Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

1 hour ago, bcnPete said:

Are you sure that’s not your layout Dave? :D

Your pics are always really cracking :yes:

Thanks Pete! Yep, that's my layout. And a Heljan 47 to the right (47510 if I remember rightly). I actually took the photo before I ballasted the track, so a bit of smoke and mirrors was necessary.

Cheers,

Dave 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Waverley West said:

One of my biggest attractions to Waverley in the 80s was the sheer variety of motive power and stock

Absolutely agree, I spent many happy hours bashing using Waverley as my base on various railrovers. 

WW is a wonderful layout and helps rekindle my memories of my bashing days. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another relatively uncommon one would be a cl.31, not sure of their possible workings but certainly worked the Edin-Newcastle stoppers in the early-mid '80s.

Layout and stock are looking great Dave, particularly the a/c mk2 rake. Always had a liking for buffet coaches because the correct ones are not often done unless they're a standard RB or RMB - so liking your RFB very much!

• Like 1

Hi Dave, 

Cracking photos as ever. Really like the MK2 cross country set, the weathering and detailing is excellent. I seem to recall seeing a photo of the crane on the Granton branch following a derailment or crash possible involving a 40? 

You can’t have too many 47’s for your era either! It’s funny as I’ve been watching footage on YouTube from around 89-92 and amazing how many of the ex Scottish 47’s found work in the northwest before many ended up down south. One I’ve got on my list to maybe do is 47597. Large logo blue with westie, and a larger 9.

Shame you missed Glasgow it was a cracking show this year but hopefully see you next Feb up here.

all the best

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 03/03/2020 at 18:04, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Dave, 

Cracking photos as ever. Really like the MK2 cross country set, the weathering and detailing is excellent. I seem to recall seeing a photo of the crane on the Granton branch following a derailment or crash possible involving a 40? 

You can’t have too many 47’s for your era either! It’s funny as I’ve been watching footage on YouTube from around 89-92 and amazing how many of the ex Scottish 47’s found work in the northwest before many ended up down south. One I’ve got on my list to maybe do is 47597. Large logo blue with westie, and a larger 9.

Shame you missed Glasgow it was a cracking show this year but hopefully see you next Feb up here.

all the best

Mark

Thanks Mark.

It's been very frustrating to have missed Glasgow for the past couple of years. Hopefully, half-term won't clash with the show next year and we won't be away, so I'll be able to make it. It was never a problem until recently, when they set half-term to the same week in February as Glasgow. Typical!

It's scary to think that we only have two more years left with children at school anyway. Where did the time go?

Hope to catch up with you sometime later in the year.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Excellent as ever from up Cumbria.

Not many RM Members gets likes purely on the opening of a Steam Crane box :D

First did Haymarket in 1975 "Union of South Africa" was in on heavy overhaul which always sticks in my memory - not at least that it's ML certificate is now up and may not run on BR Metals again.

Ever considered 60009 Dave - or is it pushing a bit?

Edited by Crisis Rail
  • Like 1

Hi again folks,

I've spent my spare time this week working on a few quick-win projects, always good for the modelling mojo. 47500 has had its centre axle modified in my normal way, to give the wheelset some play. I find this reduces the frequency of derailments which I find a problem with Bachmann Co-Co's sometimes due to the rigidity of the centre wheelset. 

Another Mk 2f TSO has been released from the works, to replace the FO in the push-pull rake, which was commandeered for the sleeper rake. 

150283 has also been undergoing repairs, as it's coupling had been damaged at some point. Fortunately, I had a spare end from my conversion of 150 001 left over, so I could just cut off the old end of the frame and graft on a new one.

Finally, I have weathered a couple of wagons....

Firstl up, a Heljan Cargowaggon van, which has had its couplings moved from the chassis to the bogies, as this greatly reduces derailments. I have found these unusable without this modification.

This was a pristine model before, which just didn't look right to my eyes. It's been weathered to give it that overall brown look with the data panels partially cleaned (and then weathered again)...

