airfix/dapol tank wagons

Just finished the master for the 2'0'' Dowty buffer with 16'' head for these tanks, there was a mixture of Dowty's and Oleos fitted to both the tank types. I've still to research the actual fitting details.

Photo to follow.

Dave Franks

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just finished the master for the 2'0'' Dowty buffer with 16'' head for these tanks, there was a mixture of Dowty's and Oleos fitted to both the tank types. I've still to research the actual fitting details.

Photo to follow.

Dave Franks

Only need a range of vac cylinders now then?

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

Photo to follow.

Dave Franks

Okay, the casting went well today, we now have a Dowty buffer with the 16'' head as well as the Oleo for the class A and Class B tankers.

post-10324-0-45242000-1372112223.jpg

Dave Franks

• Like 6

I bought another 6 of these unbuilt at the Bluebell yesterday, I can't quite decide what to do with them... MTV/Zander and container/RHTT tank, or as a class B, or lengthened to an A, or as a cone ended Fisons tank.

Jon

I bought another 6 of these unbuilt at the Bluebell yesterday, I can't quite decide what to do with them... MTV/Zander and container/RHTT tank, or as a class B, or lengthened to an A, or as a cone ended Fisons tank.

Jon

One of each, just for variety of course, :dontknow:

One of each, just for variety of course, :dontknow:

I don't really do 'one' of anything....

RHTT tanks - I made the master for the tank chassis that went onto become the S-Kits kit, so these are a resin chassis, with an Airfix body, here are 4 that still haven't been painted, to go on the two wagons that I haven't painted.

The Airfix 35T tank wagon is shortened by a bit over 1cm, then all the holes filled and some of the piping added - I think what stopped these being finished is the lack of the emptying valves/pipework.

post-336-0-13316600-1372701896.jpg

I've also got a mould for MTV/ZKV 'Zander', this is the same conversion that was done on the prototype, a box body onto the 35T chassis, I've only done a basic job on the chassis. I can only really justify ZKV's, but I really like the stylised 'STONE' icon on the MTV's so I had to have at least one, but the temptation is there to have a set...

post-336-0-87537300-1372701897.jpg

Which left me even more chassis spare, so I've knocked out a few frameless tanktainers (to a somewhat freelance design). Again the tank barrel was shortened to about 80mm, then a selection of evergreen styrene was built up around the end - getting the body-to-frame parts cut to the right angle and attached robustly was a bit of a challenge. Transfers are homemade on inkjet decal paper.

post-336-0-46726300-1372701899.jpg

And since I had the tanktainer box out, a few of the old Lima continental tankers turned into 'tainers, including one I have just started, and 6 that I don't remember building - but needless to say didn't finish...

The donor wagons are widely available at about a pound each, and I was at one point buying them just for the walkway, that I re-used on my scratchbuilt silver bullets, which of course left me with a lot of left over tankers. On these the tank is a two part affair, one end is separate, but often glued in quite tightly. I cut the barrel about 1cm in from that end and then can prise the end out. then it can be stuck in again at the shorter length and any gaps filled.

The frame is again Evergreen, and I use a Guillotine to knock out all the parts at the same length, which probably explains why I did six last time, because batch building is quite easy. Again the actual tank design is somewhat freelance, but prior to the C-rail kit, it was this, or the Mendip/S-Kits kit, which actually uses the same source for its barrel! 

post-336-0-00304100-1372701901.jpg

post-336-0-61345600-1372701902.jpg

post-336-0-77650200-1372701903.jpg

Jon

Edited by jonhall

• 2 years later...

I have discovered is that 2p pieces fit perfectly into the tanks to add weight. A bit of cyano and a sprue off-cut to hold them firmly in place (belt and braces method).

Tanker01.jpg

Also a method for if you (like me) forget to add weight before the second end goes on.
Tanker02.jpg

Tanker03.jpg

Jamie

I have discovered is that 2p pieces fit perfectly into the tanks to add weight. A bit of cyano and a sprue off-cut to hold them firmly in place (belt and braces method).

Tanker01.jpg

Also a method for if you (like me) forget to add weight before the second end goes on.

Tanker02.jpg

Tanker03.jpg

Jamie

Whaaaaat ? Defacing the Queen's coinage - surely that's a hanging, drawing and quartering offence ?!?

Don't open the door to any Yeoman Warders.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Whaaaaat ? Defacing the Queen's coinage - surely that's a hanging, drawing and quartering offence ?!?

Don't open the door to any Yeoman Warders.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I thought that I was only joking, but the extract below (openly poached from elsewhere), seems somewhat sinister.

Section 10 of the Coinage Act 1971 says quite categorically (if at some length)...

"Restrictions on melting or breaking of metal coins..

(1)No person shall, except under the authority of a licence granted by the Treasury, melt down or break up any metal coin which is for the time being current in the United Kingdom or which, having been current there, has at any time after 16th May 1969 ceased to be so.

(2)Any person who contravenes subsection (1) of this section shall be liable—

(a)on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £400;

(b)on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or both.

(3)If any condition attached to a licence granted under subsection (1) of this section is contravened or not complied with, the person to whom the licence was granted shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding [F1level 5 on the standard scale]unless he proves that the contravention or non-compliance occurred without his consent or connivance and that he exercised all due diligence to prevent it.

(4)The court by or before which any person is convicted of an offence under this section may, whether or not it imposes any other punishment, order the articles in respect of which the offence was committed to be forfeited to Her Majesty.

