Felton Lane (Goods). West Durham in the 1940's.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

Track wiring complete and the first trains run!

Due to my decision to cancel the MRC meeting last night due to the weather it gave me a good chance to continue with the wiring.

All track wires have been fitted, all point motors attached (but no power to them yet) and polarity switches wired. The first two trains ran. The first, a goods, arrived and was shunted and the loco and van departed, the second was a coal train. Photos will be posted later.

I will run it some more to find where any problems may be, there are some tight spots in the crossings and a couple of steps at rail joints. I will also decide where uncoupling magnets need to be.

• RMweb Gold

Photos of the first trains...

I know you can't see them moving, you'll have to trust Me.

I also discovered another '5' connection, I can fit 5 wagons + brakevan in the fiddleyard.

J24 5627 shunts the first goods train to arrive at Felton Lane.

post-7104-12629432905529_thumb.jpg

post-7104-12629433042525_thumb.jpg

The first coal train was hauled by N10 9092.

post-7104-12629433120198_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The Station building continues...

The basic roof is now complete, the first photo shows the framework and the second shows it covered over.

post-7104-12631341351626_thumb.jpg

post-7104-12631342523928_thumb.jpg

This type of station building had three seperate roofs, one for each part of the building, but I have simplified it (a bit) on the model having one running right through.

The Goods shed is also almost complete, it is based on the one at Butterknowle and is again mounting board this time covered with Scalescenes english garden bond brick. The corrugated sheeting is SE Finecast cut up into small sections and glued on.

post-7104-12631345302288_thumb.jpg

And the real thing...

post-7104-12631345831077_thumb.jpg

The weigh office is now complete...

post-7104-12631346258136_thumb.jpg

post-7104-12631346339018_thumb.jpg

post-7104-12631346423297_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Introducing Board 3...

Board 3 is 18" x 15" and brings the total up to 1998 sq in. There will be no track on this board, but there will be the yard entrance, the station masters house, the stables and a row of terraced houses. Another '5' is introduced here as there are 5 houses in the terrace.

The first photo shows the board with the front of the terrace propped up where it will be.

post-7104-12635089177021_thumb.jpg

The brick is Scalescenes English Garden bond. Lintels and sills have been fitted.

post-7104-1263508931703_thumb.jpg

Lintels and sills painted and Dornaplas windows fitted.

post-7104-12635089500886_thumb.jpg

The street name 'Pease Row' reflects the Stockton & Darlington origins of the line despite them being NER houses built in the 1880's.

post-7104-12635089646092_thumb.jpg

Door frames. 40thou microstrip on 30thou backing.

post-7104-12635089776021_thumb.jpg

Basic finished door.

post-7104-12635089884371_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul,

The layout looks great, I particularly like the buildings.

I think I'll have to try your method of painting stonework.

I might have an experiment on some brickwork as I've got quite a bit to paint.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Pease Row...

Pease Row is now almost finished with the slates, chimneys, doors and gutters & downpipes fitted. The windows need some curtains behind them and door steps, although these will probably be fitted along with the garden paths when the terrace is fitted.

post-7104-1264009000705_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Rail built stop blocks...

I read on Oldlugger's 'Kent Industrial' thread on here a few weeks ago about someone wanting to build some rail built buffer stops but didn't know how to go about bending the rail without kinking it. An article in MRJ No 48 by Steve Hall was mentioned about how he made a bending jig/tool for making the buffer stops for Halifax King Cross. As I needed some 'Stop Blocks' (as the NER called them) I looked up the article and made my own version of the jig, slightly different but it worked just the same.

