Hornby March 2011 Releases

Neal Ball

Note posted by Hornby on Facebook a few moments ago states they expect Tintagel Castle in stock at the beginning of next month.

I have just received a "tweet" on the old interweb from Hornby to say that Tintagel Castle will be arriving early next month.

Thank you both for the happy news. I look forward to the Easter Bunny delivering one to me.

Yes, old, silly, untrue and very insulting to teachers - also sweet nothing to do with the topic!

CHRIS LEIGH

Indeed it is, but then I didn't make that statement in the first place did I.....

Back on topic.... :rolleyes:

Since Kadar bought out Sanda Kan, has their loyalty to Bachmann ment that Bachmann has been getting production slot prioity to a certain degree over Hornby? It does seem to be a little more than a coincidence that in the past Bachmanns release dates wizzing by were almost legendary, and Hornby's were almost always happening when they said, to an almost total reversal about the same time Sanda Kan went tits up.....

Since Kadar bought out Sanda Kan, has their loyalty to Bachmann ment that Bachmann has been getting production slot prioity to a certain degree over Hornby? It does seem to be a little more than a coincidence that in the past Bachmanns release dates wizzing by were almost legendary, and Hornby's were almost always happening when they said, to an almost total reversal about the same time Sanda Kan went tits up.....

Honestly, I suspect not. I am under the impression that Bachmann Branch Line products are made in a different Kader factory.

The Sanda Kan factory has had many issues and truncated their customer list in an attempt to prioritize their business last year. In their September interim report (December 2010), Hornby indicated that there were delays due to the implementation of an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system.

However following the global economic uncertainties of recent years all our suppliers experienced shortages in supplies of electronic and other components in the period to September. These shortages were exacerbated within our largest supplier by the implementation of a new enterprise resource planning (ERP) system. This system is now functioning satisfactorily and deliveries of finished products are much improved.

While there may be additional unspoken issues, this was plausible.

It's worth looking at the Kader Holdings website. Sanda Kan is a contract manufacturing organization that is separate from Kader's other businesses. Remember that Kader Holdings owns the Bachmann Branch Line brand - not the other way around.

The question is not so much whether Bachmann Branch Line is getting priority slots over Hornby, but other brands; perhaps for example: Walthers/Life Like/Proto 2000 in the US who are also supplied by Sanda Kan.

Hornby have implied in their annual reports that they are prioritizing manufacturing slots for British outline models over their "International" brands.

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, lots more comments, thanks guys.

Particular thanks to John Upton and Wicor models for the update... so April then....

I do hope Hornby can get their issues sorted. But I for one will be very happy when Tintagel is cruising round the layout.

I am now told early April!!

https://www.Hornby.com/forum/forum-thread.html?Pthread=com.othermedia.Hornby.model.board.Thread-L-14650&Ptopic=com.othermedia.Hornby.model.board.TopicHandle-L-3

• RMweb Gold

The Sanda Kan factory has had many issues and truncated their customer list in an attempt to prioritize their business last year. In their September interim report (December 2010), Hornby indicated that there were delays due to the implementation of an ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) system.

It's worth looking at the Kader Holdings website. Sanda Kan is a contract manufacturing organization that is separate from Kader's other businesses. Remember that Kader Holdings owns the Bachmann Branch Line brand - not the other way around.

The question is not so much whether Bachmann Branch Line is getting priority slots over Hornby, but other brands; perhaps for example: Walthers/Life Like/Proto 2000 in the US who are also supplied by Sanda Kan.

I see from that link that they have ISO 9001 accreditation and I wonder if that just applies to the manufacturing process or if it also applies to orders and deliveries etc?

I see from that link that they have ISO 9001 accreditation and I wonder if that just applies to the manufacturing process or if it also applies to orders and deliveries etc?

From my days in Quality Control, with the BS5750 fore-runner of ISO9001, accreditation actually does NOT guarantee (high) quality - just consistency of product. As YOU write the rules for your company, YOU set the standards, high or low, then keep to them.

Guest Redskalie

Is that the same as making rash insulting statements like "Those that can, do. Those that cannot, teach"?

You seem to have miss quoted me, and missed the point.

It was a play on a very old saying and I do not see how you can think it is insulting, unless you are misunderstanding its meaning.

Those that can do, those that can't teach, eg. Footballers do till they can't and then they teach, in fact same for almost any thing. It is the basis of all apprenticeship, journeyman, artificer.......Master

If you want to take offence then please take offence to the point of the phrase, not to an interpretation you made by yourself.

Wrong thread, but indulge me.

So as to avoid layout cliches in future, I've decided against posing a corporation bus on a bridge.

Instead, I'll have a troll under the blighter biggrin.gif

• RMweb Premium

And at which point our beloved Redskalie asked to have his membership removed. My pleasure. ;)

When I posted my original question and follow-up comments, I had no idea the thread would turn into such a hot bed of comments, some of which have been quite nasty and un-necessary.

