Manchester Central, CLC & GN Warehouses & Castlefield Viaducts

Ron Heggs

Well the stress/loading test has been completed ...:drink_mini:

40_051232_570000000.jpg

13 cans in total - 4.29 kg (9.438 lbs) :unsure: .... could have put 14 on the bridge, but the last one would be sitting on the bridge support :rolleyes:

.. there was slight bending outwards at the top of the span beams, when the overhead bracing beams are fitted this will correct it

40_051233_210000000.jpg

There was a 2mm deflection in the centre of the bridge, and note the rippling of the unbraced lattice bracings - all of which has disappeared now the load has been removed B)

... successful test with no permanent damage :good_mini:

... and 13 wasn't a unlucky number :laugh_mini2:

Ron,

what would that load of 13 tinnies equate to in full size? Do you know?

Fantastic modeling.

OzzyO.

• Like 1

I've been reading through this thread the last couple of days, and all I can say is... I've a bruised chin from every time the jaw has gaped open and smacked the desk!

That is some impressive bit of modelling, and I can't wait to see what this will look like when it's finished as I can't remember what Central and Castlefields looked like before it changed.

Ron,

what would that load of 13 tinnies equate to in full size? Do you know?

Fantastic modeling.

OzzyO.

Hi,

Well, mass is directly related to volume, and volume is the cube of the linear dimension - at a scale of 1:76 the scale mass is 1: 438976. That makes the weight of 13 cans which is 4.29 kg equivalent to 1883.2 metric tons

This bridge section could in reality have carried four steam locos plus two coaches simultaneously (two passing double-headed trains), which would have been say 700 tons. On the basis that a working weight tolerance of 100% was built into the design loading, then approx. 1400 tons could have been the likely design loading - I am no bridge engineer

It is unlikely that the Midland Railways CE weight limit is still available

Ron

I've been reading through this thread the last couple of days, and all I can say is... I've a bruised chin from every time the jaw has gaped open and smacked the desk!

That is some impressive bit of modelling, and I can't wait to see what this will look like when it's finished as I can't remember what Central and Castlefields looked like before it changed.

Hope the injury doesn't become permanent, as there is still quite a bit to model yet

I see you are just a few hundred kilometres north of here as well

Best of Spanish luck

Ron

I fancied this bridge as a view blocker come end of sort scenic break for my model of Oxford Road, seeing this model in such detial has made me have doubts it would be acheiveable in 4mm and to the level of detail you have so wonderfully acheived!

How long do you think it would take to make a smaller one?? :)

Ian

I fancied this bridge as a view blocker come end of sort scenic break for my model of Oxford Road, seeing this model in such detial has made me have doubts it would be acheiveable in 4mm and to the level of detail you have so wonderfully acheived!

How long do you think it would take to make a smaller one?? :)

Ian

Hi, Ian

This model is in 4mm scale

The time taken to build so far has been about 7 weeks with approx another 4-5 weeks to complete this double span bridge - approx. 150 hours in total

The time to build a shorter bridge would depend on the level of detail you want to show - say 50 -100 hours .... it is relative to the total number pieces of plastic to cut and fix

Let me know if you decide to go ahead and build it - I would be interested in your interpretation to suit your layout

Are you going to build the bridges on the MSJ&R line ? - I have just finished detailing the etch for the bridge railings, if you interested

Cheers

Ron

.. now for the overhead span bracings - using 20 thou plasticard with 10 thou x 30 thou strip for cross-bracings

Step by step -

40_061225_380000000.jpg

Marking-out the end plates - 9mm x 10mm trapeziums

40_061225_380000001.jpg

End plates fixed to the bottom plates - 8mm x 11mm

40_061225_380000002.jpg

Vertical end plates are next - 9mm x 11mm

40_061225_390000003.jpg

Join two end-plate assemblies with top flange - 3mm x 115mm

40_061225_390000004.jpg

Connecting plates - 4mm x 6mm

40_061228_150000000.jpg

Connecting plates and vertical flange (2mm strip) fixed in position

40_061228_170000001.jpg

Overall view

40_061228_170000002.jpg

Cross-bracing framing - 1mm strip

40_061228_170000003.jpg

First side with vertical strips in place

40_061228_180000004.jpg

Second side strips fixed

40_061230_090000000.jpg

Cross-bracing frame fixed in position between end-plate assemblies

40_061230_100000001.jpg

Close-up detail of end fixing

40_061230_100000002.jpg

End strips in place

40_061230_100000003.jpg

Close-up detail of end fixings

40_061230_120000004.jpg

Bottom flange fixed in position

40_061232_100000000.jpg

First side of first cross-bracings fixed

40_061232_100000001.jpg

Second side of first cross-bracings

40_061232_100000002.jpg

Close-up detail

40_061232_110000003.jpg

Detail showing front-back spacing between cross-bracings

40_061232_110000004.jpg

Complete first face of cross-bracings

40_061233_430000000.jpg

Cross-bracings completed

40_061233_430000001.jpg

Close-up showing vertical T flange - 20 thou x 10 thou

40_061233_440000003.jpg

View along bridge - Overhead bracing beam in place (temporary)

40_061233_430000002.jpg

Overhead view - Overhead bracing beam in place (temporary)

... 9 more beams required

... to be continued >>>>>

• Like 5

Hi Ron,

OOOh forgive me for some reason, I thought this was 7mm! durrrrr :blink: :unsure: :(

Etches I like.....

