Dean Sidings

Fenway Park

He's done the 517 for a while. The chassis is a pain to work with but its a nice enough kit, although I'd just modify the Dapol body to avoid the chassis hackery if I ever did another !

I am getting muddled up again aren't I? I must have been thinking of the 517 rather than the metro. :scratchhead:

Was the chassis a real pain to modify? I seem to recall mention that it could be bought with the chassis pre-milled. But considering my memory I could be mistaken.

It wasn't available like that at the time. The chassis needs to be stripped down and pieces milled off it. Unfortunately getting the wheels off and on the 14xx without damaging the rods or getting them slipping on the axles afterwards is not trivial - they are not designed to be assembled twice.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Dave will be at the Wign Show in three weeks time.

Another LNER loco has been added to the list. This time it is a pregrouping passenger tender loco.

Dave will re run the Adams Radial if there is sufficient demand.

Malcolm

Hi,

Another LNER loco has been added to the list. This time it is a pregrouping passenger tender loco.

Malcolm

Do tell what this loco is - GER/M&GN anyone?

Stewart

Hi,

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Is the Radial 4mm?  If so I'll join the list!

The Adams Radial is 4mm. Will try to find out when the re run will be produced.

As regards the LNER loco will try and see if I am allowed to give out more info. from what I know it should be popular.

Malcolm

And here's some free advertising for Dave, which may or may not help the demand.

DSC01726.jpg

Can find the build on my workbench topic, as I requested to write it up as some were having trouble with the valve gear....although I had to chicken out and use something else. Also can find the P-Class on the same topic.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/25664-bmr-workbench/page-5

sam_2557clag.jpg

He's definitely seen the P-Class I built sent them in the last letter, he hasn't seen the Radial, but yes, he really needs to get a small website together, even if its just a free one...  least its something, I like his kits a lot, he would probably have more interest, and more sales if there was more web presence... but then again he may just want to keep it a small business.

Thanks Malcolm.

Dave Slater will be at the Wigan Show this weekend and should have details of several new projects. The others will be announced at Warley.

Had a long chat with Dave tonight going through the products and projects in N gauge 4mm and 009. Still trying to get him onto the web but his time is taken up with the kits.

So if you are going to the Wigan Exhibition then drop by his stand for a chat and find out what is proposed for this year.

Hi

If you dropped by then thanks.

Dave proposes the M&SWJR Galloping Alice 2-6-0 which was used on pick up goods between Swindon and Stoke Gifford until withdrawal .

Also in the pipeline is the Johnson MR 4 4-0 which will also include the M&GNR version which is the pre grouping LNER passenger loco.

I have passed your ideas for future projects onto Dave and the new ones will be announced at Warley.

The 009 Lynton & Barnstaple 2-6-2T includes all three cab variants which Heljan may not produce for cost regions.

The availability of RTR chassis is causing problems.

Warley may answer some requests.

Malcolm

• 3 months later...

Can anybody provide me with contact details for Dean Sidings? Snail mail is fine, a telephone number would be better. I'm in Canada, so getting to a show in the UK to talk with Mr.Slater is somewhat problematic (or a very expensive kit!). I checked the latest copy of Model Rail, nothing there that I could find. I'm interested in the GWR class 157 2-2-2, but as I model in EM it would be nice to know if the kit can be adapted.

Can anybody provide me with contact details for Dean Sidings? Snail mail is fine, a telephone number would be better. I'm in Canada, so getting to a show in the UK to talk with Mr.Slater is somewhat problematic (or a very expensive kit!). I checked the latest copy of Model Rail, nothing there that I could find. I'm interested in the GWR class 157 2-2-2, but as I model in EM it would be nice to know if the kit can be adapted.

