The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

I thought his looked familiar! I can't remember why I had it but I can assure you it was not to paint or build the bogies! I think I just numbered it. Can you not use the casting from the bogies once they have fallen off? I notice that the axlebox/hornguides are in upside down and the radial axle casting for the front pony wheel is in the wrong way round.

post-6766-0-32888700-1380911408.jpg

post-6766-0-26753100-1380911410.jpg

post-6766-0-10935400-1380911412.jpg

Hello Sean,

you can see the radial axle box in this photo it's the crescent shaped box with the pony axle going through it. The points on it are pointing to the front whereas they should point to the rear.

At one time JLTRT had some of their instructions on the web site.

OzzyO. 

Well Sean I hope you are taking all this terminology in!

Picture showing the radial box the correct way round which makes the axle follow the curve of the track.

post-6766-0-67989100-1380978000.jpg

Also picture of the hornguides showing that they taper towards the top. Glad you and Mike have managed to salvage most of it. If you are not sure what's missing take a couple of pictures of what you have and I can see what is missing, I hope!

post-6766-0-48641700-1380977998.jpg

Hi Sean,

it was nice to bump into you at last. it good to see some of your work in the flesh. 

The rebuilt peak bogie looks supurb hope the other one, hope the other one turns out the same.

Cheers

Al Taylor

I'm trying to think of a funny comment to add to this but so far the only ones I can think of would either get me locked up or worse still evicted from the Forum!

The comments I could make or my thoughts about Sophie Rayworth would certainly see my posts moderated! :D

It turns out Sophie Rayworth is more photogenic than George Osbourne.....!

I'm worried that this thought has only just occurred to you! ;)

• RMweb Premium

The comments I could make or my thoughts about Sophie Rayworth would certainly see my posts moderated! :D

I'm worried that this thought has only just occurred to you! ;)

Actually most of the rest of the cabinet are more photogenic than George Osborne and that is saying something.

There is a web site where you can vote on sexiest MP which is worth a laugh.

I am in a similar family position as you Sean, the joys of day time tv didn't ever really had or do for me. But I know what you mean how any of our older say less active members of our community dont go mad from the same old same old amazes me.

My mum turned 71 doesnt put the tv in hers til 1 for the national news then its off til after five.

Me between caring duties for my partner is the main reason why my builds have exploded over the last few months. It is a real test mentally and a pleasent challenge, Very therpupatic too.

Also a great way to make use of time not just occupying it

Oh and the improvements to the peak look good too!

I am in a similar family position as you Sean, the joys of day time tv didn't ever really had or do for me. But I know what you mean how any of our older say less active members of our community dont go mad from the same old same old amazes me.

My mum turned 71 doesnt put the tv in hers til 1 for the national news then its off til after five.

Me between caring duties for my partner is the main reason why my builds have exploded over the last few months. It is a real test mentally and a pleasent challenge, Very therpupatic too.

Also a great way to make use of time not just occupying it

Oh and the improvements to the peak look good too!

Well done you, you might be interested in this recent Aussie perspectivehttp://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/campaign-presents-the-unpaid-carers-daily-life/story-fn59niix-1226735079091

Hi Sean,

looking good, the headcode should have a cab between the 2nd and 3rd digits. The headcode mechanisim was used from when it had centre split headcode panels.

Hope that hepls Sean.

Al Taylor.

I read it as "Gap" Tony.....

Predictive text I suppose!  Yes that makes sence - they would be spaced out slightly differently. I always wondered why the 'one piece headcodes with a divider' were replaced. I even noticed how different all the Peaks were with headcode configurations when spotting at Leicester about 1971-3 and did little drawings in the back of my trainspotting books.........

Tony

Lets see some of the 128 chassis detail then Sean!

The Hornby 110 if yours is 4mm I dont think is that bad a model but like anything of an age gone, with a little TLC can create a strong model. I did a 104 TBS (l) years ago from a TS and DBS shells.

Whats the base model of the 128? I suppose it is mentioned up the thread... :) edit after Sean added pics!!

And yep it appeared as if by magic, nice looking model

The 104 TBS I did was to represent I think a sole vehicle allocated to Chester for a year or so.

I tackled the crease on the tumblehome with a seam scraper, which some fifteen years on from a distant memory was easy enough to acheive. Doors were rescribed.

