P4 - Finney 28xx Currently..

craigwelsh

I've given a batch of etches to Scalefour Stores tonight so you can pick up the following etches at S4um:

post-174-078546800 1285110597_thumb.jpg

post-174-096751100 1285110590_thumb.jpg

post-174-032196000 1285110580_thumb.jpg

post-174-094649900 1285110507_thumb.jpg

There are only 56 pairs of the 9ft wooden underframe kits available so get them quick :).

9ft_Wooden_Instructions_0.9.5.pdf

For those who have kits already there are frets of levers and guards available on their own.

Oh, and i've started looking at the bits for a metal underframe, i've looked at doing all the parts properly for this both for open frame prototypes and educational purposes.

post-174-080246200 1285110435_thumb.png

The class 14 needs proper searching in the NRM to progress now as i've run out of 'known' boxes to search through for them and will have to pick random boxes now. I did find a box of North British ones held at Swindon last time though so should probably have checked if they were class 22..

Craig,

Will the etches be available from S4 stores in future for those of us over the seas and far away? I've been following the thread and, while dreading the effect that one of these etches will have on the appearance of the rest of my rolling stock :unsure: , can see that they would be a real asset.

Cheers,

David

PS the article in MRJ 200 was brilliant.

Agreed...

There is a market in these etches - especially from those who have read the MRJ article and followed the development of them here.

Some like myself would be looking at serious numbers, I could easily get through 25 or more of those 9ft etches :blink:

Wibble and dribble :(

Craig,

Will the etches be available from S4 stores in future for those of us over the seas and far away?

Cheers,

David

PS the article in MRJ 200 was brilliant.

Erm hopefully, I haven't discussed that yet, been too busy sorting out photocopying and folding the instructions as well as bagging.. Not sure how people do that sort of thing, far too tedious compared to the designing bit! Think i'll stick to pdf instructions in the future and save some trees ;). I'll certainly make some available myself otherwise once S4 Stores has tried this batch.

Thanks for commenting on the article, i've been very pleased by the feedback i've had from it and I should be doing some more in the future as I attempt further kits of different prototypes :).

.PDF works for me as long as you have a website to download from ;) . Anyway I'll keep an eye open here and watch the small suppliers in MRJ for further updates.

Cheers,

David

Most of the pdf's have been uploaded in this thread..

Something different last night, someone in the club lent me some Sergent couplers to try out on my mk1s. They work nicely though they really need to rotate so this method of fixing needs a bit of redesign. Having the Masokits gangway a bit low doesn't help either though!

post-174-042287600 1285204186_thumb.jpg

post-174-003130600 1285204198_thumb.jpg

post-174-036280300 1285204226_thumb.jpg

It would be nice if someone did a 14mm (or slightly smaller) wheel for these too that looked as good as the Kean Maygib 14.5mm one! Just not Alan Gibson though..

For those who aren't aware yet, my etches are now for sale on the Scalefour Society Stores page on the website.. With thanks to the webmaster there :).

This week i've been getting on with my own batch of these wagons a bit, lots of brakes pinned and soldered up, drawgear buffing plates and door springs punched with my new GW Models riveting tool and levers folded to shape.

I've also been doing a quick bit of work on some more coal loads for my nearly finished wagons. I'd normally prefer see-saw style affairs with a foam top to cover any gaps but these take a bit of time to prep and do. I've had a bag of the coal loads from the old Airfix minerals (not much use for the rest of the kit now!) and filed down the Himalayas present on the top a bit before painting black, coating with PVA and dipping each in my different grades of coal.

post-174-065381300 1285887902_thumb.jpg

These probably represent slack (i've heard this called runny solids but that sounds like the disadvantage of visiting India so i'll stick with slack..), nutty slack and cobbles in ascending size. The slack may need a spray of varnish or something and another coat of coal dust as the pva has absorbed most of the dust and made it a rather smooth looking item now! The camera flash caught the glue in this picture which you really can't see in reality, especially when dry.

post-174-072822600 1285887908_thumb.jpg

Guest notascoobie

For those who aren't aware yet, my etches are now for sale on the Scalefour Society Stores page on the website.. With thanks to the webmaster there :).

This week i've been getting on with my own batch of these wagons a bit, lots of brakes pinned and soldered up, drawgear buffing plates and door springs punched with my new GW Models riveting tool and levers folded to shape.

I've also been doing a quick bit of work on some more coal loads for my nearly finished wagons. I'd normally prefer see-saw style affairs with a foam top to cover any gaps but these take a bit of time to prep and do. I've had a bag of the coal loads from the old Airfix minerals (not much use for the rest of the kit now!) and filed down the Himalayas present on the top a bit before painting black, coating with PVA and dipping each in my different grades of coal.

post-174-065381300 1285887902_thumb.jpg

These probably represent slack (i've heard this called runny solids but that sounds like the disadvantage of visiting India so i'll stick with slack..), nutty slack and cobbles in ascending size. The slack may need a spray of varnish or something and another coat of coal dust as the pva has absorbed most of the dust and made it a rather smooth looking item now! The camera flash caught the glue in this picture which you really can't see in reality, especially when dry.

post-174-072822600 1285887908_thumb.jpg

Hi Craig,

Will your etches be available anywhere else? Somewhere else where non S4Soc folks can get some.

Regards,

Vernon

Hi Craig,

Will your etches be available anywhere else? Somewhere else where non S4Soc folks can get some.

Regards,

Vernon

They'll be available this weekend at Manchester from Scalefour Stores and also the other Scalefour events otherwise not really at the moment. Scalefour Society has been buying the etches directly in batches and I haven't kept stocks apart from that.

