The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Football Focus

S.A.C Martin

Sissoko had his arm up and if you watch, his finger was extended pointing (to someone behind him) to move toward the goal.

Mane noticed the hand up and if you watch closely he shuffles his feet so as to be able to flip the ball upwards deliberately targetting Sissoko's arm.

No excuses, Sissoko should be more aware.

• RMweb Gold

As a Liverpool fan delighted that 'we' won but totally agree poor match considering how the semi- finals played out especially. Klopp said they had no fuel in the tank and neither team did I think it was played too long after the end of the domestic season and it showed. Penalty was lucky glad there was a second goal wouldn't have liked to have won 1-0 with that penalty the winner.

Really hope next year it is spurs who get to the final and win just as long as it's not Liverpool they face.

Hopefully this will now shut up that rent a gob Adrian Durham on talksport with his - yes but when you look at it what has Klopp actually won- his anti- Liverpool bias is obvious!

Trouble was the match was played so long after both teams last competitive matches.  It often affects teams. Spurs didn't even play a friendly during that time, although apparently they walked over hot coals.

At least Salah stayed on the pitch and didn't try to get away on holiday too early this year.

Why does his Liverpool shirt have M Salah?  It's not as if they have several Salahs in the squad.

This international name thingy is probably involved in his shirt, where other nations use the family name first. 

Last week whilst on the phone to my broadband supplier I was asked if they could call me by my 1st name.  After being switched to the right department I was called Mr Peter for the rest of the time.

• Funny 1

Really gutted the spurs lost last night more so for the fact it was a poor game, I didn't think they did themselves justice, I thought if they pressed and played with pace, like they can, although it would have been tough in that heat! it could have been a different result. Personally would have started with Lucas and left Harry on the bench to come on for the last 40 mins or so, but having said that he wasn't any worse than anyone else.Think both teams struggled to get going, not sure that Liverpool did, the 3 week break after the season showed. Well done Klopp and Liverpool, thought they had a bit more quality in certain areas. As a lifelong Spurs fan I just hope better things are round the corner and this wont be the last chance.

roll on next season.

Steve.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

NOT !

A poor final.

Liverpool, pretty awful for most of the match. Lucky start with the penalty.

Spurs, has most of the possession, but didn't dominate. Completely toothless upfront.

Nobody deserved to win.

It weren't great to watch as a game but Liverpool scored and Spurs didn't......Liverpool worth the win...coz someone had to on the night and putting the ball in the net makes them deserved winners in my book...but i'm a Arsenal fan so slightly...biased on this one:)

it improved my painful abuse filled week some what...wasn't a penalty and as always these decisions changed the game

The handball rules are a shambles and have been further complicated by VAR. Stupid labels like 'intent', 'unnatural body shape', 'hand to ball' or 'ball to hand' do annoy many. I don't know what the answer is but clarity is desperately needed. 

As the dust settled it is clear that there is a general disappointment that neither team really turned up. It's 2 hours of my life I will never get back! The 3 week break thing, blaming it for disrupting the pattern of the season, doesn't really make sense, as players at the top end of the game are always complain about being tired! It was talked of as a positive in the build-up, allowing both coaches to spend lots of time working with the players both physically and tactically, but after the dross stirred up last night, it is now being criticised. 

I particularly feel sorry for Spurs fans as this is likely to be their one chance at a European Cup triumph. It seems as if some of the players will be off over the summer - notably Eriksen - but the most important thing is to convince Pochettino to stay. He will only do that if Levy gives him substantial funds to invest in players. I heard a stat today that Newcastle have spent more on player wages and transfer fees in the last 5 years than Tottenham have. That's all the more remarkable given the Mags had a season in the Championship during that time. Ultimately, Poch has worked a minor miracle to get Spurs to the level they are currently at and to make them competitive with the likes of Man City and Liverpool. On that basis I think he is the best coach in the country.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, Markwj said:

Hopefully this will now shut up that rent a gob Adrian Durham on talksport

I cannot stand that man or the show...... What with him and the 'professional Yorkshireman' that is Darren Gough, I never listen at that time of day. It is only my opinion, but often Talksport just seems to appeal to the lowest common denominator, promoting controversial views and staging arguments just for the sake of it. Durham, Dean Saunders and the somewhat self-centres and self-promoting Jim White are particularly riling! 

Having said that, it is clearly popular and obviously works. I do quite like listening to Alan Brazil, often just for the tales of his close to the edge lifestyle, and also H&J on an afternoon. The highlights are definitely on a weekend though - I love Georgie Bingham as a presenter at breakfast, she's a star and so knowledgeable about such a range of sports, and my favourite programme of the week is Max Rushden and Barry Glendinning on a Sunday morning. 

