Railway footage in feature films and television...

Now you're saying I'm not reputable? Me?  I'll go to the foot of our stairs.

Seriously - does no-one else remember this? If they did it at Paddington they must have done it elsewhere, surely?

Funny thing is that although I lived next to a SR suburban line, watched Q1s pushing milk tanks about when woolgathering at school and spotted at Raynes Park - "Oh, it's just a Spam!" we never went to Victoria or Waterloo and never ventured into any SR sheds, whereas Old Oak and Willesden were well known to us. It was at Willesden that I got to see a speeding Duchess at much closer range than was  truly comfortable, and learned how many small boys could get into an empty tender. Three, if you're interested, though the number would have been a lot higher if there had been more of us.

• Like 3

I see - I hadn't realised. But whatever, that's what I remember. And I'd rather not have my name put on Wiki by third parties, please. Doesn't anyone else remember it?

Yes I do, though never quite as badly as in the Last Journey, but comment about slipping Castles shewing that the film was pure fiction was a tongue in cheek reference to the GWR's sense of its own superiority.

In the twilight of steam I  used to go and watch, smell, hear and feel them at Oxford. When I could save enough pocket money I even travelled behind them,knowing all too well that such pleasures would soon be lost forever.

They certainly did sometimes slip but this was in marked contrast to the Bulleid Pacifics that also came to Oxford that seemed to slip quite badly almost every time they tried to pull a train out of the up platform

I doubt if the GW ten wheelers were any less liable to slip when they were belonged to "God's Wonderful Railway" than later when they were merely BR(W)

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes I do, though never quite as badly as in the Last Journey, but comment about slipping Castles shewing that the film was pure fiction was a tongue in cheek reference to the GWR's sense of its own superiority.

And oh, so seductively superior, so seductively

self-effacingly

deprecatingly

superior. —

We wouldn't insist on it for a moment

but we are

we are

you admit we are

superior.

Edited by Bishop of Welchester
  • Like 1

And oh, so seductively superior, so seductively

self-effacingly

deprecatingly

superior. —

We wouldn't insist on it for a moment

but we are

we are

you admit we are

superior.

Having been brought up in Oxford more town than gown, "The Oxford Voice" (D.H. Lawrence 1929) does sum it up rather well. Even the GWR wasn't quite superior enough for the University which for years did its best to keep it at bay. The GWR was  awfully good though at giving an impression of genteel superiority while going about its real business of carting coal from South Wales. Where I lived you could faintly hear all night the coal trains their "ringing and rumbling, softened almost into melody by the distance" 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 6

Another film cropped up on Talking Pics TV on Monday "It Always Rains on Sunday" starring Googie Withers, John McCallum, Jack Warner & Susan Shaw. Getting repeated on Saturday 9th Dec 4pm and has some railway scenes near the end. According to Reel Streets it was filmed around the East End of London with some scenes at Temple Mills marshalling yard, complete with NE/Eastern region 0-6-0T's 

http://www.reelstreets.com/index.php/component/films/?task=view&id=486&film_ref=it_always_rains_on_sundays&start=20

• RMweb Premium

Another film cropped up on Talking Pics TV on Monday "It Always Rains on Sunday" starring Googie Withers, John McCallum, Jack Warner & Susan Shaw. Getting repeated on Saturday 9th Dec 4pm and has some railway scenes near the end. According to Reel Streets it was filmed around the East End of London with some scenes at Temple Mills marshalling yard, complete with NE/Eastern region 0-6-0T's 

http://www.reelstreets.com/index.php/component/films/?task=view&id=486&film_ref=it_always_rains_on_sundays&start=20

A very good film, in my opinion, even without the railway content, but the final chase though the goods yard amid hurtling wagons is truly nail-biting. It looks as if the actors were genuinely in danger at times.

A very good film, in my opinion, even without the railway content, but the final chase though the goods yard amid hurtling wagons is truly nail-biting. It looks as if the actors were genuinely in danger at times.

It wouldn't in the least surprise me if they were in danger knowing the lack of safety rules in the industry at that time. Rather than filling out safety forms it was probably a matter of being told not to have an accident

• 1 month later...

I know I've mentioned it on here before and there was a youtube clip...now deleted on here but there is a film called Terror on a Train, I think it was also called timebomb. I've got my finger out and finally got some screenshots of it showing an 8F 48600...supposedly somewhere in Birmingham. Also shots of Portsmouth station with a few Southern items so I presume Portsmouth is correct. Added to that a siding with wooden bodied open wagons full of sea mines, one of which looks like it's had some planks replaced from another private owner wagon.

post-5014-0-17977800-1515445608.jpg

post-5014-0-48662500-1515445610.jpg

post-5014-0-61004600-1515445811.jpg

post-5014-0-91235900-1515445823.jpg

post-5014-0-83486000-1515445846.jpg

post-5014-0-63585800-1515445859.jpg

post-5014-0-17070600-1515445871.jpg

post-5014-0-62242400-1515445894.jpg

post-5014-0-88568900-1515445909.jpg

post-5014-0-20233000-1515445987.jpg

post-5014-0-08258400-1515446015.jpg

post-5014-0-42885600-1515446037.jpg

post-5014-0-97120400-1515446097.jpg

post-5014-0-71476300-1515446331.jpg

• Like 5

Interesting episode of "Father Brown" this week where the Stationmaster was murdered (not THE Stationmaster, I hasten to add!)