The first photo shows the jig, some lengths of rail, the magazine article and an NERA drawing of a suitable NER 'Stop Block'. The spanner was to turn the jig, but this proved unnesesary and it could be turned by hand.

post-7104-1264616887876_thumb.jpg

The second photo shows the rails after they have been anealed.

post-7104-12646169014746_thumb.jpg

A length of rail in the jig.

post-7104-12646169096168_thumb.jpg

Spanner used to turn the jig.

post-7104-12646169174304_thumb.jpg

Rail bent and ready to be removed.

post-7104-12646169529261_thumb.jpg

18 bent rails, 16 were needed (4 stop blocks) but I did a couple of spares.

post-7104-12646169618473_thumb.jpg

After the 'legs' were cut to length they were held down and the uprights, two pieces of rail 20mm long soldered together and joggled, were soldered onto the first side.

post-7104-12646169741429_thumb.jpg

The second side was laid over the first with a piece of rail to keep them apart and soldered on.

post-7104-12646169855224_thumb.jpg

8 stop block sides 4 left and 4 right. The front and backs are set at different angles although the bend is at 90 deg. the joggles on the uprights all go to the outsides.

post-7104-12646169969216_thumb.jpg

The completed stop blocks. The beams are two pieces of rail soldered together and glued to plastic angles which are glued onto the uprights, this should keep them electrically dead.

post-7104-12646170062033_thumb.jpg

post-7104-12646170162665_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

Have just spent a good 20 minutes reading through your thread and admiring your work, I must say it's absolutely Cracking,

One thing I will ask is what gauge it is, as I can't seem to work it out?

Thanks for the comments Josh.

I've just scanned through it myself and I do appear to have missed off the scale/gauge, it's 00.

Thanks for letting me know, It was just to say if you could get away with modelling to that standard in 00 (to the standard I couldn't recognize if it was 00,Em or P4) Makes me think whether it is worth going to all that hassle to change gauge for a future project. It's Convinced me :rolleyes:

I look forward to some more Pictures and updates, I might even have a go myself at the rail buffer stops!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

looking good as your layouts always do.

You know the best way is the DCC way laugh.gif laugh.gif . There is a little bit more room in those locos than your N gauge stuff rolleyes.gif

Love the coal drops, even thought they arn't finished yet, i can just see that area being great for taking some black and white pics.

Also you have an invite for Darlington for next year (for who ever is doing it wink.gif )

cheers

Simon

ps you should know not to say anything when People ask you about layouts laugh.gif laugh.gif

• RMweb Gold

Dan - Thanks for the comments and good luck with your own buffer stops/stop blocks.

Simon - although it is wired for DCC I'm not converting any of my LNER locos, it MAY and COULD be run DCC if necessary :P (probably 1960's with a 24 & 17) there was no need for any section breaks/switches as it will be run with 'one engine in steam'. My inspiration was the Croft and Forcett goods branches and the recent articles on both in North Eastern Express and the NERA walk up to Butterknowle last May. I will PM about Darlo'.

• RMweb Gold

Simon - although it is wired for DCC I'm not converting any of my LNER locos, it MAY and COULD be run DCC if necessary tongue.gif

I will PM about Darlo'.

Y0u know it makes sense, just wait till you go off to lunch, a few sound locos (couple of 24's ) on there unsure.gif rolleyes.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

pm recived and reply sent

cheers

Simon

Hi Paul,

Great layout, a couple of questions if I may?

I love your coal drops, what stone work did you cover the bay walls with? and what wood and sizes did you use for the track bases? I had thought of using the Hornby Scaledale bays (not the covered ones) but scratchbuilding (bashing :blink: ) them would suit me better :D

Thanks for your time

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

The stone is from Slaters, I think 'Large Dressed stone' not the rounded stuff, I'm not exactly sure what it is called. The timber is 4mm for the track beams and 3mm to support the deck. I used the drawing in North Eastern Record Vol 1.

Good luck with yours. The Scaledale on is based on Goathland, which is only 6 miles from me.

Hi Pete,

The stone is from Slaters, I think 'Large Dressed stone' not the rounded stuff, I'm not exactly sure what it is called. The timber is 4mm for the track beams and 3mm to support the deck. I used the drawing in North Eastern Record Vol 1.

Good luck with yours. The Scaledale on is based on Goathland, which is only 6 miles from me.

Thanks, thats great.

Pete

Hi Paul,

Its coming along fine. Another question if I may. What wood did you use for the track support and side support on the drops? Was it Balsa? Would that be strong enough? I have completed the hollow for my drops, and will be cracking on with the drops themselves very soon.

I have also laid the first bit of track on the lower sector plate and the two fidlle yard roads on the left hand board.

As ever thanks in anticiption.

Pete

Archived