Leyland Experimental Coach

Drifting off topic somewhat the bumpers, exhausts and fuel cap flaps used to drop off the early Leyland Nationals. I much prefered the Bristol RE now a Bristol bodied railway coach would have looked much better..

How do passengers exit a Leyland built railway coach? One out all out! :lol:

Especially if it was an E C W bodied Bristol REL body.

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I’ve bitten the bullet and acquired some Farish Leyland Nationals to marry up to a Farish Mk1 coach chassis and build RDB977091.

I’ll post some progress pictures on my Layout Topic

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75679-kensington-olympia-in-n-scale/?p=3303741

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Nice work, I’ve four N gauge Farish Leyland National bodies to chop as required, only need two for the sides but more for the roof. The bus is a bit narrow so the it might be better just to use the sides and make a new roof in one piece.

Do you have a photo of the repositioned underframe equipment?

Nice work, I’ve four N gauge Farish Leyland National bodies to chop as required, only need two for the sides but more for the roof. The bus is a bit narrow so the it might be better just to use the sides and make a new roof in one piece.

Do you have a photo of the repositioned underframe equipment?

Hi acg,

Here are the photos requested, I don't make any great claim for accuracy of the underframe modifications as I worked from photographs but they seem to look right.

post-34584-0-04909500-1537456231_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-63504900-1537456262_thumb.jpg

post-34584-0-95921600-1537456301_thumb.jpg

The toilet is at the end of the larger boxes with the dynamo at the end opposite.

Gibbo.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Hi acg,

Here are the photos requested, I don't make any great claim for accuracy of the underframe modifications as I worked from photographs but they seem to look right.

attachicon.gifDSCF0390.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0391.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF0392.JPG

The toilet is at the end of the larger boxes with the dynamo at the end opposite.

Gibbo.

Many thanks for that...just the job.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Shrewsbury

010019-081018

The replacement bus service, is now standing at Platform 7!

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Any interior pictures of it, I would expect it to be similar to a 155 inside.  Ironic really as the reason given for no more been converted was that it wasn't an improvement over the mk1 but it was what we got in the end, except that had this project gone to completion we would have still had loco hauled stock through the 90s and maybe beyond 

• Agree 1

On 15/05/2020 at 19:12, ColinK said:

One the Realtrack 142 is released there should be plenty of Hornby Pacers available to convert.  Could be tempted to have a go myself.

They do have different dimensions tbh, being wider. You'd be better off buying a few Peco (Ex Tower) Nationals for the bodies.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
On 09/09/2011 at 17:02, coachmann said:

A relatively innexpensive coach was required for short-distance light traffic, the initial idea being to marry a bus body to a long wheelbase wagon chassis. As an experiment, the Mk.I chassis off erswile E21234 was sent to British Leyland at Workington in 1982 for the latter to fabricate a body using standardised panels off the 'National' bus. It was returned to BR in January 1983 and was fitted with B4 bogies.

The interior consisted initially of two open saloons seating 32 passengers (green & blue seats) and 40 passengers(orange & brown seats). Seats were unidirectional, there were no tables, and the whole coach was designated no smoking and was electrically heated. There were hopes of more vehicles of this style but press reaction was not good. Finished in corporate blue and grey, RDB977091 never entered revenue stock.

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, KevinRussell1975 said:

"It never entered revenue earning service..."

Oh, yes it did: it regularly appeared on Manchester Piccadilly - Brighton services!

I remember riding in it once northwards from East Croydon.  Once was enough! ;)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KevinRussell1975 said:

Oh, yes it did: it regularly appeared on Manchester Piccadilly - Brighton services!

I saw it a few times between Coventry & Birmingham

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, KevinRussell1975 said:

Yeah, I've got a picture of it (not mine) of it sat in between an aircon MK2 and a non-aircon MK2 at Man Picc. I've hosted it on another site as I'm not sure where it came from.

https://www.imagebam.com/view/ME1FO0E

There's also quite a few pictures of the train on Train Testing website.

http://www.traintesting.com/leyland-coach.htm

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, KevinRussell1975 said:

The quote didn't say it never entered revenue earning service - it said the coach never entered revenue stock i.e. it remained, officially, a Departmental/Research Dept. asset.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 1