The Stationmaster in question had a model railway in a large shed. However - bearing in mind that the series was set in the 50s - the layout appeared to include Ratio plastic kits and Code 100 track....

Some screen shots of Seven Days to Noon which had some railway shots. Opening credits are shots on the lines into Waterloo. Later some shots of Southern region carriage sidings which I presume is some where like Nine Elms. There are some shots of a footbridge but I don't know the location for that although the scene has one of the characters throwing a coat over the bridge and landing in the carriage sidings.

post-5014-0-87763400-1515613410.jpg

post-5014-0-93638400-1515613423.jpg

post-5014-0-90622200-1515613435.jpg

post-5014-0-82109100-1515613446.jpg

post-5014-0-46045300-1515613456.jpg

post-5014-0-21376800-1515613471.jpg

post-5014-0-16599700-1515613486.jpg

post-5014-0-30680900-1515613488.jpg

post-5014-0-89990700-1515613492.jpg

post-5014-0-76091100-1515613510.jpg

post-5014-0-87278800-1515613512.jpg

post-5014-0-77819000-1515613514.jpg

• Like 1

I know I've mentioned it on here before and there was a youtube clip...now deleted on here but there is a film called Terror on a Train, I think it was also called timebomb. I've got my finger out and finally got some screenshots of it showing an 8F 48600...supposedly somewhere in Birmingham. Also shots of Portsmouth station with a few Southern items so I presume Portsmouth is correct. Added to that a siding with wooden bodied open wagons full of sea mines, one of which looks like it's had some planks replaced from another private owner wagon.

It's the 'Bedenham Bomber'..

Long time back in Heartbeat a stationmaster was also involved  in a crime at the station,he had a model railway in his shed plus a great deal of stolen goods and an unexploded bomb outside the layout looked fairly modern but it still got blown up.

Just been watching Sherlock Homes - A game of shadows. A couple of railway related scenes although I think a good part of it was CGI. First off is what looks like Kings Cross...with a number of trains in it including what looks like a 4-4-0 and a train of clerestory coaches. I would presume standing in for Victoria or London Bridge as the train was supposed to be going to Brighton and I think all CGI as no wires at Kings Cross. Also scenes shot at the Great Western Society, Didcot with some of the GWR engines thinly disguised as German engines and we are talking wafer thin. And I nearly forgot that Victoria bridge on the SVR makes an appearance as well when Watson's wife is thrown off a train.

Edited by jetmorgan

Just been watching Sherlock Homes - A game of shadows. A couple of railway related scenes although I think a good part of it was CGI. First off is what looks like Kings Cross...with a number of trains in it including what looks like a 4-4-0 and a train of clerestory coaches. I would presume standing in for Victoria or London Bridge as the train was supposed to be going to Brighton and I think all CGI as no wires at Kings Cross. Also scenes shot at the Great Western Society, Didcot with some of the GWR engines thinly disguised as German engines and we are talking wafer thin. And I nearly forgot that Victoria bridge on the SVR makes an appearance as well when Watson's wife is thrown off a train.

I found it very irritating that the automatic brake didn't operate when the train was blown in half ;).

'Spies of Warsaw' ,starring David Tennant, features an escape by train (loaded with Polish Govt gold) to Romania, in 1939. Only problem is the loco, which is a Polish Ty42 (a German Kriegslok type, which didn't appear until post 1941, I think).

Just been watching a documentary about the life and work of Buster Keaton on Sky Arts, worth watching!  The documentary featured scenes from Busters 1964 travelogue for the Canadian National Film Board, but someone has been playing fast a wild with the external railway shots, I spotted Swindon Works, Leeds Central, Dumbarton Rock, Edinburgh and a Blue Pullman!

Great story about a wonderful man - with added trains - Buster would have approved!!

Jim

• Like 1

Some screen shots of Seven Days to Noon which had some railway shots. Opening credits are shots on the lines into Waterloo. Later some shots of Southern region carriage sidings which I presume is some where like Nine Elms. There are some shots of a footbridge but I don't know the location for that although the scene has one of the characters throwing a coat over the bridge and landing in the carriage sidings.

Clapham Junction carriage sidings? There's what looks like an M7 tootling about. There is a very long footbridge that crosses them, which these days seems to have a roof, but might have been open in earlier times.

• 4 weeks later...