Dapol Easi-shunt magnetic couplings in N

Andy Y

Guest Natalie Graham

They would have been better if the couplings had been made in the form of a small hook on the buffer beams with three linked loops hanging from them and coupling/uncoupling achieved by a working little man with a hook on a pole. ;) they look good though and anything which works automatically has to be an improvement on the terrible N Gauge things we have had for years. I would imagine that, in time, these will become the standard fitting on new stock and the old things will become just a bad memory. With these and then end of steamroller wheels the two biggest drawbacks of N Gauge are gone.

Does anywhere actually have these available yet?

Dapol Dave mentioned in another thread that they'd been dispatched to retailers last week, but I can't find anyone listing them in stock yet.

I'm itching to try some for compatibility with some of the Microtrains conversions I've experimented with in the past!

Re: carving up older stock, I've found that with Farish wagons and coaches, to fit Microtrains couplings, the only thing that needs to be "carved" is the platstic prong which the coupling spring fits over. Since I have an irrational need to be able to unconvert anything I've converted, the trick here is to just trim the prong short enough so that the Microtrains spring housing can fit in. I've found that doing this leaves enough of the prong left to hold a Rapido coupling spring.

Re: coupler heights, I've never been that careful about this with my Microtrains conversions. I've found the couplers will still couple and stay together even if they are not at the same heights. As such I'm not sure this issue is worth a lot of worry. The key is to make sure the metal pins that hang down are all about at the same height from the top of the sleepers so that the magnet can exert an appropriate force on the two couplers being uncoupled. These pins can be bent or moved up and down to accomplish this.

Re: just because we're discussion couplers and I haven't figured this problem out yet: has anyone found a way to convert a Farish Cl 44/45/46 Peak from Rapidos to Microtrains? The Peak drawgear pocket is not nearly as deep than most other pockets and there doesn't seem to be enough room to fit a spring in there along with the coupler!

I haven't seen Bachmann's design but as far as I can tell, Dapol have hit the bull's-eye and have definitely beaten Bachmann to the punch. A simple product with simple operation which is a simple converstion. My only gripe is the price. Six pounds for two couplers? There isn't 6 pounds of labor or materials in there - the cost of the packaging is probably more than the cost of the couplers! And who needs just two couplers? Dapol need to repackage these, sell them in bulk and drop the price. As It's beaten Bachmann to market with its design I might humbly suggest to Dapol Dave that having done so, were Dapol to price these cheaper to encourage people to convert most of their stock now Dapol could really capture the whole market for themselves, as once fitted, who is going to buy and fit a competing product?

Just a thought. I'm sure Dapol have done its sums. But 6 quid per pair? C'mon.

Matt

Edited by oreamnos

• RMweb Gold
If they haven't that's excellent news, but in coversations I've had with him some time ago at exhibitions (all long before I had any idea you were releasing knuckle couplings) he was certainly talking about the need to 'step' the head height away from the NEM height, as well as issues with making sure they didn't flex vertically. Of course, haviong not seen his couplings I could have misunderstood what he said, or things may have changed.

Hi there,

I think the original idea was to use the Microtrains standard; and this would mean incorporating a "swan neck" element to the design to raise the coupler head up from the lower NEM socket height.

However, this presents an engineering challenge, especially on longer trains, with a tendency for the coupler heads to "bow" under tension, and in turn possibly cause the trip pins to strike the track, with obviously unfortunate consequences. Other difficulties - such as the issue of bufferbeam contact which you identify - would also have required the vehicles to have a greater spacing than would be considered acceptable.

Given that the only advantage of setting the coupler at Microtrains' height is that it can run with US fitted stock, I now understand (as does Dapol Dave) that Farish have decided the problems outweight the advantages, and have sensibly decided to set the coupler at the lower NEM height.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

My only gripe is the price. Six pounds for two couplers? There isn't 6 pounds of labor or materials in there - the cost of the packaging is probably more than the cost of the couplers! And who needs just two couplers? Dapol need to repackage these, sell them in bulk and drop the price. As It's beaten Bachmann to market with its design I might humbly suggest to Dapol Dave that having done so, were Dapol to price these cheaper to encourage people to convert most of their stock now Dapol could really capture the whole market for themselves, as once fitted, who is going to buy and fit a competing product?

Just a thought. I'm sure Dapol have done its sums. But 6 quid per pair? C'mon.

