HAYMARKET CROSS 1961/62 East Coast main line shed

silverlink

I do have two of the new Heljan 'Baby Deltics' early disc type that are presently being weathered by my good friend Mike Johnson so I will put a couple of photos on as soon as I have them back.

Thanks

Ian

Nearly finished Ian,

I've repaired the steps on no.5 and applied matcote to both locos. I'm not quite happy with the roof on each, so I'm working on them. The sides and fronts are finished and there's a little more dusting to do on the underframe, battery boxes and bogies They'll be ready for the club meeting on Wednesday, if not before. As requested, workaday appearance and a little uncared for.

About to start loading Haymarket Cross and Rumbling Bridge into the van for Preston show this weekend. Hope to see some RMwebbers there. Have a good weekend everyone, wherever you are. New stock running on both layouts.

• 1 month later...

Have finally had the chance to check over the layout ready for a mini show I am attending at the Spring Steam Gala on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway at Pickering this w/e 26/27th April. We will be in the Education Centre on platform 2 which we will have the pleasure of sharing with Bittern, K1 and other notable steam locos so please come along and say hello.

I have added few shots of my new class 23 'Baby Deltics' and class D11

post-4401-0-54575200-1398407517_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-24408500-1398407534_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-62692200-1398407552_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-45276000-1398407572_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Ian

Very nice weathering on those Baby deltics. Did you use a varirty of techniques to achieve this effect?

I gave them a light coat of a mix of Precision Paints dirty black/track colour and once dry I passed them on to Mike J who did some dry brush painting. I'm sure once he sees your question he'll give us all the info on what to do to achieve this finish. 

Ian

This is the heaviest weathering that I've applied to any diesel. Ian requested workaday appearance, but uncared for. I worked from a photo which was probably taken at a late date in the locomotives working life and if anything, it was even more uncared for. What has become known to us as the Tim Shackleton method since his DVD, was used to start with. (Paint on, wipe off) Various colours of highlights and dirt were then dry brushed over the top. The finish was sealed with mattcote varnish.

I have to agree with 'Bigwordsmith', that it is a heavy weathering job.  

• 1 year later...

After many months without adding to my thread I thought it was time to bring things up to date.

For the past couple of months I have been working on fitting a fuelling depot and changing the DCC system from Lenz to Digitrax. I attach some photos of the fuel depot which uses parts from the Knightwing range.

post-4401-0-01076900-1443387301_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-50321900-1443387330_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-67415300-1443387365_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-58589800-1443387382_thumb.jpg

The fuel tankers are Dapol kits which were really easy to assemble, I understand they go back to the early 60's when Airfix made them. They are 20ton class B type which were in use in the early 60's.

I will attach some photos of the Digitrax system in the near future.

thanks

Ian H

• 1 year later...

Hello all. I hope Ian doesn't mind, but I would just like to say that I am now the proud owner of Haymarket Cross! I am an 80's blue diesel man, so you can guess where this is going to go  :paint:

I will be featuring the layout as it is updated across on my workbench thread here...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64736-my-detailingrepainting-projects/page-86

Hello all. I hope Ian doesn't mind, but I would just like to say that I am now the proud owner of Haymarket Cross! I am an 80's blue diesel man, so you can guess where this is going to go  :paint:

I will be featuring the layout as it is updated across on my workbench thread here...

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64736-my-detailingrepainting-projects/page-86

Hi 

I must be honest and say I am very sorry to see Haymarket Cross change from a steam shed to eighties diesels, I have been a big fan of the layout and of Ian's modelling skills over the years.

Ian has a vast collection of LNER Pacific's and various types of locomotives, so do you know if he intends to produce a new layout at all?

Good luck with your new venture it will be very inserting to see the transition of your layout from steam to diesel, do you intend to rename the layout at all?

Regards

David

I'd like to wish Blueeighties all the best with HX in its new guise.  :good:

I can assure Landscapes that Ian does have a couple of other projects on the go, and I'm sure that they won't disappoint.  :secret:

I will not steal Ian's thunder however, as we all know Ian is very good at speaking for himself.  ;)

My ears have been burned  more than a few times. :sarcastic:  

Many thanks Lee for your input,

Yes everyone 'Haymarket Cross' has retired, I'm sure it's gone to a good home and will be put to good use by Lee. 

Over the past six years I've had a great time visiting and showing the layout around the UK, thanks to all the show organisers for having faith in me an inviting me to your shows.

I would like to mention one person in particular for getting me on the show ladder, Sam Porter who works tirelessly on organising the Warners/BRM shows who without seeing my layout and taking me on my word invited me to Doncaster in 2011. It was here that I got five invites to other shows.

Thanks to my team of operators for all your help, without you I wouldn't have been able to do it, we've had a good time and a great laugh on our nights out relaxing! hurrah for Weatherspoons. 

This isn't the end as I'm busy building a new show layout but this time in '0' gauge, 'Falcon Road' which I hope will be running in 2017.

I will, once I get a little further on with it start a thread so you can see what I'm doing, '0' gauge is new to me so I'm sure along the way I'll be making a few mistakes.

As I've changed gauge I will be selling my collection of East Coast locomotives and will, once I've organised them have a list of what's available. Most are DCC and many have sound, working lamps, driver/fireman  and real coal.

Please private message me if there is anything special that you require.

Best wishes

Ian H    

• 1 month later...

Good afternoon all. Just a quick note to let you know that I am selling the main shed building from Haymarket Cross to fund the commission build of a new one. I'm sure you all know the building, but I attach a few pictures. Drop me a pm if it's of any interest.

The building is very well constructed from a ply skin, but I would rather not risk it via the post if possible. Collection from myself at home, or even a show would be ideal. 

Regards,

Lee.

31628787490_e90a68a98e_o.jpg003 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

31965678386_ff9985c002_o.jpg009 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

31628787030_337e3894e3_o.jpg012 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

31965677756_62b6476418_o.jpg014 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

31886073931_c01a7b5c9b_o.jpg019 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

31886073651_65a6209ff3_o.jpg020 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

31162681754_ac4ee9dc2a_o.jpg024 by rothburyuk, on Flickr

And Happy New Year  :sungum:

• 2 months later...

For anyone interested I will be at the Doncaster Swapmeet this Sunday 19th March selling what is left of my Haymarket Cross stock which includes around 100 locos (many DCC) and dozens of wagons and coaches most of which are boxed. I will also have quite a few DCC decoders (boxed) plus point motors and the usual rummage box. 

I'm selling so as to help finance my new '0' gauge layout that I'm building.

Please come and have a look.

Thanks

Ian H

Archived