Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Peco have modelled this wagon for many years in 7mm

Paul

Paul

Thanks for that.  Never really looked at the Peco version.  Just recently purchased a couple of the underframes and was impressed with the quality and the extra parts.

Any idea what wagons had the more solid axle guards?

Thanks again

Ernie

• 3 weeks later...

I like the top photo, are they 21t minerals? I didn't know they were used for scrap.

Steve.

They were, notably the fitted ones; we used to receive about 100 wagons a week at BSC Landore, about half-a-dozen being 21 tonners. To my eye, the odd thing in that photo is the single air-braked wagon at the head of the train, rendering the rest unfitted.

After the mid-1980s, when domestic coal traffic virtually disappeared overnight, a number of 21t fitted minerals received air pipes to enable them to work from Dunston and Blaydon to Teesside, formed into Speedlink feeder services.

They were, notably the fitted ones; we used to receive about 100 wagons a week at BSC Landore, about half-a-dozen being 21 tonners. To my eye, the odd thing in that photo is the single air-braked wagon at the head of the train, rendering the rest unfitted.

After the mid-1980s, when domestic coal traffic virtually disappeared overnight, a number of 21t fitted minerals received air pipes to enable them to work from Dunston and Blaydon to Teesside, formed into Speedlink feeder services.

Thanks Brian, I asked the question in a separate thread but would you happen to know when minerals were first used for transporting scrap?

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

45142491194_1e459b698a_k.jpgLowestoft by Kevin Lane, on Flickr

Going to need a few more for my model of Lowestoft

Apologies for going slightly OT.

What is going on with the tarpaulin covered wagons and what wagon are they, something to do with fish presumably?, there seem to be a lot of them to be an infrequent working, if they are containers why are so many covered, they can't all be damaged?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

This one was in the http://www.rmweb.co....e/#entry3118179 thread.

I just wondered if it was still on TOPS in its converted state.

10422378746_73cd6953d6_k.jpgSnowdown by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Regards

Ian

PS. I posted this by mistake in http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/139938-16-t-mineral-wagons-for-the-pontypool-blaenavon-railway-appeal/&do=findComment&comment=3384491 so if you have seen  it twicce, you are not dreaming, I am just being incompetent!

• Like 9

What is going on with the tarpaulin covered wagons and what wagon are they, something to do with fish presumably?, there seem to be a lot of them to be an infrequent working, if they are containers why are so many covered, they can't all be damaged?

Mike.

Dont know Mike, fish was usually in dedicated fish vans or in a variety of other ventilated vans, I have a couple of photos of containers sitting in the yard but not on the harbour side. For Birdseye maybe, but these arent insulated - unless a tarp counts as insulation... Any information would be gratefully received.

Richard

• Like 1

Dont know Mike, fish was usually in dedicated fish vans or in a variety of other ventilated vans, I have a couple of photos of containers sitting in the yard but not on the harbour side. For Birdseye maybe, but these arent insulated - unless a tarp counts as insulation... Any information would be gratefully received.

Richard

The other thing they might be is loads of semi-finished softwood from Scandinavia and the Baltic, which was imported via the smaller East Coast ports. This was carried on a mixture of purpose-built timber wagons, Plate wagons and 'Rectank' wagons to various locations, including Melton Mowbray; the wagons were sheeted, with the tarpaulins coming down to solebar level. Conversely, when I've seen containers (and vans) sheeted because of leaking roofs, the tarpaulin only covers the top, and a couple of feet down the sides and ends.

• Like 1

Thanks Brian, I asked the question in a separate thread but would you happen to know when minerals were first used for transporting scrap?

Steve.

They were certainly used in that role by the mid-1960s; I remember them at our local steelworks. I can imagine that wooden wagons preceded them, though I'm not sure where you'd look for confirmation. It's also possible that there wasn't that much scrap traffic outside the major manufacturing areas; such scrapyard staples as domestic appliances and scrap cars weren't exactly common-place, whilst there were a lot of small foundries, producing things like drain gratings and manhole covers, who would use up locally-produced scrap to supplement pig-iron.

• RMweb Gold

There was something of a sea change in the scrap trade by the mid 60s, and as a byline it affected Dai Woodham's attitude to cutting up steam engines.  The industry had developed in the late 40s on the back of war surplus disposal, which was running out by about this time, and new sources of material were being sought; the cars and washing machines, as well as railway scrap which bridged the gap between military surplus and the modern type of material for a good decade.  Now, I am no expert on this, but it seems to me that this coincided with the development of the large scale transport of scrap by rail, originally in 16ton minerals but continuing to the present day, from breakers' yards to steelworks where it was melted down and given the opportunity of an exciting new career as a washing machine or something...

A wooden bodied wagon would not have lasted long with this sort of load trying to demolish it (the steel 16tonners took a bit of a knocking about), and was probably unsafe, but now I've stuck my head over that particular parapet, there'll be a flood of photographic evidence!

Just about make this one out in pic's taken in Aug' 1982. They may be of use for a Tinsley 1980's based layout, Tinsley DMD Internal user 041217. 

20 003.

attachicon.gif1-5-2018_188.JPG

20 003 was a relatively early withdrawal, going in August 1981 according to railuk.info. So the picture of the locomotive may be unusual too.

• RMweb Premium

Mike.

HI Mike

I think it is a sheeted load, the wagons carry whatever have roller bearings. Conflats never did.

By heck! The bottom pic' of the class 31 could'nt half pass for a model. :O

Hi Bob

No, the give away is the LMS van, it ain't a Bachmann one it is too tall.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1