Waverley West

Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Excellent, looks like I’ve got a job driving one. Will make a change from Lancaster - Skipton.

• Like 2

Just going back to the query about when the stonework and Waverley Bridge were cleaned up or modified.  I found these on Flickr.  The first shows the bridge being modified before the North British stonework was cleaned.  I assume the walls and tunnels of the station were cleaned up around the same time as the modifications to the bridge.  Tantalisingly the first photo was undated, but as its IKB in blue with no high intensity light I went for pre 85.  Looks like on a Dundee service. Then found a second photo later in the album, it has a date of July 1984.  Both photos are in an Edinburgh Area album which is full of gems and well worth a look.

f_47484_waverley

47406+47_waverley_198407

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Waverley47708 said:

Just going back to the query about when the stonework and Waverley Bridge were cleaned up or modified.  I found these on Flickr.  The first shows the bridge being modified before the North British stonework was cleaned.  I assume the walls and tunnels of the station were cleaned up around the same time as the modifications to the bridge.  Tantalisingly the first photo was undated, but as its IKB in blue with no high intensity light I went for pre 85.  Looks like on a Dundee service. Then found a second photo later in the album, it has a date of July 1984.  Both photos are in an Edinburgh Area album which is full of gems and well worth a look.

f_47484_waverley

That wall seen underneath the canopy is spotlessly clean.   

Malcolm

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dunwurken said:

That wall seen underneath the canopy is spotlessly clean.   

Malcolm

Yip, but I am not sure if it was done around the same time or a while before.  I have always assumed it was around the same time.

I've never seen photos of the cleaning in progress although I guess that would have been a shorter project than the bridge.

Edited by Waverley47708

An interesting discussion, guys, and a couple of fascinating shots there, Calum. I've not seen those before or any showing the bridge with scaffolding for that matter as far as I can recall. 1984 was my best guess for the cleaning of the walls and the work on Waverley Bridge.

Waverley is such a frequently photographed location, it's amazing there aren't more shots of the work being carried out. I guess it doesn't look as attractive covered in scaffolding, so maybe people are less inclined to take photos.

That wall may have been spotlessly clean, but it certainly didn't take long for it to start getting grubby again.

Stunning work as usual Dave, absolutely loving the photos! Looking forward to more - hope you and your family are staying safe and well!

Kind regards,

Will

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Dave

As always just absolutely perfect work.

If you are at all interested I have a recollection from the mid-80s that the hedge you have just installed had various gaps where interested youngsters (i.e me) were known to stand and 'watch the trains'. In those days you could come right up to the fence atop the wall. Nowadays there's a second fence stopping you get anywhere near it.

I have strong recollections of the sheer presence, noise, heat and vibration froms Deltics that were coming off trains from down south and often sat roughly where you have the 26 positioned in your pictures (I can't quite remember the trackplan in that area TBH), so basically as young boy looking down on a hard worked deltic roof was quite an experience for a young lad. Unfortuantely that'd be right at the end of the deltics careers and by the time I was old enough to fully experience it they were gone.

I'm not suggesting go ahead and cut holes in your lovely hedge but for sure there were certainly decent sized gaps for watching the trains.

regards

MHB

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, millerhillboy said:

mid-80s that the hedge you have just installed had various gaps where interested youngsters (i.e me) were known to stand and 'watch the trains'. In those days you could come right up to the fence atop the wall.

Ditto early 70s on the south side.

Paul.

2 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

Dave

As always just absolutely perfect work.

If you are at all interested I have a recollection from the mid-80s that the hedge you have just installed had various gaps where interested youngsters (i.e me) were known to stand and 'watch the trains'. In those days you could come right up to the fence atop the wall. Nowadays there's a second fence stopping you get anywhere near it.

