Baby Deltics

WardRail

Hi Folks

Quick question, in a couple of age old RM articles I've recently re-read, its stated that some of the Class 23 Baby Deltics made it into the new (at the time) rail blue livery and that a couple actually made it into TOPS coding of the 23 0xx variety. I don't doubt some members of the class did make it into Rail Blue, albeit with Dxx style numbers, however verifying the TOPS coded examples has proven more than slightly annoying...

Can anybody confirm the Tops coding and if so, the actual numbers carried by the (presumably low number of examples) under TOPS ?

Longtime Baby Deltic fan here, having converted 3 from the Monty Wells articles in RM over the years and looking forward to getting my grotty mitts on a Rail Blue Heljan example after xmas

Best

Matthew

None received TOPS numbers, and only 5909 from memory went BFYE http://www.railphotoprints.co.uk/index/detail/11034/D5909-Y-Stratford-0573-RPC164.jpg.html

One of the others got a double-arrow on TTG - 5908 http://www.railphotoprints.co.uk/index/detail/1809/D5908-FinsburyPark-0769-RP274.jpg.html.

Check in the Transition Diesel Liveries Group, topic "Diesels that didn't Transition" for a full expose on the Class 23s!

Also the Heljan BD thread here: http://www.rmweb.co....__fromsearch__1

EDIT: thanks to Downendian for the correction! Plenty of stuff on the net to be honest, no excuse for me giving out duff gen.

Edited by 'CHARD
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

post-6925-0-90691200-1323597542.jpgAlthough I've posted before always worth another look - one of my collection.

D5909 in the company of D5905 scrapped at Stratford, 1971.

If you lose a buffer on your Heljan model....its prototypical

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies folks !

None actually recieved TOPS codings in real life eh ? Hmmmm....

Best

Matthew

No class 23 locomotives ever received five digit 23XXX numbers. Some had the blue data panels, but that's about it. Even if D5901 had been renumbered under TOPS during its life at the RTC, it would have probably been numbered as a class 97/2 in the 972XX number series.

Interesting to note D5909 actually got the correct 'Rail Alphabet' typeface on the numbers; this wasn't always the case with earlier blue repaints.

Derby, Doncaster and Crewe Works were pretty good at conforming to laid down instructions regarding the use and application of the then new 'Rail Alphabet'. Swindon could never seem to make up is mind with blue repaints although I'm given to understand that Newton Abbott actually did repaint a few fire damaged locos, so these may have been the victims of incorrect typeface. St.Rollox also had a problem with shortages of the correct stock of transfers and paint. I remember during a visit there in August 1970 that 5335,5355 and 5370 were receiving complete repaints in un lined green with LYE because, as the guide told me, they were using up old stocks as there was insufficient blue paint for them to use.

There were also other instances of 'depot' repaints carried out at Toton, Stratford and even, I remember, Finsbury Park where a green Brush Type 2 was having a complete repaint in green without, it seemed, little preparation for the new coat of paint. They used to repaint a lot of the roofs grey as well just to smarten things up, but this all seemed to end when the blue era arrived. Brush Traction at Loughborough also carried out some early repaints on 24's,25's and 45's and kept the small yellow panels as well as signwriting over the old style numbers to complete the job.

I was definately these early livery variations which gave me the impetus to take the photos I did at the time without a doubt and it would be quite boring for us modellers if things had been more formal!

Whilst I am replying to the 'Baby Deltic' topic I feel that my reply may well be more suited to the 'Transistion Diesel Liveries' thread.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...