(5)Where an offence under this section committed by a body corporate is proved to have been committed with the consent or connivance of, or to be attributable to any neglect on the part of, any director, manager, secretary or other similar officer of the body corporate or any person who was purporting to act in any such capacity, he as well as the body corporate shall be guilty of that offence and shall be liable to be proceeded against and punished accordingly."

Defacing by drilling a hole through the coin (and through the Queen's head) would count as destruction. So don't do it.

A member of the Forum in question added "though the penalties aren't quite as severe as being hung, drawn and quartered,

Counterfeiting currency was called "coining", and for a long time, it was a species of treason, and the penalties were indeed severe.

Up to 1798, the penalty for women was to be burned at the stake: the last such case occurring as late as 18th March 1789.

A little research has revealed that Susan Grant (1809), and Mary Bissaker (1819) were hanged for coining.

Up to 1814, the correct sequence was: drawn, hanged (but not until dead), disembowelled, beheaded, & quartered.

In 1814, the Statute was amended. Thereafter, the hanging was until death; disembowelling was abolished; and the beheading was only carried out upon an already-deceased prisoner.

The last beheadings were in 1820: and they were spared the quartering.

Forging banknotes was a different matter, only a felony, but plenty were hanged for it up to circa 1832.

Sleep well !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

'I had better inform The National Railway Museum which has a couple of machines into which you can put a coin and then turn a handle so that it is squashed as if you had put it on railway tracks and a train had run over it.' M'lud.

Still on the plus side, the ones glued into the inside of the tankers before putting them together are being preserved very securely away from any harm.

Edited by Jamiel

Plenty of trainspotters shall be carted off to the gibbet forthwith for placing the queens coinage atop of the bullhead.

Off with their heads.

I wonder what has more fiscal value. A 2p coin  or its equivalent weight of liquid lead?

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Plenty of trainspotters shall be carted off to the gibbet forthwith for placing the queens coinage atop of the bullhead.

Off with their heads.

I wonder what has more fiscal value. A 2p coin  or its equivalent weight of liquid lead?

P

The liquid lead will cost you more!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (depending on where you buy it at).

A little off topic, but at least I will have some good company when they lock me up in the tower.

2012-queen-smoking.jpg

Craftsmanship of a different kind to model railways, Hairy Growler jewelry, worth a look if you are trying to pacify 'her indoors'* after your latest loco purchase, and are looking for something a little different.

http://hairygrowler.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/one-shall-enjoy-oneself-hand-cut-coin.html

http://www.hairygrowler.co.uk/

Apparently turning coins into rings was something soldiers did in the trenches in WW1 to make presents for their loved ones back home.

Anyway, back to the Dapol tanks tater today.

Jamie

*Not wishing to insult anyone by suggesting this hobby is a purely male domain.

Apparently satellite dishes have been installed using drilled 2p coins, as they were cheaper than the washers....

(Not by me! - I believe it costs considerably more than 2p to make the coin.)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Apparently satellite dishes have been installed using drilled 2p coins, as they were cheaper than the washers....

(Not by me! - I believe it costs considerably more than 2p to make the coin.)

The coins did cost more to produce than their face-value, until they ceased to be made from a copper alloy; they're now made from electro-plated steel.

• 1 year later...

Did the etched underframe for these tank wagons ever appear?   :scratchhead:

Not yet. Enterprisingwestern might be able to comment on development progress. Mike? MIKE???

If you're desperate for springing it's not to difficult to adapt Bill Bedford W Irons to fit discretely under the Airfix u/frame. 3.2mm evergreen channel for the solebars with a 5 thou insert with the rivet detail pressed in make the job a good un. Time for the same pic to be trotted out again.

post-508-0-66327200-1476917560.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Did the etched underframe for these tank wagons ever appear?   :scratchhead:

Pepsi

Regrettably for Brian, life, the universe and a crap builder forcing him to build his kitchen extension himself got in the way of a lot of things, not least the tank wagon chassis. Prototypes exist and in relative terms, not a lot of work would be required, but Brian's roundtuit pile is considerably bigger than most other modellers. Don't write it off, but also, don't hold your breath, it will work out a cheaper and better detailed way to go than the RTR version.

Mike.

Regrettably for Brian, life, the universe and a crap builder forcing him to build his kitchen extension himself got in the way of a lot of things, not least the tank wagon chassis. 

The Life of Brian.

Seems like that kitchen extension took longer to build than the M6.   :smile_mini2:

How many kitchens and bathrooms (oh and not forgetting the patio mods and the railway room) is it you have to do? :wink_mini:

What is it they say about Spanish builders? I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer to have that mankini party. :chok_mini:

• RMweb Gold

How many kitchens and bathrooms (oh and not forgetting the patio mods and the railway room) is it you have to do? :wink_mini:

What is it they say about Spanish builders? I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer to have that mankini party. :chok_mini:

3 of the former and 2 of the latter.

The patio mods have escalated now that we have had our boundary properly surveyed with satellite computer wizardry and such, looks like there's a possibility of a somewhat more spacious residence for Wibdenshaw, could be in the region of 30m x 10m, should just about squeeze it in.

Annoyingly, we used English builders due to the Spanish varieties reputation, and a 10 day job started on the 8th of August still awaits completion.

Hey Ho, at least it's warm, if not a tad wet currently.

Oh no!

Now I'll have that vision of Mike and his mankini in my head for the rest of the day....

Thanks Porcy, thanks very much.

Dave Franks

And your point is???

Mike.