Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Hi Steven

If you only did a 1 off you'd be talking about £50 a sheet for an 8"x12". That includes the tool. For 2 of the same about £30 a sheet, 4 about £20, 10 sheets work out about £14 each.

HTH

Jim

Hi, Jim

Thanks for your back-up information

Cost for a single sheet of plasticard would be about £2, of course all the work would be down to the modeller

At the end of the day only the individual modeller can decide on the play-off between cost / skill / time, there is no one solution

Ron

Ron, might seem like a daft question, can you get all your modelling bits and pieces in Spain?

Hi,

The quick answer is no

Card, etc. Yes

Plasticard, etc. No

MEK/Butanone, Yes

Plastic Weld, No

Acrylic /Enamel paints, Yes

Locos, Rolling Stock, Track components, etc. No

Family in the UK and Mail order/Online suppliers are the norm. for railway modellers

Ron

• RMweb Premium

An 8 pack - Brilliant! I used to walk around that part of town when I lived in Manchester a few years ago - brilliant to see it in model form!

How far down the line will you be modelling? Will it include the buildings along Deansgate?

Keep up the good work

Simon

An 8 pack - Brilliant! I used to walk around that part of town when I lived in Manchester a few years ago - brilliant to see it in model form!

How far down the line will you be modelling? Will it include the buildings along Deansgate?

Keep up the good work

Simon

Hi, Simon

Thanks for your interest

The extent of the model is shown in My Gallery - Extent of Layout

The model will include the full extent of the Castlefield Viaduct 1894 - Bridge sections - approx. 4.6m long (4mm scale)

I have not yet decided to model the shops along the Eastern side of Deansgate backing on to the GN Goods Warehouse and Goods Yard. I have the architectural detail, but very few pictures showing the shop frontages during the period 1950-1965. I can remember visiting a few of them especially the Artist/Architects Supplies shop during the late 50's and early 60's

Ron

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Maybe the Deansgate shops and pavement/half the road could be part of the detachable Goods Yard bit? My old letting agent was in that row and it was always my favourite building on the street :D

I'll keep my eyes peeled for pictures.

Simon

Hi,

Maybe the Deansgate shops and pavement/half the road could be part of the detachable Goods Yard bit? My old letting agent was in that row and it was always my favourite building on the street :D

I'll keep my eyes peeled for pictures.

Simon

Hi, Simon

Yes, that could be done quite easily as there is no real space restrictions along that side of the baseboards

Thanks for keeping a look out for pics. I have all the Manchester Central Library Archive photos.

Ron

• Like 1

The more I see of your work, Ron, the more impressed I am. In fact I don't think 'impressed' is strong enough, more like awed.

I think it's partly that I knew and loved this station when I was a boy, and that my favourite pre-group railway ran into it. But I like to think that I'm fair enough in my nature to appreciate something like this whatever the prototype. Anyway, I'm very grateful to you for putting it on here and letting us see it.

The more I see of your work, Ron, the more impressed I am. In fact I don't think 'impressed' is strong enough, more like awed.

I think it's partly that I knew and loved this station when I was a boy, and that my favourite pre-group railway ran into it. But I like to think that I'm fair enough in my nature to appreciate something like this whatever the prototype. Anyway, I'm very grateful to you for putting it on here and letting us see it.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments

Your favourite pre-group railway wouldn't be Great Central by any chance? Most of the presently available literature seems to centre around the GCR extension into London

Ron

Hi,

Thanks for your comments

Your favourite pre-group railway wouldn't be Great Central by any chance? Most of the presently available literature seems to centre around the GCR extension into London

Ron

Did someone say Great Central Railway? I am doing a part of the GCR around Loughborough and part Toton. Well i will be once i have somewhere of my own and the layout being set up! I maybe coming to you for some buildings Ron!

Did someone say Great Central Railway? I am doing a part of the GCR around Loughborough and part Toton. Well i will be once i have somewhere of my own and the layout being set up! I maybe coming to you for some buildings Ron!

Hi, Ian

Good to know there are some out there, who acknowledge the pre-grouping mainstays

Any help I can give just ask

Ron

CORNBROOK VIADUCT - BRIDGE #2

- Continuation

Just a couple of pictures of progress yesterday

post-10633-0-14008600-1298565809_thumb.jpg

Bridge Span - West [Overall length - 848mm, Height - 87mm]

Halfway - showing Cross-braced Trusses in place on Outer Lattice work bracing - Internal View

post-10633-0-49950800-1298565912_thumb.jpg

Bridge Span - West [Overall length - 848mm, Height - 87mm]

Halfway - showing Cross-braced Trusses in place on Outer Lattice work bracing - External View

- to be continued

• Like 5

Have visited MOSI today, and whilst sat on a carriage behind Planet, I chanced to glance across the main line and noticed a turreted bridge very similar to this one. Am I right in thinking this is the Castlefield Viaduct you are modelling?

