Post a Bargain! (no discussions / questions) (was Bargain Hunters)

The Beales department store in Bolton has quite a lot of stuff on sale in the toy shop in the basement. Hornby OTA wagons are £9.99 each with six different versions in two different liveries available. Also a lot of Airfix 1:76 kits are reduced to £3 each. The MK Bedford is close enough in scale to get adapted for late 1970s civilian use. Also all the Hornby Olympics sets are much reduced too.

I popped into the 99p shop in town earlier to get some more wrapping paper, and noticed a "Dental accessories set" for, erm, 99p containing various things including a toothbrush (which is probably good enough for scrubbing things covered in modelstrip), a small angled reflective mirror (which might be useful for uncoupling tension locks) and a 'plaque remover' type thing for cleaning in between your teeth, which looks perfect to me for coupling with three links.

For those of you who like to use solderless connectors, or Scotchlocks, for attaching your droppers to the DCC bus, you can get 100 for less than $5 US...

Blue 18-14 Gauge Wire

Red 22-16 Gauge Wire

No connection other than a (soon to be) satisfied customer as I just ordered 300 of them!

Oh, and they ship worldwide at a reasonable cost.

• RMweb Gold

This MAY be a bargain - time will tell?

Hattons still showing pre-order price for Dapol OO Class 21/29 as £104. Dapol have announced the manufacturing slots for these has been given over to Class 121/122 whilst they seek accurate drawings etc.

• RMweb Gold

This MAY be a bargain - time will tell?

Hattons still showing pre-order price for Dapol OO Class 21/29 as £104. Dapol have announced the manufacturing slots for these has been given over to Class 121/122 whilst they seek accurate drawings etc.

Assuming Hattons honour their early price promises it probably will be in view of the pace at which prices are moving.  They were selling the Bachmann SECR liveried Class C at just a shade above the trade price so I understand.

• RMweb Premium

Assuming Hattons honour their early price promises it probably will be in view of the pace at which prices are moving.  They were selling the Bachmann SECR liveried Class C at just a shade above the trade price so I understand.

Whenever I've pre-ordered - sometimes 12 months in advance - Hattons have held the original price.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

ian allan in brum has a few bits and bobs on sale

lets see what i can remember, dont quote me on prices!!

135A2445-07ED-4C7F-8BED-E40923F66375-237

Bachmann

gwr ROD £80

early emblem black ROD £90

LM desiro £100

windhoff MPV £90

Hornby

olympic 1948 set (N1 tank loco? and 2 gresley composite coaches) £120

imperial airways set (T9, pullman kitchen car, 2 other coaches, 1 parcel type) £120

GWR railcar £45

gresley 1st class coach £40

skaledale covered footbridge £15

skaledale open footbridge (nymr type) £15

low relief factory unit £12

low relief 3 arch unit £10

GC subway £15

sheffield park canopy £25

quite a bit of N gauge stuff too, all farish, didnt ake too much notice of the prices though

B1, unrebuilt bullied both around the £60 mark i think

twin intermodal wagons with containers £25

mk1 coaches (southern green amongst others) £12

a few res livery GUV type coaches £12

there are also a few busses and cars etc

i picked up a dcc sound Bachmann 37417 for £120

STORAGE

On a trip to Homebase on Friday I came across  a tower stacking system (comprising of 4 translucent draws) at £14.95 each. The draws are the correct size to enable smaller rolling stock items to the stacked vertically and rakes of carriages etc to be stored horizontally. You can read the box ends through the plastic. The units can be stacked on top of each other and if like me my storage is in the roof no issues of sunlight damage to the boxes. When I purchased them on Friday there was 20% off if you spend over £50 so the outcome was 4 good storage stacks for less than £50.

• RMweb Premium

Following a tip off from a friend, I called in at the National Railway Museum shop this afternoon, where they are selling their exclusive sets of 3 Bachmann private owners wagons for £15 each - in other words, £5 per wagon!

The offer seems to apply to the regional co-op themed sets.  I bought 37-076Y 'North West Cooperative' which includes wagons lettered for Stockport, Chester and Winsford Co-ops; also on the shelves were the 'Cotswold area' set (Chippenham, Stroud and Gloucester).  On leaving the museum I noticed the 'Midlands' and 'London' area sets in the window display with the same price tag - for my purposes the London area would possibly have been more suitable, but as I intend to weather them etc. into BR condition the area is immaterial really.  I chose the North West set as it contained two end door wagons and one with fixed ends - the Cotswold set had the proportions reversed and I thought end door wagons might have been more common.

These are still priced at £29 per set on the NRM web site; I think the price tags in the shop said 'reduced from £27.50', a good bargain at £15 anyway!

• RMweb Premium

Hobbycraft in Hull had various packs of Evergreen styrene strip for £1 each along with a small number of Hornby bits and bobs which were all reduced.

Paul

Hobbycraft pricing seems to vary from store to store! I managed to arrange a trip today that went past two of them. My "standard" 9 litre Really useful box was £4.11 in one shop and £5.49 in the other.

BTW, Evergreen strip not stocked in one shop and £2.49 in the other.

As I said, Hobbycraft pricing seems to be random - I went into one at the end of 2010 to find that a Hornby 31 that had been advertised as £29.99, was still at £75. I queried this with an assistant, who checked on her little hand held unit and then informed me that it was incorrectly marked and should be half-price - of the advertised price -  £15!!!!................................. She hand-wrote the new price on a sticky label and attached it to the box - I couldn't get to the checkout fast enough. Unfortunately, they only had one in stock

Cheers,

Mick

Evergreen stripstyrene at Hobbycraft - it is worth asking the price. 

Hobbycraft in Sidcup had a range at the normal price of £4.79 per pack according to the self edge label.  I asked at the check-out and was told it was on sale - mainly at £1 per pack, with a few packs at £2 each. I purchased a selection and can confirm this. Hth.

Went to uk discount store in southend today (a bit like a £ shop/wilkos) They were selling Epoxy repair putty pellets for 99p, 8 per pack. They look like milliput and come in bullet shape/size tubes.  can be used with wood, metal and plastic.

• RMweb Gold

I made my usual january visit to Ian Allan in Birmingham and they seem to have the usual sale on there's about 12 ROD 2-8-0's of varying types for £90each and 2X NMT H.S.T's £120each and 4X class 08's DCC sound fitted £130each (2x railfreight grey 08661 and 2x B.R green version) also they 2X west coast rail mk2d charter sets at £50 each.

What an absolute bargain!!

• RMweb Gold

nice one cov guard, i'm about to pop in there in about 10 mins to see what bargains there are (just on way in to work) more stuff than was there last week, got £15 on my loyalty card so using that should yeald a bargain or two

Archived