Darlington show

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

It is with sadness that I have to make the following announcement on behalf of the club.

We at Darlington MRC have decided not to hold any more Exhibitions for the foreseeable future.

This decision wasn’t made lightly and after the bad weather that caused us to cancel the 2010 show and a post aftermath meeting and for many reasons it was felt that it would be better not to organise another show.

As I have mentioned there are many reasons that this decision was made but to hold a show to the standard that we did means that we have had to invite many layouts from outside the area and this means that out overheads are very high.

We are only a small club and an even smaller show team. We don’t have the help that some other clubs have with venue cost, advertising etc and the finical risk for the club isn’t worth the sleepless nights that it can cause to the organising crew.

We won’t just be disappearing, we do have a few ideas that are being discussed at the moment and any announcement will be made through here, club website or on our Facebook page

Anyone who would like to keep up to date with club goings on we do have a number of ways, our club website, our Facebook page (just search for Darlington model railway club) and of course on Rmweb.

And finally I would like to say a big thank you to all the exhibitors, traders who have attended, the collage who have been great.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to contact us via the website, pm on here or in person at any shows we may be attending.

Cheers

Simon

Chairman

Darlington MRC

My sympathies Simon. Must have been a hard decision.

I must have exhibted half a dozen times in the last 15 or so years, and visited several more times as Joe Public.

Always a friendly welcome and well looked after (especially the Saturday evening do even though we seemed to always be runners-up in the quiz!)

It will be missed...

Paul

Sad news indeed. Though unable to attend due to location for a good few years, Darlington show was one fo the calendar markers left over from childhood. I guess I'll have to grow up a little bit this morning. I wish you and the club all the best for the future.

Regards

Steve

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear this. We exhibited there a couple or so years ago and enjoyed it very much.

Unfortunately, with the current situation this will probably be a familiar litany.

All the best to the Club.

NORM

RAVEN MODEL RAILWAY GROUP

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear you've had to make this decision. I've always enjoyed the Darlington exhibition and felt it was definately on the up under your stewardship.

I hope it turns out to be a temporary pause rather than a full stop.

Cheers

David

P.S. As you've joined the S4 Soc will you be coming down to Scalefour North in April for a play with Longcarse?

Hi Simon

Sorry to read about the decision not to hold an exhibition in the foreseable future. We really enjoyed our three trips up to Darlington even though we were rubbish at the quizes. I also agree with Norman that you will not be the only club to to think really hard about the future of their shows.

Good luck to all your members.

George

• RMweb Gold

Hi Simon,

Sorry to hear you've had to make this decision. I've always enjoyed the Darlington exhibition and felt it was definately on the up under your stewardship.

I hope it turns out to be a temporary pause rather than a full stop.

Cheers

David

P.S. As you've joined the S4 Soc will you be coming down to Scalefour North in April for a play with Longcarse?

Cheers Dave,

hopefully I will be able to swap my day at work so I can come down for a play if that's ok with you.

Thanks for the comments guys,

it's nice to know that the show was liked and will be missed.

Sad news Simon. So sad to lose the best exhibition all day breakfast I've ever tasted ;) ;)

No really, It was and hopefully in the not to distant future will again be THE best Northern exhibition. Where quality not quantity counted.

Guy

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

many thanks for the offer but we would need the income to offset the cost of the layouts that we book to come to have a show at the standard we set.

Either that or the Traders would have to pay a lot more to achive the same result :blink:

cheers

Simon

From a trader that has been at Darlington for over 20 years, thats a blow!

What we need is someone like RM Web (EVENTS) to take this over!!! Me as DC / DE/ Realtrack are prepared to 'support' the event if a team can be put together to sort it.

Charlie.

• RMweb Gold

HI Charlie,

I'm not sure how to reply to this without going off in to a massive rant about it all but i will answer your two bits as best i can ;)

From a trader that has been at Darlington for over 20 years, thats a blow!

On behalf of the club i would like to say thank you for your support over the past 20 years :D

What we need is someone like RM Web (EVENTS) to take this over!!! Me as DC / DE/ Realtrack are prepared to 'support' the event if a team can be put together to sort it.

Charlie.

Good luck on find a team , as out of a club of 20 members, its the same three who bust a gut to do things :angry: and we don't do it for our health. Well thats not quite true, its a team of 8, 3 club members, 1 partner, 1 fiance, 1 wife and two kids :blink:

Just to show one example of why it was decided to stop holding a show, the 2010 show that was cancelled has cost the club, and with out giving the amount all i can say its 4 figures :blink: so not a small amount.

So if you want to put a show on with 18 months of effort just to possibly break even and its a 70/30 split against you please feel free to come up and try.

cheers

Simon

Hi Simon

Now that you have explained how little help you have received makes the past shows all the more impressive !

On the brief occasions that I have chatted with you at shows you have explained how difficult it is to put on a show of a certain quality not to mention the cost.

I would just like to say that although I'm not a member of the club, I'm more than happy to help in any way I can, hopefully when (rather than if) the club decide to plan any future shows.

Regards

Jason

Archived