My idea was to use this sort of on the round using the trams as way of a view blocker cameo sort of scene so I could model the formation of Castliefields Junction. More for operational interest than a scale replica of the area if that makes sense!

I should have got it from the size of the beer cans!

Ian

Hope the injury doesn't become permanent, as there is still quite a bit to model yet

I see you are just a few hundred kilometres north of here as well

Best of Spanish luck

Ron

I can't wait to see it, Ron! I was over in Manchester two weeks back, and dragged my long suffering girlfriend over to Castlefields just to go stand outside the old Hacienda and take a look round Deansgate and Central! And I was so busy gawping at the structure, I forgot to take some pictures of the area... Only a photographer would do that, eh?

This is one of them projects I'm keeping my eye on with interest, as even though I'd love to do something 'large' like this, I just wouldn't have the space for it, sadly...

Hi Ron,

OOOh forgive me for some reason, I thought this was 7mm! durrrrr :blink: :unsure: :(

Etches I like.....

My idea was to use this sort of on the round using the trams as way of a view blocker cameo sort of scene so I could model the formation of Castliefields Junction. More for operational interest than a scale replica of the area if that makes sense!

I should have got it from the size of the beer cans!

Ian

These three drawings give a taster for the railings etches -

post-10633-0-19792600-1302113931_thumb.png

Basic outline drawing of one railing panel

Each panel is 33.2mm wide

post-10633-0-19121900-1302113974_thumb.png

Two etching drawings - 6 panel sections

post-10633-0-35265500-1302113996_thumb.png

Typical three level lamination

The brass would be 8 thou thick (0.20mm) and two etches would be laminated to make up the detail of the original cast iron railings

Hope this helps in your venture

• Like 2

I can't wait to see it, Ron! I was over in Manchester two weeks back, and dragged my long suffering girlfriend over to Castlefields just to go stand outside the old Hacienda and take a look round Deansgate and Central! And I was so busy gawping at the structure, I forgot to take some pictures of the area... Only a photographer would do that, eh?

This is one of them projects I'm keeping my eye on with interest, as even though I'd love to do something 'large' like this, I just wouldn't have the space for it, sadly...

Hi, Sean

Thanks for your comments

Hope I can continue to hold your interest

Ron

Hi Ron

work looks fantastic, huge amount of work.

can I ask why you chose brick paper over brick plasticard?

Hi, Michael

Thanks for your comments

I have always produced my own brickwork card, to ensure that the brick bonds and colouring reflect the prototype as far as possible. The mortar thickness and colour is also easier to control

Any mistakes are easier and cheaper to correct. The smooth plain white card is 240gsm and takes ink without too much absorption and gives a better and repetitive colour reproduction

The first print of the day is always a test and enables re-use of the other face, to ensure the print heads are working efficiently and correctly

Cheers

Ron

.. the latest images of the bridge with all the overhead bracing beams in place -

40_111748_100000000.jpg

40_111748_450000000.jpg

I'm going to have to move some of these model structures before management starts dusting them with the yard brush :rolleyes:

• Like 3

.. the latest images of the bridge with all the overhead bracing beams in place -

40_111748_100000000.jpg

40_111748_450000000.jpg

I'm going to have to move some of these model structures before management starts dusting them with the yard brush :rolleyes:

Stunning, that is that I can say about your work Ron :clapping_mini:

Colin

• Like 1

With all the painstaking detail that's going in, you'd never have thought that this is the work of a man in a hurry (comparatively-speaking). It seems to progress in less time than most people take to build a single loco.

Completely amazing. B) - this is one of those builds where you just "sit back and enjoy the ride".

With all the painstaking detail that's going in, you'd never have thought that this is the work of a man in a hurry (comparatively-speaking). It seems to progress in less time than most people take to build a single loco.

Completely amazing. B) - this is one of those builds where you just "sit back and enjoy the ride".

... me in a hurry, not on your life B) .. it just seems like it, I can push on a bit especially when there is a lot of repetitive construction

Hope you really enjoy the ride :unsure:

Ron

I can't add anything to all the "me too" posts,excellent craftmanship, but I suspect Ron, that you are not a modeller at all, you're just addicted to solvent fumes :D

Your comments are much appreciated

... down to the last few drops of solvent of the second bottle in 3 weeks, and I keep them in the fridge to reduce evaporation (along with the beer), as it is now 28 deg C this week, was 38 deg on Saturday

... can't tell the difference between solvent fumes and alcohol in this heat :lol:

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised you don't do what our club did. I found a chemical supplier on the web and 3 of us each bought a 5 litre container of 1 Butanone (otherwise known as MEK), we split the carriage costs and it worked out a £17 each. With all the C&LO sleepers to stick down on Green Ayre we have gone through quite a lot.

Jamie

I'm surprised you don't do what our club did. I found a chemical supplier on the web and 3 of us each bought a 5 litre container of 1 Butanone (otherwise known as MEK), we split the carriage costs and it worked out a £17 each. With all the C&LO sleepers to stick down on Green Ayre we have gone through quite a lot.

Jamie

Hi, Jamie

I use MEK, which is quite cheap in Spain, for all my C&L track building, as it works just great with ABS

I have found that with styrene it tends to be slow to make a joint, and it also seems to cause fracturing of the thin plastic strips that I tend to use

I can get the large cans of Plastic Weld direct from EMA, but have to have it delivered within the UK, and then wait for one of my daughters who travel to Spain by car to bring it over (just once a year), but of cause that still runs out pretty quick - may have to resort to buying four or more cans this year's December trip

Cheers

Ron