Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

16t minerals

Loveley atmospheric photo. The 21t mineral, 2nd row of wagons up, on the left, looks to be of the cupboard door variety.

Paul J.

LNER loco coal, with fabricated doors (not pressed as many of them had).

Also several vacuum braked 16ton minerals and I think the freight stock red double door mineral next to the Loco coal is a 241/2ton (later MEO), Nice variety!

Paul

Also several vacuum braked 16ton minerals and I think the freight stock red double door mineral next to the Loco coal is a 241/2ton (later MEO), Nice variety!

Paul

Thanks for the info Paul. I did wonder if it was of LNER origin, but not a loco coal.

Paul J.

• RMweb Premium

Paul

Not sure about that Freight Red mineral being a 24.5 ton one; although it's slightly taller than the adjacent ex-LNER wagon, the proportions don't seem right. Could it be a 21t 'Minfit'?

As late as the beginning of the 1970s, I saw a seemingly ex-works  ex-LNER 'Loco Coal' at Llanelli stabling point, with a shiny black rectangle between the two sets of doors, and the lettering 'LOCO COAL'

Not sure about that Freight Red mineral being a 24.5 ton one; although it's slightly taller than the adjacent ex-LNER wagon, the proportions don't seem right. Could it be a 21t 'Minfit'?

Agreed, MEO had much deeper top door

Paul

Toton 1952. Photo British Railways.

attachicon.gif0ED81876-5158-4DEE-AD84-6C1886BC95BB.jpeg

Lovely view; the seemingly half-full wagons are probably carrying iron-ore for either Stanton and Staveley or Corby. If it was high-density imported ore, there would appear to be even less in the wagon.

The two wagons loaded with spoked wheels look like models, especially the one with four wheel-sets.

Vans and merchandise stock are conspicuous by their absence.

Twenty years after this photo was taken, I went on an official visit to Toton, and the mix was similar.

I've never seen a 16T in the wild, and it's crazy to see the scale of them compared to people in real life - much like how you can close your hand over the boiler of an A4 in 4mm/ft  and think of the driver 'squeezing in' to the cab - when in fact they were behemoths (as I found out, at the NRM).

I've never seen a 16T in the wild, and it's crazy to see the scale of them compared to people in real life - much like how you can close your hand over the boiler of an A4 in 4mm/ft  and think of the driver 'squeezing in' to the cab - when in fact they were behemoths (as I found out, at the NRM).

Even relatively small wagons like the 16-tonner are quite big; imagine emptying one by hand, which was the way most coal yards did.