Absolutely fantastic modelling by the way, it's been a joy to read this thread.

Have visited MOSI today, and whilst sat on a carriage behind Planet, I chanced to glance across the main line and noticed a turreted bridge very similar to this one. Am I right in thinking this is the Castlefield Viaduct you are modelling?

Absolutely fantastic modelling by the way, it's been a joy to read this thread.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments

The turreted bridge which is nearest to MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) is the Castlefield Viaduct Bridge - 1894 (Trial build is shown in My Gallery), the one which I am currently building is immediately behind and alongside, which also has turrets this one being the Cornbrook Viaduct Bridge #2 - 1877. The #1 bridge, which is also behind the Castlefield Viaduct does not have turrets

Ron

Ron, looking at all this wonderfully intricate lattice work fully assembled, I can't help being curious about how you're going to paint it with all those nooks and crannies. Have you done any trials yet?

Hi,

Previous trial builds showed that a number of shallow spraying passes in all directions, generally got paint into all visible nooks & crannies. At least with the openness of the structures, if you can see the odd corners then you can get paint into them

If I think that any particular spots are gonig to present a problem then an initial touch with a fine brush before spraying should fix it

Ron

Hi,

Thanks for your comments

The turreted bridge which is nearest to MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) is the Castlefield Viaduct Bridge - 1894 (Trial build is shown in My Gallery), the one which I am currently building is immediately behind and alongside, which also has turrets this one being the Cornbrook Viaduct Bridge #2 - 1877. The #1 bridge, which is also behind the Castlefield Viaduct does not have turrets

Ron

Ahh, right. I was mesmerised by a lot of the bridges around that area, they certainly wanted to show Manchester off to the World with the wonderfully intricate designs of something as normal as a bridge.

Driven past a lot of it when I worked just off Eccles New Road, but never really noticed much of it. It was nice to walk and take the time to notice.

Ahh, right. I was mesmerised by a lot of the bridges around that area, they certainly wanted to show Manchester off to the World with the wonderfully intricate designs of something as normal as a bridge.

Driven past a lot of it when I worked just off Eccles New Road, but never really noticed much of it. It was nice to walk and take the time to notice.

Hi,

Yes there are certainly a great number of bridges in that area, and I have not even mentioned all the MSJ&R bridges, which parallel the Castlefield & Cornbrook viaducts

Ron

This really is an incredible project with absolutely stunning levels of detail. I have really enjoyed reading through your thread and find it truly amazing what you have achieved.

First of all the station canopy, then the buildings and structures and now the bridges, I just find that I cannot stop looking!

Many thanks for sharing this with us, truly inspirational.

• 2 weeks later...

CORNBROOK VIADUCT - BRIDGE #2

- Continuation

Each truss was taking approx. 30 minutes, so I had to come up with some means of speeding up the process

post-10633-0-03086900-1299441351_thumb.png

A paper template - to produce 25 trusses at a time - just 2 hours work

post-10633-0-19662400-1299440796_thumb.jpg

A 25 truss assembly - to be separated into individual trusses

post-10633-0-58201400-1299441008_thumb.jpg

All trusses fixed in place

post-10633-0-18697700-1299441102_thumb.jpg

Close-up of central area - showing the interlaced trusses

post-10633-0-96996300-1299441198_thumb.jpg

Close-up of central area - viewed from outside through the lattice work

Now to add the internal lattice work, and complete the top & bottom span beams

- to be continued

• Like 5

I have managed to unbox the Train Shed Rear Glazed Gable, and have taken a few photos -

post-10633-0-71817700-1299442792_thumb.jpg

Gable with transoms - Internal view from North West

post-10633-0-43166000-1299443029_thumb.jpg

Gable with transoms- External view from South West

post-10633-0-64138200-1299442875_thumb.jpg

Overhead view - showing internal bracing & trussing

post-10633-0-89901600-1299443142_thumb.jpg

Close-up showing maintenance walkway (handrailing to be added when finally installed on the layout)

post-10633-0-96311700-1299443495_thumb.jpg

Close-up showing underside of maintenance walkway

post-10633-0-20296000-1299443584_thumb.jpg

Transom detail with smoke/steam deflector

post-10633-0-17336700-1299443682_thumb.jpg

Decorative Gusset - matches the external canopy gussets

• Like 12