My original comments were about my frustration at the continuing late delivery of Tintagel castle. Given all indications now point to a delivery in early April, I propose that the thread is locked as it has now (in my mind) run its course.

Thanks to everyone who has commented.

As an Aussie modeller I think its safe to say we feel your pain over the Hornby delays- many are the occasions that models of our protype have:

-been ridiculousy delayed (5yrs is the most i think!)

- no word at all from company as to arrival or complete silence for extended timeframes (certain ones are repeat offenders)

Chinese factories seem to be getting increasingly unreliable.

friend of my dad wanted to have his car trailers made in china- they kept welching on deals and aggravating him so he abandoned it and is looking at India instead...

I for one am not going to be switching my model bucks to another company- besides that i like their range their customer service has been,good even for me down here.

actually the delay for 'Silver Link' and the B17 has meant I could get the Heljan Lion so its not all bad. perhaps Ive been hardened by all our model delays...

• RMweb Gold

From my days in Quality Control, with the BS5750 fore-runner of ISO9001, accreditation actually does NOT guarantee (high) quality - just consistency of product. As YOU write the rules for your company, YOU set the standards, high or low, then keep to them.

Indeed so - as someone put it when we were going into it in a big way back in the early '90s 'if you want you can use it to ensure you produce consistent cr*p'. My point was about keeping to standards - whatever they might be - in the whole process including ordering and despatch. Interesting to find in a couple of recent chats that the end consumers are not the only ones who are not entirely happy with Hornby's seemingly continuing delivery problems - which takes us back to where we started with Neal's concerns about the late running 'Tintagel Castle'. As for me i'm quite happy because I got my mits on 2810 today and even lashed out on a rather classy crew for it - next stage is the application of filth.

• RMweb Premium

That was certainly true of BS5750 and early versions of ISO9001, but I'm fairly sure later versions, ISO9001:2000 springs to mind, there were sections on a necessity to keep records of customer feedback and a demonstrable mechanism for process improvement.

Another possibility is that they're already stored in their warehouse at Margate ready for the start of the new financial year next month.

Just a thought.... if you have a new product, one that is SO eagerly awaited, wouldn't you ship it fast so the money went onto THIS financial year? It seems to me that to hold onto a product, and therefore not get paid for it, would be staggeringly bad business....

From a discussion in my local model shop; a possible reason for a lack of new Hornby product this month that no one has mentioned is Chinese New Year. From what I understand Chinese factories shut down for a considerable period at the festival. Their new year was at the beginning of February so I'd imagine, allowing for shipping time, the gap in deliveries would be about now.

Jeremy

From a discussion in my local model shop; a possible reason for a lack of new Hornby product this month that no one has mentioned is Chinese New Year. From what I understand Chinese factories shut down for a considerable period at the festival. Their new year was at the beginning of February so I'd imagine, allowing for shipping time, the gap in deliveries would be about now.

The company I work for had five days of holidays (Feb 2 - 8) over the Chinese New Year for employees in China.* While these are not manufacturing workers, I have no reason to believe this is atypical. The lunar new year is a very predictable event and can be factored into planning for manufacturing availability well in advance.

* The cumulative time off was actually less than the holiday period. With the 7 consecutive days off (spanning a weekend), two book-ending weekend days (30/1 and 12/2) were converted to work days.

My instinct is that the productivity impact of lunar new year in China is might be less than Christmas - New Year in the west, particularly when you factor in the quality of the work performed during Christmas - New Year by white-collar people who are not taking paid vacation days.

actually the delay for 'Silver Link' and the B17 has meant I could get the Heljan Lion so its not all bad. perhaps Ive been hardened by all our model delays...

A Hornby representative at Model Rail Scotland told me that Silver Link should be arriving at the end of this month or beginning of April. While that's no guarantee given the problems and delays Hornby seem to have suffered over the last couple of years, it's probably a good sign that it is on its way.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dilbert

Tintagel Castle seems to be with the retailers (or at least some of them). I've received notification 2nd April that my order is set to go... dilbert

A Hornby representative at Model Rail Scotland told me that Silver Link should be arriving at the end of this month or beginning of April. While that's no guarantee given the problems and delays Hornby seem to have suffered over the last couple of years, it's probably a good sign that it is on its way.

Thanks for the earlier heads up and its now out :) looks to be a cracking model as well.

Well looks like Hornby's factory has started to get its act together- Silver Link and Tintagel both in March as hoped, though the Castle was a close one by the look of it. Hopefullly things will continue to improve.

• RMweb Gold

Suprised to find no piccies of 'Tintagel Castle' on here. Whats the scalloped inside cylinder casing like, well detailed?

Its a bit blurry but gives you an idea what its like.

post-126-0-18593300-1301849723_thumb.jpg

Archived