Quite agree with the price for a single unit, but, I have had a quick hunt about and have found packs of 5 being advertised for £19 http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/35746/NSPARE8_Dapol_Magnetic_Coupling_5_Pairs_

I'm sure that there will be other shops doing similar deals but at £3.80 a pop this strikes me as being far closer to the mark (not saying that I wouldn't like to see them even cheaper but I'm sure I'd never find them as cheap as I would like).

Quite agree with the price for a single unit, but, I have had a quick hunt about and have found packs of 5 being advertised for £19 http://www.kernowmod...upling_5_Pairs_

I'm sure that there will be other shops doing similar deals but at £3.80 a pop this strikes me as being far closer to the mark (not saying that I wouldn't like to see them even cheaper but I'm sure I'd never find them as cheap as I would like).

Thanks for the link. That price is a lot easier to stomach. Not even close to what Microtrains sell for here in the States (approx. £2 a pair depending on the exchange rate du jour), but given that I've had to get use to EVERYTHING being more expensive (I think AIR is even more expensive) in the UK than over here, I can accept it. At least I won't have to pay VAT!

Matt

Hi guys,

As I mentioned on a another thread and in our press releases to all Dapol stockists and magazines, we are releasing 'bulk pack' multi packs of 5 pairs of couplers at an RRP of £19.95 per pack.

I understand the concerns regarding the single pair pack price but please believe me there is a huge disparity in the price from China for a single pair per pack compared to 5 pairs per pack.

I know this won't help some, and I'm sorry, but costs from China are just wierd at the moment.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Matt,

Again I appreciate the price difference between the USA and the UK but as you mentioned there is the dreaded VAT, us the economies of scale between the 2 countries amount of modellers.

Plus, and here's one not mentioned yet.....if a product was made say 2 or 3 years ago then tooling was cheaper and as such combined with the available large N scale market will have long amortised the tooling.

Both Dapol and Farish are starting from scratch and as such will need to factor in the 20% tax and wage rise in China, rising steel prices and 20% VAT.

Not ideal but I hope it helps

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

I also did a quick scan when I quoted the RRP and found a price of £17 for the 5-pack and £5 for a pair.

Yes, I just found them offered at that price, too, from a little shop in Liverpool. Not having to pay VAT obviously helps quite a bit and frankly that discount has always been the only way I could justify modeling British outline over here. I was able to pre-order two 5-packs for £31.33, including carriage to the USA. I think that is a fair price.

I think Dapol have a winner here and I've jumped in head first. I hope the water is deep enough!

Matt

This looks very tempting. For modern ish stock I might be tempted to start simple by changing the ends only of block rakes. After all the rapido doesn't look too bad in the middle of a rake. I do have a few questions before I dive in (or dip my toes!)

Can the magnet be fitted to existing track without ripping it up?

I have a lot of kit built stock using Peco chassis and couplings - will it be possible to convert these?

Finally if I decide to stick with the rapido will I still be able to run any new Dapol releases?

Big thanks to Dapol for this, a big step for N gauge

1. Can the magnet be fitted to existing track without ripping it up?

2. I have a lot of kit built stock using Peco chassis and couplings - will it be possible to convert these?

3. Finally if I decide to stick with the rapido will I still be able to run any new Dapol releases?

I've numbered the above for ease of reply.

1. Yes, if you can remove any ballast and remove the sleepers in between the rails.

2. I would wait and see what NEM pocket kit comes about to fix to the chassis to accept these couplings.

3. These couplings are an aftermarket product, any foreseeable future releases will still have rapido couplings.

• RMweb Gold

3. These couplings are an aftermarket product, any foreseeable future releases will still have rapido couplings.

Just to clarify this point - my understanding is that future Dapol releases will come with this coupling as standard, but will also include in the box alternative rapido couplers (which like the current dummy knuckles are just a pull out, push in fitting).

Cheers, Mike

These looks great - Im looing forward to popping some on my 08 and actually being able to shunt with it! How far down it is possible to bury the magnet into the track for it to still be effective - or does it need to be near or at sleeper level , - just thinking how the magnets could be disguised -

Woudl a magnet like that still work if it had some shallow strips machined across it to look like sleepers?

tfn

Jon

Presumably, the Micro-trains under track magnet would work with these as well? This is one of those products that really adds to the appeal of N, for a long time converting the couplings has put me off, but with a NEM compatible magnetic option, a lot of time can be saved. I'd be tempted to see how well they fit European TT stock as well, as they use the same pocket as N.