Isn't the wheel base spaced incorrectly too?

And I've just put the 128 back in the loft Ian.....

Next time I'm up there, I'll get it out again. Hmmmn, yes, I think the 110 is still a good model. I have 2 x 3 car sets to do as well as 2 x 4 car class 104's to do with the TBS conversion. I'll be putting a 101 centre car in one of them, as was the local practice round these parts in the late 60's. Nothing ever seemed to be formed into a uniform set. I will try and smooth out the tumblehome on each car too as I reckon this, (and the ill defined door frames), is what lets the model down most.

Cheers.

Sean.

DMU modelling done to a standard is all good stuff.

Crack on with the units Sean!

I found a DC kits 128 few months back at my Mum's maybe with some Heljan spares it could shake together well.

I had a Silverfox body on last inspection it had started to go a little banana shaped.

Go on have a look over those 110's!

http://www.micromark.com/seam-scraper,7547.html

Only thing is it did not cost anywhere near that! Thing is though it does work. Someone over here must do an equivalent?

Well. I'll be gallivanting off to Harrogate again in a few weeks for some post op R + R Ian, so I think it would make sense to just have one thing out on the work bench in the intervening weeks, but once I'm back, if the Trans - Pennine sides are not ready, I'll root out the Calder Valley equivelant for you and see how I get on with them.

Incidentally, do you still have the "scraper" you mentioned above? I might look out for one if you can post a picture, I was considering a rough file and some fine wet and dry, but if there's a tried and tested tool out there, I may as well make use of it.....

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi OzzyO,

My Micromark version is a fine balanced tool, visually the one on the right looks most like the Micromark one.

I guess it all depends on the quality of the cutting edge. It basically is a nice chunky blade that uses mass of itself in a way to remove seams or surface detail. A simple but effective tool.

http://www.affinitymodels.co.uk/p76797/SQUADRON-SEAM-SCRAPER/c0-6473-13802 another version of the same tool.

Seems (sic) that they are a big plastic kit tool.

Shame in a way all that detail is I suppose going to be covered in grime and gunk!

Nice work again Sean.

Hi all.

You can tell I'm laid up on the sofa by my daily updates! Todays challenge was to be able to say that, constructionwise, the 27 is complete and for now, it is.....

This morning, using Brian Daniels project as a guide, I made a representation of what can be seen beneath a non boilered 27 when the water tank is not present. For the definative answer, please have a look at Brians thread, but for an "if it looks right, it is right" perspective, (using the Heljan mouldings and some bits from the scrap box), look no further.....

attachicon.gif20131017_120409.jpg

attachicon.gif20131017_120338.jpg

This one is now ready for paint which will have to be done outside and so may be sidelined until the weather improves. Next task is to finish the class 26 cantrail grills..... How long have I been saying that?

Cheers.

Sean.

post-7587-0-95732800-1382217561.jpg

Hi Sean,

Just did a little trial on the TSO 2d to remove the window frames, they were removed first pass top frame, bottom frame, then up down along the coach. Another go and I was almost there. One lighter pass and its job virtually done.

Seamscrapers are a useful tool, well happy with mine. It is in the top of the picture just to proove I do own one.

I have one of the same combinations as your good self, I bought the wild swan profile book to accompany the build, but baulked at how nice a set of parts you get from Brassmasters and Bachmann tooling isnt bad either is it?

Not into (into) steamers but its one of a handful of locomotives I own.

Ok I love all forms of UK railways but like the last forty years more.

Hi Sean, I just love to read and be in a position of having the best references to hand, it is a good book about Horwich Crab's, I guess for some it wouldnt be of value to some as its all about the prototype. I think though for some of us it is a must have!

Hi Ian.

Is the book worth investing in? I have Brassmasters kits for this one and 3 Black 5's. I also have a Jubilee, 4mt tender loco and a 2-6-4 tank to detail, (not sure if you can get/need detail kits for the last 3 although I assume the Black 5 kit may do for the Jubilee?). Dos this boom just cober the Crabs?

I have no reference books as such, so should really be looking for a good one to loan or buy. I'll perhaps see where I go with this first one before throwing lots of cash at steamy projects.

Cheers.

Sean.

Archived