BR Multiple Unit Green differences

Mucky Duck

• RMweb Premium

Well T&R Williamson can supply the correct shade of paint I require, but minimum order currently is 1 litre which is more than I'll ever need.

Have you thought about *mixing* your own shades from what is available from your preferred purveyor of enamels ? I don't have any pics to post at the moment, but I spent some time last year mixing variations which might suit my ideas of "southern green" and the shades of rail blue seen in some specific printed photos of locos.

For me, lighter shades are better - maybe that's a "scale colour" influence - so as well as greens I've also used rail grey and warning panel yellow on occasion. As a starting point, if this idea appeals, try either malachite and the lighter shade of EMU green (my preference), or, if your preferred shade is between the two shades of EMU green, as it might br, then mix those - or "detune" brunswick green with a lighter shade. Start with a 1:1 mixture. You will probablyt wish to alter the proportions after the first attempt - I find it best to keep a small test swatch showing each paint or mixture (and in my case I also apply varnishes to parts of the swatch - so far, I haven't tried different coloured primers).

I'd not seen Bernard's point about colour blindness until today, but colour perception is important : I remember asking my parents why the grass at a football match was blue when we first got a colour TV. Also, some photos of green Bulleid units in the 60s seem a lot paler than everything else, and I can just about remember that impression from trips to London, so true shades might not be accurate as units age! What works for me may very well not work for you, but a little mixing doesn't cost much (just a few pots of enamel you might not use again), and ought to be cheaper than buying a litre of paint.

ĸen

Oooh, this is a most timely discussion given one of my latest projects. I have got a Dapol railbus kit to the painting stage but to me the paint I acquired for it many moons ago appears too light a green upon opening for the first time. It's Humbrol authentic HR113, can anyone confirm my suspicion please? My desired time scale is very late '50s onwards, from what I read here I should perhaps be using the darker green but finding someone who sells it on this side of the planet isn't so easy. The only railway colours that I have found easy to obtain through retailers here are the Humbrol acrylic range. Any thoughts most gratefully received.

Is the Dapol Railbus the old Airfix Park Royal kit? I built one of these in a hotel room in 1960. Livery was standard BR dark (Brunswick) green lined in cream.

AC Cars Ltd : Bright Malachite green livery when new.

D.Wickham & Co. : Dark green with cream lining.

Waggon und Maschinenbau, GmbH. : Bright malachite green when new. Dark Green when repainted.

Bristol Commercial Vehicles. : Bright malachite green with chrome trim. Not sure if repainted later in life.

Yep, that's the one. I built it and the Harrow Model Shop chassis kit for it about 20 years ago and figured it was about time that I painted it! Thanks for the colour references, looks like most of my mu projects will need to be in the brunswick green. I'm sure the tins of the lighter green that I've got will be handy somewhere...

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since this thread had an update, but to let those interested know, I settled on Renault 923 (MMD6-5550) Vert for the 4-EPB, and have since completed a 2H set for the same friend. It's a 2-EPB to start next.

The 4-EPB can be seen here: http://www.gauge0guild.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1830&whichpage=2

Ian

The issue is that in the past paint would fade very quickly after a few runs through the carriage wash so you could end up with various shades of either the original of latter MU Brunswick green. When you look some old photos of MU's some have suffered from colour degradation too, which does not help.

XF

Returning to this thread, it occurs to me why the date 1954 may have been chosen to label Precision's paints. The first BR DMU's were introduced in 1954, these being the early Met-Camm's with skirts benieth the bufferbeam and the 'tram-front' Derby Lightweights. I saw the Derby Units on the Conway Valley and working between Rhyl and Llandudno on the 'Welsh Dragon', and assumed at the time they carried standard passenger locomotive green. It looked slightly bronze-ish but I don't want to lead anyone down the garden path.  Cream lining rather than orange & black lining (as carried on locomotives) might have an effect on the overall appearance. Prior to these units coming out, the few DMU's were blood & custard and the EMU's had carried a shade of green akin to post-war malachite.

....the few DMU's were blood & custard....

Now this intrigues me, Larry.

I can think of the LMS three-car articulated unit which was, I think, in red and cream in LMS day; and the ex-GWR railcars - were there others?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Now this intrigues me, Larry.

I can think of the LMS three-car articulated unit which was, I think, in red and cream in LMS day; and the ex-GWR railcars - were there others?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

No others come to mind at the moment john.

• 4 years later...

How many different shades of green were there on Southern Region EMUs, either Southern Railway designs or BR Standard, in the 1950s and 1960s?

I have seen it written many times that the early BR green of 1949 was basically the same as the later Southern Railway malachite green, ie a pretty bright colour.

I have also read that from c1956, the same time as the SR reverted to painting hauled stock in green, a darker shade of green was used and this was the same shade for hauled stock and units.

It has also been suggested to me that from 1960, units were painted in the same shade of green as diesel and steam engines, often referred to as Brunswick green (not sure that term is accurate though). This is also the shade that was used for non-SR DMUs and EMUs from around 1960.

Is there any definitive account of the greens used on the SR in the BR era up to the adoption of rail blue in the mid-1960s?

Grateful for any thoughts on this subject.

DMU 'dark green' late livery = deep bronze green (BS381C 224)

DMU 'light green' early livery = mid Brunswick green (BS381C 226)

Have a look at the class 114 and 127 DMU at the midland railway centre for a comparison.

Hope this helps.

DMU 'dark green' late livery = deep bronze green (BS381C 224)

DMU 'light green' early livery = mid Brunswick green (BS381C 226)

Have a look at the class 114 and 127 DMU at the midland railway centre for a comparison.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Archived