Given that the only advantage of setting the coupler at Microtrains' height is that it can run with US fitted stock, I now understand (as does Dapol Dave) that Farish have decided the problems outweight the advantages, and have sensibly decided to set the coupler at the lower NEM height.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for passing on that information. It sounds to me like a wise call by Bachmann. I see my couple of packs and a magnet were despatched by Dapol yesterday - time tro do some experimenting over the weekend with a bit of luck.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for passing on that information. It sounds to me like a wise call by Bachmann. I see my couple of packs and a magnet were despatched by Dapol yesterday - time tro do some experimenting over the weekend with a bit of luck.

Actually, it wasn't the only advantage. I run some 4mm stock with Kadees, and having the knuckle coupler at a higher point makes them less obtrusive when running under corridor stock, epescially when bviewed from the side.

Not to mention the fact that the higher setting is closer to where the real railways actually have them.

Chris

Hey

A brilliant and exciting development indeed! I'm very happy to hear there will be a 5 pack at a better rate. (is there a market for a 10 or 20 pack at an even better rate???? )

My only quarrel will be the position of the magnet. No way am I going to go to such length to get realism in my scene to lump a magnet in between the rails. I couldn't really hide it as a barrow crossing or the like as i'd need one beside my platform, and it would be just silly.

I understand the underboard solution not viable with this product (my foam board is over an inch thick so I wouldn't even consider!) but what about just under the track? surely the 2 or 3mm depth wouldn't render the magnet useless????

In all other aspects, this product is sound, but I fear I'll have to wait and see it applied before I take the dive!

Well done Dapol for getting this to market first!!

Regards

Lee

Hey

A brilliant and exciting development indeed! I'm very happy to hear there will be a 5 pack at a better rate. (is there a market for a 10 or 20 pack at an even better rate???? )

My only quarrel will be the position of the magnet. No way am I going to go to such length to get realism in my scene to lump a magnet in between the rails. I couldn't really hide it as a barrow crossing or the like as i'd need one beside my platform, and it would be just silly.

I understand the underboard solution not viable with this product (my foam board is over an inch thick so I wouldn't even consider!) but what about just under the track? surely the 2 or 3mm depth wouldn't render the magnet useless????

In all other aspects, this product is sound, but I fear I'll have to wait and see it applied before I take the dive!

Well done Dapol for getting this to market first!!

Regards

Lee

Hi Everyone,

It may be possible to excavate underneath sleeper level and then place the magnet at a lower level with some dummy sleepers and ballast on top. The magnets clearly work with code 80 rail so if you are on code 55 (or 40) you will have at least 25 thou to play with which may be sufficient to hide the magnet completely. I'm waiting for mine like everyone else but will be interested to know how low the magnet can be placed and still be effective.

Peter

How far down it is possible to bury the magnet into the track for it to still be effective - or does it need to be near or at sleeper level , - just thinking how the magnets could be disguised -

Woudl a magnet like that still work if it had some shallow strips machined across it to look like sleepers?

The metal pins need to be within the magnetic field for the couplers to work. The closer the pins are to the magnet (without touching it of course), the better they will work. Not having used the Dapol magnets I don't know how strong they are. The Microtrains magnets with which I am familar are fairly strong, but are not strong enough to work well under the sleepers. They need to be placed between the rails.

As for disguising the magnets, all you need to do is paint stripes on them to match the colour of the sleepers and the colour of the balast. I have found the Microtrains magnets to be very hard and extremely brittle. I think you'd end up with a broken magnet if you tried to machine it.

Matt

• RMweb Premium

I really want to use them and I'm at a stage in my tracklaying where fitting them to my layout would be pretty easy; but I'm eager to see just how low the magnets can be set so I can see about hiding them under some very thin cosmetic sleepers and ballast. I don't want to see great big magnets between my rails when I spent so long making all my powerfeeds invisible... I'll have to get hold of a pair and report back!

Simon

Thanks for the replies and thoughts.

I'm sure there will be a solution, but I would like to know how the Dapol magnet fairs. I just couldn't bring myself to sit and weather all my sleepers, then cut a a load out to fit the magnet...just seems to be counter-productive to the detail game.

Regards

Lee :)

I'll definately be making the switch from rapidos to these as my stock collection is currently quite small.

The only problem I can see is when Dapol and Bachmann/Farish publish images of their stock. If the N Gauge stock has this new coupler style added at the factory as standard, it is going to get a little harder to tell the difference between the OO and N stock. I've gotten used to looking for rapidos to tell the difference!

Matt.

Best stay away from the 2mm association threads, some of them are on three links, my brother included

It looks to me more like it could be hidden by paining a dotted white line across it and making it a level crossing.

any in a depot or yard could be hidden in the hardstanding that's brought up to rail level.