Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Caolisport was mothballed whilst messing about on the railway took priority.  Safe to say I have put my obsession with all things 37/4 and Scotland to bed now.  Having ballasted the Mallaig road with 419 and worked a charter up there with 409 I'm cleansed.

The locos are going in a cabinet and Caolisport has been pulled up. Tentatively starting a Carrick Roads layout using one part of the ashes of Caolisport.

Small terminus station called St Just in Roseland as part of a branch to St Mawes.  45XX's, B sets and clay hoods will figure.

Liking the changes at Waverley, a 'proper' big shed will look great.

Hi Dave

Me again!!  Was having a look at Google Earth today at work and kept thinking how you might go about doing a Waverley East.   I know you've laid your track but in my humble opinion I think you might miss out on a real opportunity here.  I don't think I've ever seen an attempt at compressing two station halves before (unless I'm mistaken) and think it would be very unique if you tried it.  Especially on those pesky radius curves we all have to put up on a runaround - it'd be a really interesting way of hiding them.  You've already mastered the art of successful compression on the West side - I think others would agree that the way you've used scenic breaks between the half station, Princess St gardens and the country scene is brilliantly done and so convincing.  So I'm sure you'd be well able to conjure up a convincing break between the two station fronts.  When I eventually get down to that runaround that I've always dreamt of I'll certainly be copying your techniques.  Sorry for banging on, but this layout has always fascinated me - especially after those atmospheric photos in your MR article.  It seems that you've managed to have your cake and eat it with this one and have demonstrated to us all that you really can combine a 'roundy roundy' with a serious and highly accurate model of a prototype.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input. It really is great to have input like yours and that of other posters on here.

I agree with you that there might be a great opportunity for a mini-Waverley East there. It's just a question of doing it sufficiently convincingly to make it worthwhile. I had a look at that board last night. As I said before, the big problem is finding the space for platforms and the main roof end (which would look nice). As that area wasn't supposed to be scenic, I packed it with track to maximise the storage sidings. There may be scope in the future to join together some of the tracks where I can do so without having to shorten the trains.

One of the advantages of the track plan as-is is that I can run up to 10-coach trains or more (or 30+ wagon MGR trains) on the layout without it looking out of place. I wouldn't want to lose that, but there's definitely food for thought in what you say though and putting in some platforms may be possible by adding a small side extension to the board. One for the future I think. I'm planning on adding a dead-end fiddle yard on that side of the layout in the future, so it could be done then. It would certainly be nice to use the entire layout for scenery and there is/was always plenty of interest at the east end of Waverley too. 

While absolutely signing up to the idea that people should model whatever they like, I do find it surprising that more people don't model real locations. Lack of space is often put forward as a reason but I think the eye will put up with a lot of compression if the atmosphere and general impression are there. I think the memory tends to compress things anyway. Also, I think modelling a real location convincingly is easier than making up a convincing might-have-been, as you know what's there, you just have to represent it. For me, a model of a real location also has "something" which a model of a fictitious place just doesn't have, no matter how good it is. That's just my personal view though of course and I'm glad we don't all think the same.  :yes: 

Please feel free to put forward any more ideas! It's a great way of thinking through whether what I'm doing is the best way to make the most of the space I have. I think the new boards are already a great improvement over the previous depot board.

Cheers and thanks again. 

Dave

Caolisport was mothballed whilst messing about on the railway took priority.  Safe to say I have put my obsession with all things 37/4 and Scotland to bed now.  Having ballasted the Mallaig road with 419 and worked a charter up there with 409 I'm cleansed.

The locos are going in a cabinet and Caolisport has been pulled up. Tentatively starting a Carrick Roads layout using one part of the ashes of Caolisport.

Small terminus station called St Just in Roseland as part of a branch to St Mawes.  45XX's, B sets and clay hoods will figure.

Liking the changes at Waverley, a 'proper' big shed will look great.

Any room on the new layout for a big Calmac ferry?  Is Hebridean Isles sailing south?

Colm

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

That's a nice bit of work on your 47' - Just wondered if I missed your 'Open Day ' don't seem to have it in my diary :sungum: !

Bill.

Hi Bill,

No, you haven't missed it. If you or anyone else is in the area and fancies a visit, just PM me. I've had a few visits from RMWebbers already. :) 

Cheers,

Hi Dave,

Great to see the updates. That last photo of the 47 is stunningly real. Although the DRS 37 and Turbostar look fantastic and nice to see the modern stuff appearing at Waverley! I'll bring my stock down to fill it!

All the best

Mark

Any time, Mark, any time. That'd be fun!

Cheers,

Dave

Very nice as always Dave.

I am looking forward to seeing some action from the depot. Will Father Christmas be bringing you something to run in the depot?!!

Cheers Alex. I'm looking forward to moving on to the depot too. 

Father Christmas is bringing me a Coal Sector 26 to go with my other one. I've always fancied running double-headed coal 26s on a lengthy MGR and I've managed to track one down at last on a well-known auction site. Good to see Hornby's plans for a Coal Sector 60 too, at last. Heaven only knows when that will appear though. Like the Large Logo 56 too I expect. Still, at least it gives us a bit more time to save up!

Cheers,

Dave

Great shots Dave.

Any stock, modern or heritage, looks good on your layout. The problem is if you decide on more modern motive power, you might need to put some 'knitting' up!

Cheers 0O00. No plans for any knitting. WW is staying firmly in the 80s for the foreseeable future. I just fancied running some newer stock for a bit of fun and a change.

Great pictures as always but, officially, I can't be seen to be condoning the move to privatisation-era stock :blum:  :mosking:

Cheers BR(S). As mentioned above, there are no plans for a wholesale move to privatisation era stock. WW will be staying 1980s ScotRail, 1979-1991'ish. This was a brief aberration, nothing more. I hope I didn't cause you too much alarm.  :mosking:

Hi all,

Just a quick note to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas.

I hope Santa brings all the trains you're hoping for and that you have a great Christmas. I'm hoping he will bring me a Coal Sector 26 and a couple of new Bachmann Polybulk wagons for my Speedlink train.

Hope to be back very soon with some photo updates of my progress. I'm planning on sneaking off to the railway room as often as possible over the next week or so. Here's hoping for some good progress over the hols.

Season's greetings,

Dave