All the kits use RTR chassis so as long as the chassie can be changed to EM you should be OK

Thanks for the address, much appreciated. I will in contact with Mr. Slater via pen and ink.  Not sure about the comment re EM conversion, most kits I've built that were intended specifically to use an OO gauge chassis required a fair bit of body removal and modification when converting to EM (wheel wells, steps, brake hangers, etc.). Normally more trouble than it's worth. If the GWR class 157 is meant to use a Hornby 4-2-2 chassis (Dean single, etc.) I may be looking at a scratch built chassis and even a tender drive. Plus I think the driving wheels had a different diameter. I do hope it's not the Hornby 4-2-2 chassis, it can hardly pull it's own weight, let alone half a dozen clerestory carriages. There was a reason why Triang/Hornby used magnetic wheels for adhesion on the old 'Lord of the Isles'. 

Thanks for the address, much appreciated. I will in contact with Mr. Slater via pen and ink.  Not sure about the comment re EM conversion, most kits I've built that were intended specifically to use an OO gauge chassis required a fair bit of body removal and modification when converting to EM (wheel wells, steps, brake hangers, etc.). Normally more trouble than it's worth. If the GWR class 157 is meant to use a Hornby 4-2-2 chassis (Dean single, etc.) I may be looking at a scratch built chassis and even a tender drive. Plus I think the driving wheels had a different diameter. I do hope it's not the Hornby 4-2-2 chassis, it can hardly pull it's own weight, let alone half a dozen clerestory carriages. There was a reason why Triang/Hornby used magnetic wheels for adhesion on the old 'Lord of the Isles'.

If i remember right the GWR 157 uses the Bachmann thoms range singel

• 5 months later...

Just had an updated list from Dave Slater. I had sent him my SAE in November and thought it had got lost. Without too many contact options it was a bit frustrating. However he is very apologetic and the list I was expecting befor Christmas turned up yesterday. It seems the main problem he has is lack of suitable donor chassis particularly due I suppose to the Hornby supply problems. This is the knock on effect that can do a lot of damage to the small traders/cottage industries in our hobby. As a result I suppose he has to rethink his strategy about what to produce.

Anyway alls well that ends well and the Hornby chassis I already had waiting for a body is going to get one soon.

• RMweb Gold

Spoke to him today at Ally Pally, as I was buying a TVR 4-4-2T. I said I would like some south Wales 0-6-2Ts, and there are several that should fit on the Bachmann 56xx chassis.

He said that he has been avoiding producing bodies to fit on Bachmann chassis, as he said he didn't think many people would want to buy locos and "throw the body away". I said that that didn't bother me if that was the only way to get a loco; yes, it might be a bit more expensive if the original body wasn't involved in the purchase, but I could cope with that. Maybe I could sell the body on to someone who wants to put an EM or P4 chassis under it. He thinks I would be in a minority there, but he still wrote down my suggestions of Rhymney and Taff Vale locos in his book, and said he'd think about it. I also said I'd prefer unrebuilt versions, rather than those that were rebuilt to look like standard GWR locos.

Had a look at his stand today, and picked up a price list. Was tempted by the N7 (again) though resisted. Noticed the M&GN loco in an early stage of development too, looks promising, but sadly no details on the price list.

(Must get the N7 next time.....)

Stewart

Spoke to him today at Ally Pally, as I was buying a TVR 4-4-2T. I said I would like some south Wales 0-6-2Ts, and there are several that should fit on the Bachmann 56xx chassis.

He said that he has been avoiding producing bodies to fit on Bachmann chassis, as he said he didn't think many people would want to buy locos and "throw the body away". I said that that didn't bother me if that was the only way to get a loco; yes, it might be a bit more expensive if the original body wasn't involved in the purchase, but I could cope with that. Maybe I could sell the body on to someone who wants to put an EM or P4 chassis under it. He thinks I would be in a minority there, but he still wrote down my suggestions of Rhymney and Taff Vale locos in his book, and said he'd think about it. I also said I'd prefer unrebuilt versions, rather than those that were rebuilt to look like standard GWR locos.

Perhaps someone should point out to Mr Stater that Bachmann mechanisms are great and the bodies can always be put on Ebay.  This is precisely what I did when mating a Lima J50 body with a pannier tank chassis - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73173-j50-project/

I acquired the pannier tank (complete) for about £45 and sold the body for £10.

• 1 month later...

Archived