Farish Class 14

bmthtrains - David

Could be far worse....could have used Phillips screws....but nobody would be that daft....

What, like on the Dapol Brit. And on the Farish B1?

I await the measurements - rather than this yet to be proved speculation.

It's not speculation. That's how it actually looks to me and others. But it needs to be checked.

G.

It's not speculation. That's how it actually looks to me and others. But it needs to be checked.

G.

The Dapol Brit would I am sure have looked a bit better if the screws had been the same colour as the rods. I have to agree that the Phillips screw holding the motion bracket on the Farish B1 is also somewhat ungainly but at least it is blackened and the same colour as the motion and blends in more.

I think something has to look "right" and sometimes even if measurements are correct a model can still look "wrong" - I'm not sure about the Class 14 myself, to me the pics are inconclusive. However surely until someone has confirmed the measurements, whether the wheels are actually underscale or not does remain just that - speculation?

Yep! And the Dapol B1. But I guess you ignored it as it's got a heap of other howling errors :lol:

Until backed up with conclusive fact (i.e. a proper, accurate measurement) it is nothing more than speculation.

Cheers,

Alan

I've just got my new class 14 and it seems like Bachmann QC has taken another dive - it has big sploshes of black paint on the wheel treads, blobs of glue on the sandboxes, missaligned brake blocks, a bowed out coupling rod and the rod retaining pin on one wheel sitting twice as proud as the others. Perhaps it's a friday afternoon jobbie. It's rather disappointing. I'm almost to afraid to test run it. :(

G,

whether the wheels are actually underscale or not does remain just that - speculation?

it is nothing more than speculation.

I'm sure they may well be accurate but it's not 'speculation', it how they appear. Even if correct or overscale they can and will still LOOK underscale.

Yep! And the Dapol B1. But I guess you ignored it as it's got a heap of other howling errors

I haven't ignored it. I wasn't aware it was available. Is it in the shops? But it's not a model, either by Farish or Dapol, that I want or are particularly interested in. :P

G.

• RMweb Gold

Probably about the time that DC users stop being so affraid of DCC fitted locos and stop using DCC killing Relco's and do a proper job of cleaning the track instead. The price difference has also got something to do with it, although getting DCC fitted PCBs produced & populated shouldn't be that much more expensive than a DC equivalent...

Hi Steven,

I don't want to go off topic from the 14 but just wanted to throw in that I am not sure people are afraid of DCC but for sure as you say (and certainly for me) the price is the biggest issue - am already paying to change my wheelsets to 2FS (my own choice of course) so a decoder etc on top starts to all add up - one day of course, I will make the switch to DCC when income starts to exceed expenditure...but at present I have to remain fashionally unfashionable ;) - BTW...personally, I never had any success with a relco all those years ago :O

Best, Pete

I'm sure they may well be accurate but it's not 'speculation', it how they appear. Even if correct or overscale they can and will still LOOK underscale.

How they appear to you. They look fine to me. If they are scale then your eyes are wonky :P. Should be 8.25mm diameter by the way... (4ft).

Anyone care to enlighten graheme with a measurement?

I haven't ignored it. I wasn't aware it was available. Is it in the shops? But it's not a model, either by Farish or Dapol, that I want or are particularly interested in. :P

Yep, launched exactly the same time as the Brit.

Cheers,

Alan

I've just got my new class 14 and it seems like Bachmann QC has taken another dive - it has big sploshes of black paint on the wheel treads, blobs of glue on the sandboxes, missaligned brake blocks, a bowed out coupling rod and the rod retaining pin on one wheel sitting twice as proud as the others. Perhaps it's a friday afternoon jobbie. It's rather disappointing. I'm almost to afraid to test run it. :(

G,

Send it back then and stop moaning!

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

How they appear to you. They look fine to me. If they are scale then your eyes are wonky :P. Should be 8.25mm diameter by the way... (4ft).

Anyone care to enlighten graheme with a measurement?

Come on chaps, stop bickering - remember we're all just big boys and girls playing trains :rolleyes:

For the record I ran my trusty digi-callipers over the class 14 and the wheels are bang on at 8.25mm. Wheel width is 2.25mm. The wheel rim is a tad fat which perhaps gives the impression of the wheel being small. The face of the spokes/balance weights is set back a few thou from the wheel rim though not sure this has much impact on the appearance but does mean there is plety of meat to turn the wheels down to 2FS standards and thin the tread width in the process which will further enhance the look of what I think is a very nice model. Unlike most diesels where the wheels are largely hidden, the 14 will really benefit from the finer wheels as, like on a steamer, they are such a prominant component in the look of the loco.

Jerry

http://www.jerrycliffordmodels.co.uk/

Dr Al, Grahame, please give it a rest with the pot shots at each other. Sticking a smiley at the end of each comment doesn't really make it acceptable.

This is the third thread you've polluted with it and it's become really tiresome for the rest of us - the very fact I've gone against my Own Rule No. 2 indicates how significant it's become.

Come on chaps, stop bickering - remember we're all just big boys and girls playing trains :rolleyes:

Absolutely agree; several people are getting fed up with N/2mm Dapol/Farish topics being turned into a war zone.

