Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Much appreciated as always.

Lots of quality "me time" today, resulting in two very portable part-new/part-refurbished depot boards with folding legs. I replaced one of the board frames, as it was quite badly warped. The tops are now 9mm plywood too, replacing the old Sundeala board which really wasn't up to the job looking back and I'm glad I've started again. Haymarket here we come.  :D 

post-7247-0-88285600-1379802331_thumb.jpg

The next stage is to think about the track layout and to order some track. The actual track layout will be much as it was, as I was quite happy with it, but the depot end of the board is a bit wider than the old version and there will hopefully be two extra sidings in the depot to enable me to give a better impression of the various collection of buildings which made up 1980s Haymarket.

Hope to be back soon with some more updates.

Cheers,
Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 5

Hi Dave,

Nice to see those latest pics, its the little details you get right that brings each scene to life. The 47 looks brilliant in those shots and the brutes at the platform end are very nice. Thanks for sharing them. I'm looking forward to seeing your RES machine, I now have mine and very pleased with it. Even comes with the etched Braille nameplates too.

Hope the new depot goes to plan, will be nice to see what appears on shed when its done.

All the best

Mark

(Will you make it up to Ayr this weekend, if you do will see you there)

Cheers, Mark. 

Can't make Ayr this weekend, I'm afraid. I'm hoping to make it to Manchester though. 

The two 47s basically just need a bit of final painting and touching up and then reassembling. I'm pleased with the way they've turned out. The RES one has had the jumper cables on the front replaced with wire, which has made a big difference I think.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

They look very well made and sturdy. Will look forward to seeing the depot develop. Thats a fantastic view you have too from your garden.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Mark.

They're not bad. Woodworking is not my strong point but I think these new ones will be better than the last ones.

The depot will be almost like a layout within a layout and is basically a completely fresh start on a new layout, which is nice and quite exciting really.

The views from the house were a major reason why we bought the place!

Cheers,

Dave 

Hi folks,

The new track for the depot boards was duly ordered last night, so I'm looking forward to actually putting some new track down.

In the meantime, I had a bit of a photo session on the country section. Still no backscene as yet as I want to finish the messy bits on the depot board before I do that.

Anyway, here are a few more shots of the scenic section...

I've added some more water to the river but it's still a bit cloudy, so I'm hoping it will clear up and then I can add some more.

post-7247-0-48996700-1379928382_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-94226800-1379928444_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-44650600-1379928500_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-75395100-1379928620_thumb.jpg

I'll get back to concentrating on the trains again at some point, but there are no services running on WW at the moment. ASLEF (WW branch) are out on strike, claiming that the absence of a section of line past the depot is jeopardising the safety of its members. The permanent way department has promised to rectify the situation and reinstate the missing section of line as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 19

they look superb,  need some rain to fill the river, row boat looks a bit lost 

Bit of a sore point that, Ralph! I added some more Woodland Scenics Realistic Water a couple of weeks ago and it's still a bit cloudy. I think it is gradually improving but I am waiting until it clears properly before adding any more. I still have just about enough depth to  play with to paint it over and use something else instead if it doesn't clear.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi folks, 

Just a quick update - the new boards are now in place and fitted with alignment dowels. The boards just need to be screwed to the frames really now.

The new depot board itself is a couple of sidings wider than the old board, which will give me more room to play with, but hopefully still give me just about enough room to move about in the operator's well in the middle.

post-7247-0-42994000-1380012886_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-92436400-1380012847_thumb.jpg

On the right-hand side of the second photo, I think there's room for an add-on fiddle yard in the future to enable more stock to be kept on the layout at any one time.

I'm now hoping my track order arrives soon, should be either today or tomorrow.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 10

Very nice work Dave, some serious scenic work has been going on. Looks fantastic.

I am looking forward to seeing the new Haymarket depot board progress.

I noticed the lovely view too, a really nice part of the country. You are lucky Dave!

Cheers Alex. I can't complain. I do, but I shouldn't really. 

The NW Lakes where we are are a bit of a hidden gem as far as I'm concerned. Pretty quiet and relatively undiscovered on the whole (compared with the South Lakes anyway), yet stunning scenery. Don't tell anyone I said that though, please.  :D

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 2

I for one am glad you put up overload pictures on the how realistic is your model. Am off to browse through the thread, may be a while.

edit= After find a few like and craftsmanship clever it appears I have been here before, enjoyed the update though nice scenery.

Edited by Jaz

• RMweb Premium

Bit of a sore point that, Ralph! I added some more Woodland Scenics Realistic Water a couple of weeks ago and it's still a bit cloudy. I think it is gradually improving but I am waiting until it clears properly before adding any more. I still have just about enough depth to  play with to paint it over and use something else instead if it doesn't clear.

