The Penguins workbench - Trans Pennine transformation part 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Sean. I'm glad you're going to add a little weathering to the DMC. I've just found a photo' of a class 124 DMC in an old Ian Allan ABC for 1970. On page 87, there is a photo' of NE51963. The yellow of the cab is wrapped round onto the driver's door, and the number is at the 'wrong' end next to the driver's door on the driver's side of the car, underneath the first of the big saloon windows. The number is also in the 'small' font(which I believe was a Scottish variation). It's remarkable what you can find in these old ABC's. I hope that you can get access to a copy of it, for on page 106 is a photo' of a Trailer Buffet car as well.

All the best,

Market65.

Hi, Sean. I'm glad you're going to add a little weathering to the DMC. I've just found a photo' of a class 124 DMC in an old Ian Allan ABC for 1970. On page 87, there is a photo' of NE51963. The yellow of the cab is wrapped round onto the driver's door, and the number is at the 'wrong' end next to the driver's door on the driver's side of the car, underneath the first of the big saloon windows. The number is also in the 'small' font(which I believe was a Scottish variation). It's remarkable what you can find in these old ABC's. I hope that you can get access to a copy of it, for on page 106 is a photo' of a Trailer Buffet car as well.

All the best,

Market65.

IIRC the 'wrong end' numbers and small font were an early rendition of the Blue Grey livery vehicle ID's, and I'm sure that the vehicles so outshopped had brown underframes.

• RMweb Gold

That would probably put my effort into the early 70's with its Black underframe and Right hand numbers Andrew.

Still, it is still going to be coupled to 5 Green vehicles at some point in the future...... because I can..... :). It's too late in the build for me to move numbers etc and I'm still dead against Yellow drivers cab doors, uurgh! ;)

Cheers.

Sean.

it might be to late for this one. But you could always build a second.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Sean. A good photo' there. This is the kind of thing which I'm searching for in relation to my work of a complete reconstruction of the former class 110 (Hornby). Terrible trouble trying to get the Rolls-Royce engines right!  Anyway, well done again with your class 124 DMC.

All the best,

Market65.

IIRC the 'wrong end' numbers and small font were an early rendition of the Blue Grey livery vehicle ID's, and I'm sure that the vehicles so outshopped had brown underframes.

The brown under frames lasted till around 1978 when bogie black became the choice for under frame and bogies.

Al Taylor

By some strange coincidence Market, I have all the parts in the box to do 2 x 3 car 110s and 2 x 4 car 104s. When I, (eventually), get round to them, my first aim is to reprofile that awful bodyside with the crease down the sides.

Best stay focussed on matters at hand first though!

Cheers.

Sean.

Even stranger coincidence - so have I ! (but only 1 104) and a 4 car 101 with TSB

My matter at hand is the completion of my narrowboat fitout first.

Hi all.

..... I'll paint it Black and pick out the details, but think it should look ok. I know it wont be exact, but I wanted to get the feel of that MkII Vauxhall Cresta dashboard look......

Cheers.

Sean.

**Edit**

Scroll down through the pictures in the link and you'll find a good one of the cab interior.....

Hello PoD,

don't paint the control desk "black" go for a dark charcoal grey, IIRC the desk had a sort of leatherette type of finish until a lot of them got painted a mid grey.

The DMC is looking very nice, I always thought that these were the best looking of all of the 1st gen. DMUs.

OzzyO. 

Hello PoD,

don't paint the control desk "black" go for a dark charcoal grey, IIRC the desk had a sort of leatherette type of finish until a lot of them got painted a mid grey.

The DMC is looking very nice, I always thought that these were the best looking of all of the 1st gen. DMUs.

OzzyO. 

The desks on a Pennine where painted matt black.  I never saw one painted any other colour and I have worked on all of them and painted one or two of them.

I'll have to go with 45125s comments on this occasion OzzyO, (although I always value your informed and useful opinions). I have the recently published issue of "Modern Locomotives Illustrated", focussing on the 1st generation DMUs and within its pages is a picture of a T - P cab and its dashboard is Black. I'll compensate with some fine detail in Grey for you though.

Cheers.

Sean.

Not a problem Seam, I was going on a memory from a very long time ago, and 45125 did work on them so his memory will be better than mine.

OzzyO.

I have one of those waiting in the wings OzzyO, (the work bench has big wings), and I'm sure I picked this one as one of a choice of two. There were two based at Whitby at some point in the 60's and if memory serves, they are both now preserved.

Cheers.

Sean.

Not sure about Whitby but IIRC both of them were withdrawn from Bradford the locos being 42073 and 42085.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Sean. In the book 'Hudson's Way, The Story Of The York - Beverley Railway', by Stephen  Chapman, on page 34, there is reference to 42085 whilst at York working an Inspection Saloon over the line sometime in 1962.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

Assuming I'm understanding the problem Sean.

Done this on BSL coaches.

Split the seating unit along it's full length and put it in as two long halves, any mis match in the floor cant be seen, and compartment walls can be inserted split vertically and glued back together.

Mike.

• 1 month later...

Only in BR Corporate days could they stick an overhead warning sticker to the lovely carefully designed curved windscreen glass.........

Tony

Where else would you put it?.....................as the spec place it has high as possible on the front end.

Archived