Dr Al, Grahame, please give it a rest with the pot shots at each other. Sticking a smiley at the end of each comment doesn't really make it acceptable.

This is the third thread you've polluted with it and it's become really tiresome for the rest of us - the very fact I've gone against my Own Rule No. 2 indicates how significant it's become.

I apologise. I'm as utterly tired of the incessent and seemingly deliberate Bachmann bashing as the rest of you:

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29704

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ngauge/message/124066

and is why I tend to get carried away and comment on it. So I can only stand up and be a man, and offer apologies again.

So to get back to something positive and constructive, how is the new class 14 geared? The 08 wasn't geared as low as the 04 and I'm interested to know which (if either) the 14 uses.

Regards,

Alan

Send it back then and stop moaning

Reporting deficiencies with a model I have purchased is not moaning - it may help others with their purchase decision and provides an opportunity to discuss how to resolve the issues. And I'm entitiled to my opinion and to post such information.

However, although normally you'd be right about sending it back - that way the manufacturer gets to know how bad things are - it's easy enough to clean the paint off the wheel treads and probably sort out the coupling rods, plus the blobs of glue are underneath and will be disguised when weathered.

The issue is that currently it seems that there are so many locos (3mTs, class 14s, etc) being reported as dodgy and being sent back that it is obvious that the majority of new ones are poorly finished in one way or another, and the replacement would probably be no better or even worse. It all rather depends on how the thing runs and I won't know that until I test it later this week.

G.

• RMweb Gold

On the issue of DCC space - according to reports on one of the Yahoo groups, the motor is in the short hood end and the long hood is full of weight, which rather negates the idea that there isn't space.

So the question is really whether fitting some form of DCC provision either a socket or DCC built in adds *that* much to the price. My suspicion is probably not, but that is purely my view (YMMV).

On a wider point I still question the logic of omitting DCC provision for part of the range, particularly for the part of the range that is most difficult for a user to fit a chip to and that stands to benefit most from DCC provision (slow running, shunting moves, DCC controlled uncoupling etc). To my mind there is still a reluctance from some manufacturers to go full out on DCC, which given they can sell us more stuff if we do go DCC seems a tad strange...

Cheers

Mike

Looks pretty good to me! :)

Cheers,

Alan

Does look good. Early concerns over the wheels seem unfounded (at least when applying the three foot rule), can live with the incorrect colour on the coupling rods, but the cab colour appears way off - may have to wait for the un-weathered version.

• RMweb Premium

On the issue of DCC space - according to reports on one of the Yahoo groups, the motor is in the short hood end and the long hood is full of weight, which rather negates the idea that there isn't space.

So the question is really whether fitting some form of DCC provision either a socket or DCC built in adds *that* much to the price. My suspicion is probably not, but that is purely my view (YMMV).

On a wider point I still question the logic of omitting DCC provision for part of the range, particularly for the part of the range that is most difficult for a user to fit a chip to and that stands to benefit most from DCC provision (slow running, shunting moves, DCC controlled uncoupling etc). To my mind there is still a reluctance from some manufacturers to go full out on DCC, which given they can sell us more stuff if we do go DCC seems a tad strange...

Cheers

Mike

Hi

Has anyone taken a picture with the body off?

I'm wondering if there is space to mill part of the weight in order to fit a chip in the long bonnet end.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Picture of the inside of the model:

post-3594-028984100 1288881010_thumb.jpg

I would imagine that a decoder will fit in fairly easily into the cab once you remove the plastic seating.

Excellent model, particularly like the fact that all the railings are separate pieces and not moulded. Only gripe would be the colour of the cab which should be much lighter.... I have taken the weathering off the model which I thought was making it appear darker but that has not helped. It appears that the cab is actually a separate green plastic moulding that has not been painted, although I could be wrong!

Yeah comes off very easily with enamel thinners.... I haven't done the cab side yet with the decals so that may need something a little gentler if you want to keep the number and logo.

Thanks Mercig - I've got an etched cab to go on mine so numbers and logos are the least of my worries! I think I've found my purchase for the weekend...

Pix

Managed to get my hands on one today and I think it's ace. The cab paint issue is annoying (It's not just the shade of the green but it's also missing the grey bit) but it's nothing that 10 minutes with an airbrush can't sort out. The cab separates from the main body which makes the job even quicker and that nice Mr Isherwood at CCT offers the transfers. The weathering is a bog standard factory floof of Dale Winton orange but I removed it with some acetone free nail polish remover, the residue in the nooks and crannies really highlights some of the details. The coupling rods are a little chunky but I guess that's just because of it's mass-produced nature, I do have some more scale ones etched but I don't think I'm brave enough to tackle adding them..!

dscf2612k.jpg

Mine lasted about half an hour after I got home before I started tinkering and 4 hours later, this is all that's left! The cab is offer for hacking and repainting, as are the coupling rods. The end bufferbeams will be repaced with etched ones from the above sheet. Just need to send the wheels off for turning and I'll be cooking on gas! B)

dscf2609d.jpg

16T minerals? D9500s? Dogfish? Wherever could this lead to....

OMS -

Pix

Archived