The Model Signal box portfolio

• RMweb Gold

I cleaned the windows many a time and I never fell off. Never mind "Elf's and Snot", If I had been daft enough to let go, it would have been my own fault. Best Wishes, Mick.

My mate didn't get his nickname, Flying Signalman by accident, or rather he did !

• Like 1

Dear Sean, attached a rarther poor view of the NERlys way of fixing handrails to the later "S4" design. As you can see the stanchion bolts trough the walkway bracket.

Gylberdyke had the handrail screwed direct to the cabin as per Bridlington South. I cleaned the windows many a time and I never fell off. Never mind "Elf's and Snot", If I had been daft enough to let go, it would have been my own fault. Best Wishes, Mick.

Thanks Mick.

Another good photo. Just to clarify though as I didn't make it that clear, (it was gone 2am after a busy late shift in my defence), how do you make the 4mm version of the handrails?

Cheers.

Sean.

Thanks Mick.

Another good photo. Just to clarify though as I didn't make it that clear, (it was gone 2am after a busy late shift in my defence), how do you make the 4mm version of the handrails?

Cheers.

Sean.

An honest answer to an honest question, I have never made any. I belive the brackets etc were incorporated in the D&S kit, but as yet, I have not assembled mine. Another way would be to fabricate each bracket either from Plasticard or Brass. I need to solve the problem, there will be at least one such box on my layout. Best Wishes, Mick.

• Like 1

And just to show I'm not a complete novice when it comes to modelling signal boxes, here's one I made earlier.

Bridlington South which was made about 15 years ago and has been in storage since. I was able to take measurements between trains and so this model is as close as I could get it sizewise. Unfortunately, some of the down pipes have come adrift and the whole box could do with a refurb, but until I find a layout big enough - it had 120 levers at one point, hence why there's no interior modelled - it'll stay in its box.

I have noticed that the locking room windows on this box are much finer than my current Quay Crossing effort. I think they are etched and I've seen some other boxes on this thread look similar. Can you still get these etches? I don't remember who made them or where they come from?

post-6920-0-60154500-1326712841.jpg

post-6920-0-97444900-1326712844.jpg

post-6920-0-18623100-1326712847.jpg

Cheers.

Sean.

• Like 3

An honest answer to an honest question, I have never made any. I belive the brackets etc were incorporated in the D&S kit, but as yet, I have not assembled mine. Another way would be to fabricate each bracket either from Plasticard or Brass. I need to solve the problem, there will be at least one such box on my layout. Best Wishes, Mick.

Thanks Mick.

I was thinking I'd have to revert to my usual "make it from plastic rod" theory.

Looks like it may be the way forward. I'll google D+S before making a start on them though.

Cheers.

Sean.

• RMweb Gold

For BG box the group did discuss if for a key building whether the incorrect english bond would be OK; we decided from three feet or so it was fine! The biggest issue is that embossed plastic sheets have mortar (sp?) courses which are too wide really.

This is indeed a very good discussion point. I think that there is a compromise here somewhere, between scale representation of bricks and mortar, and what the eye expects to see on a model.

This is similar for whether the mortar courses should be indented in some kind of relief. In practice, it's hard to discern when scaled up, hence brick papers ought to suffice at one level, but my view is that the eye expects to see some kind of relief, even on the model....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have noticed that the locking room windows on this box are much finer than my current Quay Crossing effort. I think they are etched and I've seen some other boxes on this thread look similar. Can you still get these etches? I don't remember who made them or where they come from?

Cheers.

Sean.

Sean, they look like the D&S ones, the same as I used, I doubt very much that they will be available at the moment as I don't think they went to MSE with the signal parts. You could try writing to Danny Pinnock in the off chance that he might have some, don't bother Googleing.

• Like 1

Sean, they look like the D&S ones, the same as I used, I doubt very much that they will be available at the moment as I don't think they went to MSE with the signal parts. You could try writing to Danny Pinnock in the off chance that he might have some, don't bother Googleing.

Thanks for the advice Worsdell. I thought they might have been D+S as that company made all sorts of N.E.R. etches etc.

It was a few years ago when I built Brid South and a friend was making all sorts of other stuff, water towers and bridges etc. I'm guessing D+S has sold up now from your comments?.....

Cheers.

Sean.

D&S models are still very much in business. Just spoke to him a couple of days ago to order loads of his rather excellent 7mm scale 40ft ladders!

The contact details are...

46 The Street,

Wallington,

nr Baldock,

Hertfordshire ,

SG7 6SW

01763 288353

Jon F

• Like 1

D&S models are still very much in business. Just spoke to him a couple of days ago to order loads of his rather excellent 7mm scale 40ft ladders!

The contact details are...

46 The Street,

Wallington,

nr Baldock,

Hertfordshire ,

SG7 6SW

01763 288353

Jon F

Ah. Thanks Jon.

I may have sorted it now, but will drop him a line regardless I think. I don't suppose there's an email address is there?

Cheers.

Sean.

In todays health and saftey conscious world, you're not allowed on on them I guess.....

Assuming you have them!

Seems odd when you are required to observe things through the windows that you can't physically clean some of them!

• Like 4

Mick,

Superb photos,

The Briddlington box looks a challenge,and very nice model how long did it take to construct?

Many years ago I built the same box in 4mm with full interior and lighting,

westpennardbrochholes2xsboxes005.jpg

Here is a Highland box Kinloss in 7mm scale.

KinlossHighlandrlyBox7mm001-1.jpg

KinlossHighlandrlyBox7mm008-1.jpg

KinlossHighlandrlyBox7mm016-1.jpg

KinlossHighlandrlyBox7mm011-1.jpg

• Like 5

post-702-0-31011600-1326932745_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-12269400-1326932783_thumb.jpg

A couple more I made some years ago. The LMS bracket is fabricated from brass strip and angle and as working "Rocker Shafts" on the front trimmer as per prototype.

I cant remember much of how I built the LNWR bracket, or who's etches I used for the arms. The brackets are probably ex Ratio. The main post, dolls and trimmers will be brass bar etc. Mick.

• Like 5

For a self confessed LMS upper quadrant-aholic, it's surprising how many GW signals I've been persuaded to build...

Here's a couple I made earlier.

post-7179-0-15514300-1327000625.jpgpost-7179-0-77119600-1327000628.jpgpost-7179-0-21094400-1327000621.jpg

The 3 doll is based on one at Shrewsbury Crewe Jn and the little stumpy fella was to fit in a tight spot on someones layout.

Keep them coming chaps..!! :sungum:

Jon Fitness

• Like 6

Some very nice signals on here and Mick even tho I may have seen some before its all inspiring stuff,

Back to boxes

Here is another early effort constructed back in the 90s a freelance GWR type box with full interior fro a Welsh layout.

strat100-1.jpg

strat094.jpg

strat089.jpg

• Like 1

Mick,

Superb photos,

The Briddlington box looks a challenge,and very nice model how long did it take to construct?

Many years ago I built the same box in 4mm with full interior and lighting,

The Bridlington South box is my effort Gravy!..... I'm sure Mick would have made a much better job......

Anywho, when I built it, I was working at the box in question, so I reckon it took me about 6 months in between trains..... The window frames were the biggest pain ever and if you look closely at the North end - the end without the staircase - the eagle eyed among you will notice my measurements fell flat on this section!

Your's is a nice job though, it seems to capture the spirit of this box well. Did you model the levers, all 120 of them? I chickened out before I went completely mad, although I've just finished adding 60 levers to my Quay Crossing model!

Wibble!

Cheers.

Sean.