Supplier of 4mm scale cross heads.

Gordon A

Cast (I think the MArkits are machined) crossheads are a bit limited unfortunately. Fitting either of the above is a large compromise for most builds.

Someone in the past clearly did a lot of lost wax crossheads and slidebars though as i've got a set in my bits bag for a 6100. The problem with that one is the mould line was kept through the wax stage and went right down the middle of the channels for the slide bars on the crosshead!

• 8 months later...

Can any one advise me of a supplier of 4mm (00) two slide bar crossheads, similar to those used by the Great Western, LMS Walscherts, and industrials as individual components?

Gordon A

Bristol

Definitely recommend Markits' product (M81 in the 247 product listing - see <http://www.gazza.myzen.co.uk/loco_detailing.html> and scroll down until you find them.

HTH,

Stan

• RMweb Premium

does anyone know the running dimensions of the Markits crossheads please?

Hi Michael ,

just measured one up ,

slide bar face to face ( eg running faces vertical ) is 9.7 mm

length of running faces ( horizontal ) is 10.5 mm

width of crosshead 7.2 mm .

• RMweb Premium

Okay , lets try again . Sorry about the last go , I went to recheck and found that the calipers

had not zero'd so the dimensions were about twice what they should be . :no:

Here is a badly drawn dimensioned sketch and a couple of photo's of the Markits

machined crosshead . I hope they are of some use to you .

post-6765-0-71972200-1343685465.jpg

post-6765-0-43532100-1343685485.jpg

post-6765-0-72044600-1343685509.jpg

Well they did! I have some cast cross heads from Cavendish, a brand handled by the late lamented W&H models, from what you describe these may be suitable.

I have measured the recess in the casting for the slide bar and it is roughly 0.8mm or would certainly dress to that size.

PM for an image, I have a spare set in my 'rainy day' box.

(and strangely enough after the driest July since records began in 1870 it is raining today! Last gasp for winter?)

(and strangely enough after the driest July since records began in 1870 it is raining today! Last gasp for winter?)

I had to double take your statement, then I saw you are in Perth Australia. Yes its raining here and we must have had one of the wettest July's in history, and being British the hosepipe ban has just been lifted. Still we have the record for the wettest drout in history, I guess its just the wrong type of rain (like our snow)

The xheads I've drawn and had etched are quiet thin, you're welcome to try a pair...send me a PM, can't send anything straight away as I shall be away for the next 3 weeks and the dogs can't answer emails...yet.

post-9192-0-98768000-1343731048_thumb.jpg

regards

Mike

Archived