Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Bear in mind the lamp iron was on the door, swaps didn't always retain the lamp, so some went without, some had new brackets welded in slightly different places.

Mike.

I do not understand what you are saying!

Fitted (vacuum braked) wagons had lamp brackets but not on unfitted ones.

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

I do not understand what you are saying!

Fitted (vacuum braked) wagons had lamp brackets but not on unfitted ones.

Mark Saunders

The lamp iron was on the end door of fitted wagons as in Porcy's picture.

Sorry Mark, can't explain it any simpler!

Mike.

It also has a what appears to be a Continental draw bar/hook but with instanter coupling, I would expect that the lamp iron would be fitted at a later date when the omission was spotted!

A GWR type instanter at that but with the RIV top shackle. So still within wear tolerance at shopping or salvaged and transferred from another bit of Rolling stock.

Next picture from those at Corral's Wharf is a pressed end door wagon on the same tippler.

6454428569_ef2b9e675c_z.jpg093 Corralls Wharf Southampton 10.71 by George Woods, on Flickr

I'm pretty certain it's been there since day one.

I'm also pretty sure it was there on the LMS built examples including their end door iron ore version. I'm off out for a few hours I'll check up tonight.

From memory all  immediate post war builds that Woolich Arsenal turned out had pressed doors and relied on the pressed out section that extended along almost the full width of the bottom of the end door for their strength.

P

• Like 6

DB573332 at Doncaster 3rd July 1984. Re-bodied, push-rod VB, angle tie bar, instanter couplings, lamp iron.

post-7238-0-09061500-1520503897.jpg

CD557972 at Derby 29 July 1986. Re-bodied, 8 shoe clasp brakes, long hydraulic buffers, instanter couplings in short position, OHE warning label, lamp iron in use.

post-7238-0-96424300-1520503881.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

This shows that the same body was used on the 10' wheelbase wagons as on the common 9' wheelbase version (I think this is the first time I've seen a photo of 10 footers), resulting in a rather odd 'wheels at the extreme ends' appearance.  I mention this because it shows that the Hornby and Dapol 16ton mineral wagons on generic 10' wheelbases are still wrong!

It's sort of academic for me now; I have sufficient minerals for a loaded and an empty coal train, with 2 over for general use, and only 2 have duplicate numbers; not bad for a 22 wagon fleet of RTR wagons, though they are a mix of steel bodied, 21ton, and XPO.

This shows that the same body was used on the 10' wheelbase wagons as on the common 9' wheelbase version (I think this is the first time I've seen a photo of 10 footers), resulting in a rather odd 'wheels at the extreme ends' appearance.  I mention this because it shows that the Hornby and Dapol 16ton mineral wagons on generic 10' wheelbases are still wrong!

It's sort of academic for me now; I have sufficient minerals for a loaded and an empty coal train, with 2 over for general use, and only 2 have duplicate numbers; not bad for a 22 wagon fleet of RTR wagons, though they are a mix of steel bodied, 21ton, and XPO.

Strange comment. These were conventional underframes from Palbricks some via Coil carriers - Coil P. 17ft 6in over headstocks with 10ft wheelbase. http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/mineralmcv10ft

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul

Why would they be transferring the load?

Gordon A

Who knows.

ID the two men and they will probably tell you why.

The Peak looks almost as grubby as the WD, plus a brake tender behind the Peak.

Edited by andytrains

Who knows.

ID the two men and they will probably tell you why.

The Peak looks almost as grubby as the WD, plus a brake tender behind the Peak.

There's another 2 brake tenders behind the darker 16t