1438703988_Cargowaggona.jpg.6ba0840f51e029b92160be2e32adccaa.jpg

403241283_JIAc.JPG.02800178216f1ac35344d0c47d4f6922.JPG

Finally for now, I have also weathered a Dapol JIA, as this was pristine too. It has now been weathered in much the same way as the Cargowaggon van, but with streaks of china clay slurry down the side. The data panels have been cleaned but have then weathered again.

2021128649_JIAd.jpg.e29fe89ed3b6cced83203d41af5910f0.jpg

543477103_JIAa.jpg.ff18ab4a3be913d4904ef691bfbea8e3.jpg

Next project? I really must get round to doing those station walls!

Cheers for now,

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold
On 29/02/2020 at 16:00, Waverley West said:

Thanks Pete! Yep, that's my layout. And a Heljan 47 to the right (47510 if I remember rightly). I actually took the photo before I ballasted the track, so a bit of smoke and mirrors was necessary.

Cheers,

Dave 

OMFG :swoon: Well you had me fooled Dave...I genuinely thought that was a real photo...stunning!

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking job, any chance you can give us an idea of the colours you used.

The wall, the hedge in Princess Street Gardens, the North British Hotel and the face of the bridge over the station all changed by the mid 80s!

As you say the wall got lighter as did the hotel.

The hedge is more complicated, in some photos it is big and fairly continuous, in others it is bitty and has been chopped right back.

Although the sides of the bridge are complex enough to scratch build, the solid version of the second half of the 80s is easier to scratch built than the earlier version with the gaps and more intricate features.

I have seen photos of the modifications to the bridge with a 27 on the Dundee services underneath it.  At a guess I'd go for pre 84 for the modifications to the bridge.  If I can find the photo I'll see if the walls were cleaned before or after the bridge was modified.

Always enjoy an update from Waverley West.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Waverley47708 said:

The wall, the hedge in Princess Street Gardens, the North British Hotel and the face of the bridge over the station all changed by the mid 80s!

I remember that hedge well - in about 1963 (ish), I was allowed to go alone on the 15 bus to Princes Street from my dad's cousin where we used to stay for a couple of weeks in the summer and a number of enthusiasts would scramble through the hedge where there were some well extablished paths, to press against the railings to see what was coming and going - all the locos to and from Haymarket, and all the service trains to the North and to Glasgow.  If I was lucky, my dad's other cousin, Alex McNair, would be up from Crewe to visit his mum, and would take me to Dalry Road where there was always the prospect of a footplate ride ot two.

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:58, Waverley West said:

Some more piccies as promised...

47715f.jpg.cc218ae89aed287dfe6852ffeaa8c308.jpg

Great images Dave,

This is my favourite image, the track looks like it follows the terrain of the countryside.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

On 31/03/2020 at 07:43, Waverley47708 said:

Cracking job, any chance you can give us an idea of the colours you used.

As you say the wall got lighter as did the hotel.

The hedge is more complicated, in some photos it is big and fairly continuous, in others it is bitty and has been chopped right back.

Although the sides of the bridge are complex enough to scratch build, the solid version of the second half of the 80s is easier to scratch built than the earlier version with the gaps and more intricate features.

I have seen photos of the modifications to the bridge with a 27 on the Dundee services underneath it.  At a guess I'd go for pre 84 for the modifications to the bridge.  If I can find the photo I'll see if the walls were cleaned before or after the bridge was modified.

Always enjoy an update from Waverley West.

Thanks!

After much experimentation, I settled on the following base colour for the walls and tunnel portals: 2 parts Humbrol Matt 93 Desert sand and 1 part Phoenix Precision GWR Stone No. 1 (Matt) (Light stone). The proportions were deliberately kept approximate to produce some variation. This base coat was then weathered using Railmatch Frame dirt, which was wiped off with a cloth lightly soaked in thinners after application. This was followed by very light sanding with fine emery cloth and general distressing of the walls.