Despite all that waffle, I much prefer 5 Live...... give me Chappers and co any day! If I was only able to listen to one show it would undoubtedly be the Monday Night Club.... highlight of my week!!

Interesting reading this week as the retained players lists for clubs are published. Lots of speculation about where free agents could end up. The two that stand out to me are undoubtedly Andy Carroll and Daniel Sturridge, two players who have seen their careers blighted by injury and whom should have gone on to much bigger and better things. Totally different kind of strikers but both are unplayable in their day. It's just so sad that neither can stay for and ultimately you can have all the talent in the world but if you can't get on the pitch then you're no use to anyone. I would imagine both would probably be limited to 'pay as you play' deals given the injury track record but both still have a lot to offer if they can stay fit. You wonder whether there is anyone in the Premier League who will take a chance or whether they will need to be looking at moving abroad or dropping down to the Championship? 

• RMweb Premium
On 05/06/2019 at 14:48, south_tyne said:

Interesting reading this week as the retained players lists for clubs are published. Lots of speculation about where free agents could end up. The two that stand out to me are undoubtedly Andy Carroll and Daniel Sturridge, two players who have seen their careers blighted by injury and whom should have gone on to much bigger and better things. Totally different kind of strikers but both are unplayable in their day. It's just so sad that neither can stay for and ultimately you can have all the talent in the world but if you can't get on the pitch then you're no use to anyone. I would imagine both would probably be limited to 'pay as you play' deals given the injury track record but both still have a lot to offer if they can stay fit. You wonder whether there is anyone in the Premier League who will take a chance or whether they will need to be looking at moving abroad or dropping down to the Championship? 

I was wondering if Sturridge might be reunited with Brendan at Leicester. He was part of the Liverpool team that almost won the league under Rogers and Leicester desperately need someone who can stick the ball in the net without always relying on Jamie Vardy. Scoring goals on a regular basis is something that Iheancho and Demarai Gray have singularly failed to do. And as for Islam Slimani . . .

Leicester have some terrific players and, along with Wolves, could just profit from any more stumbles by the infamous 'top six'.

David

• Like 1

6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

.... and the England fans go 'abroad' and embarrass themselves once again. Sometimes I wonder about this world......

They go abroad, sit in the sun drinking beers that are stronger than the gnats p1ss at home and drink all day.

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, lightengine said:

They go abroad, sit in the sun drinking beers that are stronger than the gnats p1ss at home and drink all day.

It's moronic isn't it. How can tens of thousands of Spurs and Liverpool fans head to Madrid in their droves without a pick of bother but when England fans go away, for let's face what is little more than a glorified friendly, they behave like that. I'm sick of the argument that it's a minority, it isn't everyone but it's not just a handful. Singing ridiculous racist songs about Ireland and Germany isn't big, isn't clever and definitely isn't 'banter'. It is this kind of behaviour that meant I stopped following and supporting England a long time ago. I would be all for UEFA or FIFA banning England fans from away fixtures because nothing else has worked to date. If it was fans from Spain, Italy or god forbid Eastern Europe, behaving like that, imagine what the Daily Mail would have to say....... 

Apologies, rant over...... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, DavidLong said:

I was wondering if Sturridge might be reunited with Brendan at Leicester. He was part of the Liverpool team that almost won the league under Rogers and Leicester desperately need someone who can stick the ball in the net without always relying on Jamie Vardy. Scoring goals on a regular basis is something that Iheancho and Demarai Gray have singularly failed to do. And as for Islam Slimani . . .

Leicester have some terrific players and, along with Wolves, could just profit from any more stumbles by the infamous 'top six'.

David

It's definitely a possibility. I just wonder whether he is too much of an injury liability, despite the undoubted talent. Support and ultimately a long-term replacement for Vardy is needed, I'm just not sure Sturridge is the answer. A pay as you play deal is probably the only scenario by which I would take a gamble. 

I thought Iheanacho always looked a quality player in his brief cameos for Man City, but he has been a flop since moving to Leicester. Again he I very injury prone. 

15 hours ago, lightengine said:

Once again commentators and pundits were talking pre-match about silverware.

Just talk about the silverware once your captain has it raised in both hands.

It's not just tennis, it seems to be a British media disease. Johanna Konta reaches the semi-finals of the French Open tennis, and immediately certain commentators were assuming her first tournament victory was just a formality - and I did hear someone mention that she must now be favourite to win Wimbledon. 

What happens? She loses her semi-final match, and no doubt the same pundits will now be slagging off her style, ability, dedication, etc. 

I suppose they believe it keeps them in a job. 

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, gwrrob said:

How's that going to work with three teams in Birmingham wanting to play on a Saturday afternoon.

As we used to do it in the school playground - one game up and down the field and one game across.