HAYMARKET CROSS 1961/62 East Coast main line shed

silverlink

• 2 weeks later...

Ian

When I was at the Wigan exbn last weekend.....I spoke to a guy there promoting the Alsager exbns later this year......he didnt think you were going to this exbn, can you confirm please.

This guy wasnt the exhibition manager, so his info was maybe not up to speed.

But I WILL be attending especially if you are there with Haymarket Cross.

Thanks..................Bob.

PS....Dont forget, it is pronounced ALL  SAY  JER

PPS....Just checked out the Alsager exbn website.......your layout is not down there as attending.?????

• 2 months later...

Thanks Jamie,

Lets hope its in good working order as I'am at Railex Northeast this w/e 24/25th Aug with it along with North of England Line. Also at the NYMR LNER w/e with it over w/e of 5/6th Oct & Elizabethan Model show Kirby-In-Ashfield 12/13th Oct.

One or two new locos to run plus a very nicely weathered Ian Kirk Gresley full brake that Mike Johnson has done for me, I will see if I can get a photo of it for my thread.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Its a while now since I updated my thread so here goes, bit of a disaster to start with! I was attending the recent Railex North East show with the layout and on unpacking the layout for assembly found that whilst in store some of the track ends were damaged. We put this down to standing the layout boards on their ends ( they do have 6mm MDF or Ply ends fitted) It seems when moving the pressure on the end protectors pushed the track up slightly thus dislodging it. Luckily it has only happened on one board, we did a temporary repair on site which worked ok for the show but I decided to lift the offending track and do a complete relay. At the same time I have lifted two of the sidings to fit magnets under the track for my newly fitted Kadee couplings.

TRACK REMOVED

post-4401-0-57269600-1378195957_thumb.jpg

I HAVE REPLACED THE MEDIUM RADIUS POINTS WITH LARGE RADIUS

post-4401-0-71660400-1378195987_thumb.jpg

THESE ARE THE MAGNETS BEEN FITTED UNDER THE TRACK THEY ARE NEODYMIUM BLOCK MAGNETS WHICH MEASURE 22x11x2mm

post-4401-0-16795600-1378196009_thumb.jpg

ONCE GLUED IN PLACE THE TRACK IS RELAYED OVER THE TOP

post-4401-0-84645800-1378196377_thumb.jpg

THE RELAYED TRACK GLUED IN PLACE PRIOR TO BALLASTING

post-4401-0-87477000-1378196472_thumb.jpg

I have also been working on an Ian Kirk Gresley full brake coach and good friend Mike Johnson has done a brilliant weathering job on it.

post-4401-0-24912500-1378196787_thumb.jpg

Well I'm off now to finish off the wiring and ballasting but will post some more pics when I get a bit further on.

Ian H

Completed the repair to track over weekend with ballasting and painting. The ballast I used is Carr's 'N' gauge light grey which is laid in the tried and tested way of brushing into place followed by a light spray of water with a drop of washing up liquid. I then dribble a mix of 50/50 PVA & water over the ballast and leave to dry (this only took around 24 hours as it was hot in the loft!) Next I Airbrush the track and ballast with Precision paints track grime mixed 50/50 with white spirit. As I had done all the layout this way the repaired area blended in really well and no repair can be detected. To finish off I sprinkle Woodland Scenics grass around the buffer stops along with the odd bush here and there all fixed with PVA glue.

REPAIRED WAGON SIDINGS AT THE BACK COMPLETE WITH UNCOUPLING MAGNETS UNDER THE TRACK USING A COUPLE OF BUSHES AGINST THE WALL TO SHOW WHERE THEY ARE.

post-4401-0-12345600-1378726114_thumb.jpg

THE THREE DIESEL SIDINGS(FORFRONT)COMPLETE WITH LARGE RADIUS POINTS

post-4401-0-27998800-1378726235_thumb.jpg

BUFFER STOPS WITH ADDED GRASS AND BUSHES

post-4401-0-98660100-1378726402_thumb.jpg

The layout will be in use next at the NYNR LNER weekend 5/6th Oct in the Education Centre on platform two at Pickering station.

Ian H

Hi David,

No I haven't as the shed interior cannot be seen from viewing area, however all eight shed roads have been fitted with inspection pits as well as one road near turntable using code 75 Peco units. The baseboards were routed out first so the pits sat in them I then fed code 75 rail through them and then added the sleepers up to the edge of the pits from both sides which worked really well. Knowing what I do now I would have used scale track and points if I were to do it again maybe with Marcway/SMP or C&l.

PECO PITS FITTED READY FOR TRACK

post-4401-0-68758000-1378750780_thumb.jpg

With reference ballasting one thing that has worked well for me is because I glued the track down with PVA allowing to dry before ballasting as mentioned above I have been able to remove track without damage to either baseboard or track. I just spray the area to be lifted with hot water & a little washing up liquid leave for five minutes and with a thin six inch rule just slide it under the track and up it comes. Ballast drops off leaving track ready for using again.

Thanks

Ian

• 3 months later...

Hi Ian

Just found this and worked all the way through - great layout and very inspiring.

Nowhere near your league, but I'm also having a crack at an Edinburgh Shed concept - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73196-waverley-shed-somewhere-in-edinburgh/page-2&do=findComment&comment=1290443

Happy New Year and keep up the inspiration

Peter

Thanks for that Peter,

You probably won't realise it but I've been following your Waverley thread from the start and have put a couple of replies on it for you under my login name Silverlink. If you ever need any help or advice please just send me a pm.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Its a while since I put anything on my thread so here are a few photos of some of my A4's which I have got out to check over and clean the wheels prior to my next show at Preston on 1st/2nd March. 

post-4401-0-71638800-1392983100_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-04653100-1392983192_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-67263700-1392983210_thumb.jpg

post-4401-0-81821100-1392983228_thumb.jpg

I think there's 23 on view which are the ones I'll be taking with me although I do have all 34 they won't all fit in the box I use for transport! I have spent a couple of weeks on and off cleaning all the stock ready for the show but it wasn't until I had all the A4's out that I realised I hadn't taken any photos.

I do have two of the new Heljan 'Baby Deltics' early disc type that are presently being weathered by my good friend Mike Johnson so I will put a couple of photos on as soon as I have them back.

Thanks

Ian

Excellent shot Ian - has anybody ever come up with a term for  a group of A4s? It can't be a 'stable of As' because that would be more appropriate to A3s - I suppose it could be a 'flock', given the naming convention but in this cause I'd be tempted to call it a 'surfeit of A4s'

They're all very nice and clean - the cleaning staff at 64A have obviously been catching them on the way in as well!

Excellent shot Ian - has anybody ever come up with a term for  a group of A4s? It can't be a 'stable of As' because that would be more appropriate to A3s - I suppose it could be a 'flock', given the naming convention but in this cause I'd be tempted to call it a 'surfeit of A4s'

They're all very nice and clean - the cleaning staff at 64A have obviously been catching them on the way in as well!

Flock? or Stud?

Thanks for comments guys, most of the locos have had a dusting of weathering however some are kept in a clean condition as that is how they would have been if ex works. Also others notably the Haymarket and KX ones would also be kept relatively clean however, as has been mentioned the Gateshead ones are something else! Its hard to put over on a wide angle distance photo how dirty certain engines are. Of note for filth is number 2, 16 & 19 plus one or two KX locos that would not normally be on the prestige trains. I find weathering to be hard to agree on as one person will see it in a totally different light to someone else. I do have photos of many of these locos at work that I took in 1961 and some were just stunning in there cleanliness of note was number 9, 28, 30 and 31.

Thanks

Ian

Archived