I'd be nice to make them a bit of added value for the society really as well. I'll think about other outlets as well though in the future.

Hi Craig,

Perhaps a spot of clarification for both Vernon and, if I may do so, Craig as well.

The Scalefour Society has recently enhanced its policy on Scalefour Stores. We recognise that an increasing number of products that suit P4 modellers are also of value to 4mm modellers in general, and even those in other scales to 4mm. We would like to encourage the production and easy distribution of these items, always bearing in mind that it's not our intention to cut across and compete directly with manufacturers and traders to whom this is their core business, and indeed income.

So from the date of the launch of our book on the Alex Jackson Coupling, and now updated to include the latest book on St Merryn, launched last weekend at Scaleforum, we have a "public e-shop" that is available to non-members

Click link for Scalefour public stores

I don't know if Craig has had a specific conversation with the Society's Stores Officer about whether these are on sale to non-members or not, and whether "Stores" would be happy with the extra workload - it is is a voluntary position after all!

However, on behalf of the Society, I'd say that we are open to supporting Craig's sales and development in any way that we reasonably can. Craig - if you'd like to discuss things further, mail me off-board, or I could give you a call sometime.

Equally, any feedback from non-members would be welcome. Please feel free to mail me directly.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Deputy Chairman

Guest notascoobie

Perhaps a spot of clarification for both Vernon and, if I may do so, Craig as well.

The Scalefour Society has recently enhanced its policy on Scalefour Stores. We recognise that an increasing number of products that suit P4 modellers are also of value to 4mm modellers in general, and even those in other scales to 4mm. We would like to encourage the production and easy distribution of these items, always bearing in mind that it's not our intention to cut across and compete directly with manufacturers and traders to whom this is their core business, and indeed income.

So from the date of the launch of our book on the Alex Jackson Coupling, and now updated to include the latest book on St Merryn, launched last weekend at Scaleforum, we have a "public e-shop" that is available to non-members

Click link for Scalefour public stores

I don't know if Craig has had a specific conversation with the Society's Stores Officer about whether these are on sale to non-members or not, and whether "Stores" would be happy with the extra workload - it is is a voluntary position after all!

However, on behalf of the Society, I'd say that we are open to supporting Craig's sales and development in any way that we reasonably can. Craig - if you'd like to discuss things further, mail me off-board, or I could give you a call sometime.

Equally, any feedback from non-members would be welcome. Please feel free to mail me directly.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Deputy Chairman

Paul,

Thanks for the clarification.

Vernon

Paul

Been looking for the etches on the society site and I'm either blind, stupid or both coz I can't see them anywhere?

cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Members' Area -> Stores -> List and order form.

They are two-thirds of the way down the product listing, at the end of the "wagon suspension components" section.

I admit that they are not high profile, with flashing lights and blinking ***NEW!!!*** highlights, but we're currently still in the format of the existing shopping facility.

But they're there :-)

Craig Welsh 9' wheelbase wooden solebar subframe. (2 wagons)

Craig Welsh 9' wheelbase levers. 2 frets

Craig Welsh 10' wheelbase Morton clutch levers. 2 frets

Craig Welsh 10' wheelbase Morton clutched brakes and levers for use with other w-irons. (x2 wagons)

HTH,

P.

Guest notascoobie

Ahhh, in the members area!! As I said either blind or stupid...turns out it was stupid!

Cheers

Mike

Mike,

You're not the only one to look.

Blind optimism on my part as well.

Ah well, I'm not one of the modelling elite, so what can I expect?

Cheers,

vernon

Having got my pinkies on some of Craig's etches..... WOW B)

Very nice and very well written instructions mon.

Well worth the wait and here is to your further endeavours - you are getting a captive audience for such thought out quality :good_mini:

In a break from building bits for my large batch of wooden minerals i've had a go at my 2nd test etch for the LMS 17ft 6 underframe i've been working on. Brake lever goes together easier now you can put the link in place on the fret. The brakes were a better fold with the holes correctly etched and I didn't loose the broket for the pivot for the link-link lever this time!

post-174-083845200 1286672200_thumb.jpg

post-174-050114200 1286672230_thumb.jpg

I still need to redesign the solebar to be an L with a separate top plate but the existing channel type will be used to finish this one off. When I accidentally knocked the lever I discovered i'd actually made the linkage work with some cunning soldering, not that the brakes can move of course!

I need to do another order of PO wagon underframes for Scalefour Stores as they sold rather well. I didn't get a chance to talk to Jeremy at Manchester about sales to non-members though i'm afraid. I haven't seen one build with EM wheels yet though to see if they look ok and 00 modellers would need to file the alignment tabs off if they wanted to use them. Future bits i'm designing will probably only work in P4 due to clearance issues.

I think these are for the Roger Chivers beasties?

RC463 LMS Long Low

RC464 LMS Double Bolster

RC465 LMS Tube

And I fancy they will sell since the other etches have had such an impact - fantastic as ever Craig B)

And I fancy they will sell since the other etches have had such an impact - fantastic as ever Craig B)

Almost certainly, as the extra angle truss to the W iron can not be catered for by any of the ready available W irons so has to be fabricated and then you are still left with the blobby plastic brake gear.

It does look good Craig, only have already built what is probably my only needed 17'6" vehicle - don't tempt me to scrap it please!

Almost certainly, as the extra angle truss to the W iron can not be catered for by any of the ready available W irons so has to be fabricated and then you are still left with the blobby plastic brake gear.

It does look good Craig, only have already built what is probably my only needed 17'6" vehicle - don't tempt me to scrap it please!

Archived