airfix/dapol tank wagons

• RMweb Gold

Switch the speaker phone on and then you will have two spare hands, type with one and design the etch with the other... simples.

(BTW you don't have to sweep up too do you  :jester: )

Nope - he has that noisy hoover!!!

Phil

• Like 2

yeah posted those pics as thats what the thread was originally asking about.

I showed mine to Geoff Kent at Expo EM and he liked it but he said the ladder could be better as it has a 2d look to it, he suggested either soldering wire to either side of it to thicken it or get an etch of the sides done with holes to fit the steps.

Mike

Great topic. I am just waiting a bit more before I start my rake,  Now how many in a train? I think its 20 at 35t GLW or 700 tons. I would welcome any comments as I have 18 unbuilt kits. And any body know how many numbers on the CCtrans sheets as the original transfers only alow for 4,

is there any significance to some of them not having the lettering on the left hand side? ie was it removed at a certain period. I dont want to model something only to find its out of period.

also this one being shunted at Buxton in 1968 on cine film doesnt have the lettering but also seems to have the number 3422  as the camera pans round, would that be correct?

post-27-0-53846000-1369864636.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mike

leave the ladders off until the wagons are weathered as its easier to get the oil and much in the - right place - see my blog for what I mean.!

• Like 1

Great topic. I am just waiting a bit more before I start my rake,  Now how many in a train? I think its 20 at 35t GLW or 700 tons. I would welcome any comments as I have 18 unbuilt kits. And any body know how many numbers on the CCtrans sheets as the original transfers only alow for 4,

If you ask at the time of ordering, I can ensure that the numbers on each sheet are different.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Like 2

If you ask at the time of ordering, I can ensure that the numbers on each sheet are different.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Oh great one! I wanted to know that too! I have a dozen to complete so how many sheets will I need? Can I specify my choice of numbers?

Oh great one! I wanted to know that too! I have a dozen to complete so how many sheets will I need? Can I specify my choice of numbers?

Each sheet covers four wagons - by all means indicate the numbers that you want.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Hi Mike and sorry about the class B/A mix up earlier! I skim read so I assumed yours was a class B. I am doing Bs and will not have any spare Transfers. CCtrans are not very expensive but maybe he will do a minipack as part of a bigger order. I am going to ask him if he could do some specials as I need some BR(WR) Giant and Monster transfers that I dont think he does. One thing for certain the wagon you have built is superb! It certainly deserves John's decals.

Hi Mike and sorry about the class B/A mix up earlier! I skim read so I assumed yours was a class B. I am doing Bs and will not have any spare Transfers. CCtrans are not very expensive but maybe he will do a minipack as part of a bigger order. I am going to ask him if he could do some specials as I need some BR(WR) Giant and Monster transfers that I dont think he does. One thing for certain the wagon you have built is superb! It certainly deserves John's decals.

Much as I would like to assist you both, it simply isn't practicable (secure post-resistant packing) or cost-effective to do mini-packs, I'm afraid.

My transfer sheets are not expensive (remember that the prices include P&P), and you can always sell-on surpluses to fellow list-members.

As to Giants and Monsters - perhaps in due course, but I haven't been asked for them before and I've been producing transfers since before the millenium.

Never say never, though.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

I showed mine to Geoff Kent at Expo EM and he liked it but he said the ladder could be better as it has a 2d look to it, he suggested either soldering wire to either side of it to thicken it or get an etch of the sides done with holes to fit the steps.

Works for me - I solder 0.5mm. brass wire to each stave of the ladder before cutting to length. A touch of draw-filing of the top of the wire after soldering gives a good impression of rectangular staves.

post-2274-0-55034100-1369945158_thumb.jpg

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3

you can always sell-on surpluses to fellow list-members.

thats more what I was hinting at, ill be ordering soon as I want some 16tmineral ones and some others when ive worked out what I want.

is paypal accepted?

and does anyone have any shots of the esso transfers applied to a model?

Here are a couple of shots of a rake of class A and B Esso tanks constructed from Airfix/Dapol kits with metal buffers, RT etch ladders and walkways and CCT transfers. The class A tanks were modified as per Geoff Kent's excellent 'The 4mm Wagon part two' book  4lt5oi.jpgicpslv.jpg

• Like 5