I have strong recollections of the sheer presence, noise, heat and vibration froms Deltics that were coming off trains from down south and often sat roughly where you have the 26 positioned in your pictures (I can't quite remember the trackplan in that area TBH), so basically as young boy looking down on a hard worked deltic roof was quite an experience for a young lad. Unfortuantely that'd be right at the end of the deltics careers and by the time I was old enough to fully experience it they were gone.

I'm not suggesting go ahead and cut holes in your lovely hedge but for sure there were certainly decent sized gaps for watching the trains.

regards

MHB

You're right, MHB/Paul. It's something I've been thinking about too. At the moment, the hedge is just placed loosely on the layout and not glued down. I've been wondering whether it might look a bit daft if I cut up the hedge and leave gaps in it. On the other hand, I do want to reproduce those gaps as they're quite distinctive, so I need to experiment I think.

I'm quite pleased with the hedge itself so far though and I think it looks the part. A spotter or two peering through the gaps would be good too. There often seemed to be spotters on the platforms back then too, which is something I need to add to the platforms as well.

I have a short section of hedging spare, so a bit of experimenting with the scissors is in order.

Watch this space!

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

You're right, MHB/Paul. It's something I've been thinking about too. At the moment, the hedge is just placed loosely on the layout and not glued down. I've been wondering whether it might look a bit daft if I cut up the hedge and leave gaps in it. On the other hand, I do want to reproduce those gaps as they're quite distinctive, so I need to experiment I think.

I'm quite pleased with the hedge itself so far though and I think it looks the part. A spotter or two peering through the gaps would be good too. There often seemed to be spotters on the platforms back then too, which is something I need to add to the platforms as well.

I have a short section of hedging spare, so a bit of experimenting with the scissors is in order.

Watch this space!

Dave

Think you're right Dave, it could look a bit odd no matter how prototypical it was. Sometimes modelling the real thing is like that.

FWIW There was one area in particular which was well worn, possibly 6-10ft wide, with a worn path up to it from the official pathways through Princess St Gardens. As you say quite distinctive.

Is the track plan prototypical on that north side, more so where the 26 is parked in your pictures just above? I don't remember a siding there but could easily be wrong. My recollection thinking about it was a deltic coming in from the south, coming off the train and sitting underneath the wall for a bit before disappearing through the mound tunnel off to haymarket. If someone can remember that operation pattern I'd be interested just to see if my childhood recollections were accurate.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

Is the track plan prototypical on that north side, more so where the 26 is parked in your pictures just above? I don't remember a siding there but could easily be wrong. My recollection thinking about it was a deltic coming in from the south, coming off the train and sitting underneath the wall for a bit before disappearing through the mound tunnel off to haymarket. If someone can remember that operation pattern I'd be interested just to see if my childhood recollections were accurate.

No, there was no siding there. There are/were sidings on the south side of the prototype (where the station pilot was often parked), but I didn't have room for those, so I added an extra siding on the north side. It's a handy place to park the station pilot or other locos for me too.

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, millerhillboy said:

Think you're right Dave, it could look a bit odd no matter how prototypical it was. Sometimes modelling the real thing is like that.

FWIW There was one area in particular which was well worn, possibly 6-10ft wide, with a worn path up to it from the official pathways through Princess St Gardens. As you say quite distinctive.

Probably Almost certainly breaking copyright here, but this shot taken from class47.co.uk. maybe shows the gap you're talking about and even a couple of gricers too. Maybe even you??! There were quite a few gaps like this along the length of the hedge at the time, but the hedge had become pretty continuous by the time of my first visit (early 2000s) for actual modelling purposes.

1444793815_47708a.JPG.e5511bddc7efc137ce5599d4cab1c5b1.JPG

Might make for an interesting cameo?

This is a nice shot of the wall at about the time I am modelling it too.

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Waverley West said:

Probably Almost certainly breaking copyright here, but this shot taken from class47.co.uk. maybe shows the gap you're talking about and even a couple of gricers too. Maybe even you??! There were quite a few gaps like this along the length of the hedge at the time, but the hedge had become pretty continuous by the time of my first visit (early 2000s) for actual modelling purposes.