It was then all finished off by a coat or two of Humbrol Acrylic matt varnish, which was the only varnish I tried which produced a truly matt/flat appearance (I tried various kinds including Testors Dullcote, Humbrol Enamel and Railmatch Enamel, but none produced as matt a finish as the Humbrol Acrylic version, which may have been my fault.

Some final variation in the colouring was achieved by carefully applying weathering powders and I'll probably carry on tickering with this until I'm truly happy with it or I've made a complete mess of it, whichever comes first (I know which outcome my money's on - the latter!!).

Hope that helps!

Yes, some major changes took place to the Princes St Gardens hedge, the North British Hotel and the face of Waverley Bridge over the station. As you say, the original unmodified Waverley Bridge was much more ornate, which was partly why I opted to do the later version! It was bad enough scratchbuilding the simpler version. I think the North British Hotel was cleaned a bit later than the station area (possibly around 86?), as I've seen quite a few shots of the station when it was clean but with the hotel still dark brown/black. 

The hedge on the other side of the fence in the station area/Princes St Gardens also changed over the decade and this is something I've only really just picked up on too.

Modelling a real location does have its advantages, but boy does it cause headaches too. WW will never be a truly accurate depiction of Waverley in a particular year in the 80s, but hopefully it captures the atmosphere and feel of the place back then. That's really what I'm after, not a slavish copy. As fun as it would be, I don't have either the room or the time for that!

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/03/2020 at 07:56, 45156 said:

I remember that hedge well - in about 1963 (ish), I was allowed to go alone on the 15 bus to Princes Street from my dad's cousin where we used to stay for a couple of weeks in the summer and a number of enthusiasts would scramble through the hedge where there were some well extablished paths, to press against the railings to see what was coming and going - all the locos to and from Haymarket, and all the service trains to the North and to Glasgow.  If I was lucky, my dad's other cousin, Alex McNair, would be up from Crewe to visit his mum, and would take me to Dalry Road where there was always the prospect of a footplate ride ot two.

Happy memories, hey Stewart?  I didn't model that hedge first time around, but that's about to change now with the refresh of the station area. I'm currently repainting the tunnel portal and coping stones for the wall, so that they match the new colouring of the wall. Some replacement fencing has also arrived to enable repairs to the fence, which got damaged over the years.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

On 31/03/2020 at 08:15, blueeighties said:

Morning Dave, I hope you and the family are well. Can I ask what gangway connectors you use on your mk2 stock...they look very effective.

Cheers Lee. They're from York Modelmaking:

https://yorkmodelrail.com/

I like them too. As long as there's no more than gentle contact between the two coaches, they don't seem to cause derailments either, even in push mode with my HSTs and push-pull rakes. Big gaps between coaches always look a bit daft to me and these solve the problem without having to worry too much about closing up the gap between coaches. That bothers me a lot less for some reason!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/04/2020 at 10:51, Waverley West said:

Cheers Lee. They're from York Modelmaking:

https://yorkmodelrail.com/

I like them too. As long as there's no more than gentle contact between the two coaches, they don't seem to cause derailments either, even in push mode with my HSTs and push-pull rakes. Big gaps between coaches always look a bit daft to me and these solve the problem without having to worry too much about closing up the gap between coaches. That bothers me a lot less for some reason!

Cheers, I'll try some of those.

Hi folks,

Just a quick pitstop post to show the current state of play with the repainting of the tunnel mouth to match the "new" walls. This has been painted the base colour mentioned a few posts ago. I then added subtle variations to some of the stone colours and am now ready for the final weathering stage.

Here are a couple of phone shots...

988310610_Wallg.JPG.c04331700c5612a48e90890f2b24097b.JPG

1942895563_Wallf.JPG.bb6e7f35502f9cf7bfa92941d8e16b6d.JPG

All the coping stones have now been painted too, so both walls can now be glued into place.

Hope to be back soon with another update.

Cheers for now,
Dave

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1