care to enlighten us about the huge amount of success Derby have enjoyed recently?

Did I say success? All I suggested was that the Rams had finished above the Reds year on year for many years. Also we have made the Play Offs several times in the last few seasons. Ok we did not get all the way, but I would rather look at those seasons than Forest's most recent notable achievement - avoiding relegation on the last day of the season.

3 hours ago, cary hill said:

I thought this one was amusing but the others were a bit petty and unimaginative......

827091568_TOPFLIGHTFOOTBALL.jpg.1cd1fc37f3b56c3e63e3972b7c3d417f.jpg

Like I said, it was taken in the spirit it was intended. An amusing bit of banter. 

29 minutes ago, andyram said:

I am not sure I understand your point. Are you ACTUALLY CONDONING the actions of these morons???? If so then I seriously pity you. 

I don't think he is condoning it, just suggesting that it is wrong to tar all the fans of a club with the same brush because of the actions of some idiots. The only time I have been on a supporters coach that was bricked was leaving Pride Park on the night Rob Earnshaw scored the winner for Forest...….

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Rob F said:

I don't think he is condoning it, just suggesting that it is wrong to tar all the fans of a club with the same brush because of the actions of some idiots. The only time I have been on a supporters coach that was bricked was leaving Pride Park on the night Rob Earnshaw scored the winner for Forest...….

Nor was I suggesting that all fans are the same. Sadly all clubs have the moronic elements. Some more than others. I was merely pointing out the difference between a harmless banner and a full on attack on a coach. Having likewise suffered similar events against Forest and Stoke it can be a scary situation. 

No wonder Derby went "missing" for large parts of the  game at Wembley - I'm just watching the Europa League Final from darkest Asia and there's loads of people in white shirts and black shorts prancing about on the pitch as part of the pre-match entertainment.

1 hour ago, andyram said:

You cannot have read my 2nd sentence.  It's unfortunate that this kind of thing exists but it does.

I am sure Derby fans behave just as appallingly at times, if not the same manner, in a similar manner.

Talking of scary occasions Andy, years ago we stopped in a carvery type pub in Derby.  4 of us and 4 kids.  My 7 year old son accidentally knocked a girl whilst playing on the playground slide.  Her older brother (about 12) threatened him and then went off home to get a knife.  We all withdrew to another eating establishment.

Edited by lightengine

5 minutes ago, lightengine said:

You cannot have read my 2nd sentence.  It's unfortunate that this kind of thing exists but it does.

I am sure Derby fans behave just as appallingly at times, if not the same manner, in a similar manner.

Fair enough. I may have misread your post. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, andyram said:

Nor was I suggesting that all fans are the same. Sadly all clubs have the moronic elements. Some more than others. I was merely pointing out the difference between a harmless banner and a full on attack on a coach. Having likewise suffered similar events against Forest and Stoke it can be a scary situation. 

Worst experience I had was Villa playing at Plymouth around 1971. There were only a few of us there, no motorway south of the M50 in those days so a 5am start to get there on the club coach. There were about 50 of us behind one goal where the police had guided us to stand. They warned us we were about to be attacked and gave us some instructions. About 100 Plymouth fans ran across the pitch and on the instructions of the Inspector in charge we made a rapid move stage left as they came over the wall. Behind us were a couple of dozen baton waving Devonport constables and two dogs. In retaliation they ambushed and bricked our coach as we left the ground.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
Typo
  • Friendly/supportive 3