Cheers,

Dave

doesn't seem to be much wrong with it at the mo' dave - very reminiscent of a river which has receded over the summer or after a prolonged dry spell (mind you, this would have to be scotland from years ago, when summers used to be summers, or we had really long dry spells! :) )

reminds me of a visit to brechin in about '82/83 - the mighty South Esk flowing under the brechin bridge was at most about a 1/4 of the width it would usually be.

including a side-flow round a clump of trees, a lot of the 'river' was exposed stones and this was on a river notorious for flooding!

what's your plans for the 'sticking out bit' on the depot board? a couple of sidings like what used to run west of haymarket depot for stabling of DMUs or even a mini-saughton jn. carriage sidings?

great stuff anyway

Hi folks,

47746 has emerged, at last, from the works.

I've not really done much except the usual weathering. I have basically only replaced the jumper cables with wire along with new top sockets on the front. 

This is my first Bachmann 47 and I think it scrubs up nicely...

post-7247-0-04668300-1380303922_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-76028000-1380303905_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-57564700-1380303946_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-14444500-1380304051_thumb.jpg

I think she's going to look very smart at the head of my mail/parcels rake.

Large logo Inverness 47546 is also about to be released from the works. Pics to follow soon I hope. 

The refurbishment of 47510 is also nearly complete. This BR blue 47 has had buffer beam detail fitted and is now in the process of having the plastic handrails replaced with wire ones. 

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 16

what's your plans for the 'sticking out bit' on the depot board? a couple of sidings like what used to run west of haymarket depot for stabling of DMUs or even a mini-saughton jn. carriage sidings?

great stuff anyway

Cheers keefer.

I've made this part of the board a bit wider so that I can squeeze in roads 9 and 10 of the eastern end of the shed. There was (is) a crane there plus quite a few details that I thought would make a nice diorama.

This is my first mock-up of the track layout...

post-7247-0-84158100-1380305010_thumb.jpg

The two sidings on the left will be roads 9 and 10, the next 3 roads to the right will be roads 6, 7 and 8, and the final 2 sidings will be 4 and 5. I will probably leave out roads 1-3. That's my current plan, anyway.

It's basically just a fan, but that's what the eastern end of Haymarket was basically.

I have considered other possibilities, like the DMU roads at the far eastern end, but I don't want these two boards to end up full of track and nothing else. I want to include some admin buildings, as they were quite a distinctive part of Haymarket at that time I think.

It's all a developing plan at the moment, so any input would be gratefully received!

Cheers for now,

Dave 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

good stuff dave - i suppose if you're looking for a feel of that end of the depot, but a bit different then you could have some breakdown tool vans or even a static decrepit 40162 (sat there from about '82-86 i think)

:)

Have followed this thread from the start ,always thought that the initial Waverley station was fantastic but as you extended and added all the weathered detailed stock its become inspirational.But now the scenic section adds  even more wow factor,cant wait to see the depot evolve into another masterpiece its always a brilliant moment when the first track goes down and you watch it all develop.You are right about the part of Lakeland were you are it is a hidden gem with its own character keep up with the pics please.

good stuff dave - i suppose if you're looking for a feel of that end of the depot, but a bit different then you could have some breakdown tool vans or even a static decrepit 40162 (sat there from about '82-86 i think)

:)

Hi keefer,

Yes, I've been thinking about that. I have an engineer's yellow BG from Invicta on order for that purpose. There often seemed to be a rail crane there too, which is a possibility for a future project. A decrepit 40162 is certainly an idea too.

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave,

I've looked at Google Maps for Haymarket Depot, should the trackplan not be turned about 180°? So that the locos/DMUs could directly drive to Waverley Station?

Markus

Hi Markus,

To be strictly accurate, yes, you're quite right of course. But I've put it this way round for several reasons, the main ones being space and viewing angle. If I had it the "right" way round, it would have increased the width of the layout which I didn't want to do really, especially as I hope to add a fiddle yard/storage sidings on that side of the layout sometime in the future. Secondly, the layout is designed to be viewed from the operator's well in the middle, which means I try and arrange everything so that it looks "right" from there. With the fan arrangement of the sidings, I think the best viewing angle is from the "north" (on the real depot), so that meant turning it round 180 degrees. Also, with the Waverley part of the board being quite a bit wider than the rest of the layout, it would have meant having two wide boards at one end of the layout and none at the other. That was my reasoning anyway! 

With a country section in between Waverley and Haymarket, not to mention "only" 5m length to work with, I have never claimed to be modelling the area true to scale or with absolute accuracy. I just wanted to capture the atmosphere of the place, oh and to have a nice scenic section too.  :D 

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3