1444793815_47708a.JPG.e5511bddc7efc137ce5599d4cab1c5b1.JPG

Might make for an interesting cameo?

This is a nice shot of the wall at about the time I am modelling it too.

Dave

That's exactly the one Dave, that's the gap I recall but there were other ones to the right, maybe another one gap or so. I think the other gaps would have meant you were closer to being right above the locos as they sat which is what I recall. The gap in the picture gives you a better view overall station.

Wouldn't be me, by the time the 47/7s were in Scotrail livery I'd be allowed to the station myself and I'd be on the end of the Dundee service platform book in hand.

As I say the gap in the hedge was a well worn spot with people watching the trains. I think you can see its well used from that picture as the rest of the hedge was pretty thick.

Edited by millerhillboy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Waverley West said:

Plus a few more...

720929494_27052a.jpg.4b7493067a82f1731587d1adee7db6ff.jpg

195040417_27052f.jpg.57b0c487b477dff8c258b14890be22aa.jpg

Plus a final, even closer close-up...

1196489891_27052h.jpg.220136c315fbc26b8d4b6ad0cac26c78.jpg

Hi Dave

the detail and lighting on these shots is what makes this whole model so outstanding - you really are hard pressed not to see the real thing

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

That chap from the orange army in the first carriage is such a neat touch. Was it parade weekend in Glasgow?

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

That chap from the orange army in the first carriage is such a neat touch. Was it parade weekend in Glasgow?

3 hours ago, bigwordsmith said:

Hi Peter

Hope all is well.

That orange top is actually based on my Peter Storm cagoule which I wore when out spotting throughout much of the 80s!

Dave

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Waverley West said:

Hi Peter

Hope all is well.

That orange top is actually based on my Peter Storm cagoule which I wore when out spotting throughout much of the 80s!

Dave

Remember those well - but we were the original legendary BR Blue 70's Parka Boys  - fur lined hoods  - flares  and Adidas holdalls for the obligatory packed lunches and Ian Allen Combined Volumes.

ian

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi folks,

I had a very enjoyable and productive session in the railway room last night. Six trees were finished off, ready for planting on the layout later today hopefully.

I also managed to solve an annoying derailment problem with a couple of Bachmann 47s, which was tracked down to the frames sitting too low on one of the bogies. I then fixed a signal which had stopped responding to the controller. It was just a simple resetting of the signal's addresses, but I always find it satisfying to fix problems so quickly (well, after reading the instruction manual anyway - yes, it was that bad).

Whenever I look under the layout now, I come out in a cold sweat, as the wiring under there is so complicated and tracing wiring faults does involve a lot of tracing wires here, there and everywhere. Fortunately, no problem has defeated me yet and electrical problems are pretty rare. I really shouldn't have said that.

Anyway, the troubleshooting session was followed by a quick running session involving one of the push-pull sets, 47546 and 47642 pootling around the station.

These shots show off the new colouring of the tunnel portals and the wall, which is now a decent match for the National Gallery on The Mound.

spacer.png

47642 arriving from Haymarket...

2069395424_47642b.jpg.c28e3e170034e781916f009b046ea2d9.jpg

1996890301_47642c.jpg.67ce14137998538abcd264524a718bb0.jpg

Followed shortly after by 47546...

1308027228_47546b.jpg.512cbfe61c694813c5052965f607fa6c.jpg

349010055_47546a.jpg.619583be60918f1de6a356bec3438281.jpg

And finally 47715 arriving from GQS. 47716 had been on this service until recently, but had been removed due to the derailing problem, now fortunately resolved.

563788218_47715c.jpg.1df0d1b7833e145abe2b245fc005c7a5.jpg

1943816231_47715d.jpg.37677a83ea14f9d43b8f3d1d7751ef6a.jpg

1246307434_47715e.jpg.ed62a52d450c3582d60f254d695cd0aa.jpg

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1