3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello Everyone,

The crane is here! Yesterday afternoon the WR bogies and other details turned up so I now have all the printed components of Test Print 2 (The first complete print), after quick assembly I put it on the test track and have given it several hours of running in. It now handles 2nd and 3rd radius curves fine and will manage a gradient, the only problem discovered was a tendency for the lead axle of the front relieving bogie to jump of the straights about 5cm from the exit of a sharp curve, a bit of opening up the pivot lightly with a file and more running in has now solved this. I will adapt the next print to open the gaps slightly to allow more movement (effectively what I did with the file). I was also worried that the buffers on the bogies and match wagon might foul each other on sharp bends so borrowed a set of Bachmann sprung buffers of my hall and whilst the do just touch at full extension on a 2nd radius bend, they do not interlock or even compress.

I have taken some photos this morning of the complete test print (apologies again for the poor photo quality). I should also point out that the finish of most of the crane is as received from the printers and some areas have had light smoothing.

post-13109-0-76920700-1379586035_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-61991200-1379586052_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-46348300-1379586071_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-36015100-1379586090_thumb.jpg

On with the etches and production crane. 

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 7

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday the test print of the 4BEP's Buffet arrived, unfortunately it looks like it has been in a fight with the Royal Mail, and it came off worst. This does mean that I cannot yet check it properly on the coach chassis (the roof seems to fit though), however I am fortunately having a replacement sent out shortly. A fair bit of bostik has returned it to its near complete state as shown below, the print itself appears to have turned out very well indeed though and features all the detail that I drew. Anyway if anyone can spot anything that needs changing please say.

post-13109-0-99968800-1379788661_thumb.jpg

Its getting there (slowly).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Looking good.

I know Phatbob is after some in time to modify his CEPs in time for Barrow in Furness show in three weeks time to run on a Star Lane

Ian

Hello Ian,

Ah, thats the layout that its for, I was thinking it was Appledore. Is this a new layout?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Apologies for the lack of updates recently, but a move means I still haven't had chance to do any more design work. Fortunately though the replacement BEP turned up in a really crisp state and more importantly intact. I have also taken delivery of a large number of axles and bearing for all the cranes, as well as buffers and couplings.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

If you want to save some money on plastic filament you may want to start making your own. Nutralabs a UK based company have just launched a desktop 3D filament extruder. It produces about a Kg reel of either PLA or ABS in a day using wholesale resin pellets, which can be purchased at a fraction of the cost of online retail filament. Checkout www.noztek.com

• RMweb Gold

Hello Ian,

Ah, thats the layout that its for, I was thinking it was Appledore. Is this a new layout?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Sorry I missed your post from a week ago.

Yes its a new layout which will be exhibited at Barrow In Furness. A bit of a journey from  West Sussex for its first show but will be worth it.

I gather Bob has been in touch with you last week.

regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Test print for the BEP buffet car in now in my hands. >:-> 

I plan to get it done in time for the launch of Star Lane at the Barrow in Furness show.  I gather that Matt still wants to make a few improvements before it's made available, mainly to give a better fit to the ends on the Bachmann chassis than it has now.  The fit for roof I have to say is perfected already. :)  Matt's just started Uni so he's a bit busy just now, but watch this space.  Hopefully I'll have some piccies for you all from BIF of the finished and painted prototype.

• Like 1

Hello Eeryone,

Bob, Glad to hear you got the BEP okay and good luck with getting it finished off, I look forward to seeing it fully finished.

The BEP designs currently needs some modifications to improve the fit of the glazing and the body on the chassis as the Bachmann body is only a push fit and doesn't use locating lugs or screws. Some modifications to the end profile of the roof line will be made to better fit the profile of the Bachmann roof. Still not got anymore design work done but will hopefully get a little done soon.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

I managed to get to the GCR again this weekend and get a few more shots of the crane to try and clear the last few things up, what I have spotted from my photos is there is no guard between the 'Drums' with the cables on and the footplate/ operating position as can be seen in the first shot, this means that what I have done so far is correct, I have also got some more photos showing the boiler detail and backhead which I still need to finish. After that it is production time! The final shot also shows the arrangement of gear a bit better than some of my previous photos.

post-13109-0-10726200-1381095303_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-81123800-1381095300_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-97301600-1381095298_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hey,

Have you got any plans for a oo gauge 3D printed BR 290 ton boiler carrying wagon with a boiler steam drum on it ???

They have one at NRM Shildon though when I was there a few months ago I couldn't find it.

HSTFAN13

Hello Alan,

Good luck with them, I will be very interested in how they come out

Interesting material. It's more flexible than compressible although it does compress a bit. I printed three things in it to try

- bottle stopper for my MicroSol bottle (because the plastic tops they use seem to disintegrate with time). Works a treat.

- chain mail (one part print with interlinked loops). Interesting, but even with 1.5mm or so diameter links not that stretchy more flexible. I don't think you could print a properly functional costume chainmail bra with it for example.

- coach gangways. These are much too rigid to work as flexible gangways even using 1mm walls. I think it might work in big scales but you'd actually have to print real 1mm thick folds somehow.

It's got two very nice properties. The gangways "clip fit" into the ends - the clip fitting works really well and I think it would make brilliant joiners between parts or motor holders and so on. It's also quite robust so for low feature but thin parts looks like it might be a better choice simply because they'll flex not break.

I'm pretty sure you could make some very cool 'working' large scale springs with it too.

Hello Everyone,

I managed to find some time to start a new project as I want to get something in the pipeline before sorting out some older projects. 

so Puzzle time, what is it an who built it?

post-13109-0-68506000-1381269853_thumb.jpg

Also does anyone know of any photos of them, as I am currently working from a set of plans kindly supplied to me but cannot find any shots of the real thing?

Alan, thanks for the update, that is very useful.

HSTFAN, glad you thanks for the suggestion, probably a bit big for my layout and also expensive I would imagine, especially the boiler. I do at one point want to do a similar style of wagon MR built but not sure when this will happen.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh, I didn't know you where going to start that quickly! I'll have a look through the archive and see if I can find the pictures that go with the plan!

(You could have started on the HR stuff first though! :sarcastichand:   )

Andy G

Edit: I'll not give the game away either, as that would be unfair!

Edited by uax6

Hello Everyone,

I managed to find some time to start a new project as I want to get something in the pipeline before sorting out some older projects.

so Puzzle time, what is it an who built it?

attachicon.gifWBM NBR CCT 015.jpg

Also does anyone know of any photos of them, as I am currently working from a set of plans kindly supplied to me but cannot find any shots of the real thing?

Alan, thanks for the update, that is very useful.

HSTFAN, glad you thanks for the suggestion, probably a bit big for my layout and also expensive I would imagine, especially the boiler. I do at one point want to do a similar style of wagon MR built but not sure when this will happen.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi , yes it probably will be expensive :( I would buy one :)

I only meant the boiler/steam drum as these wagons carried the boiler/steam drums to uk coal fired power stations under construction in the 60s/70s and I've seen a pic of it delivering a boiler/steam drum to didcot power station on the ash loop right next to a cooling tower.

HSTFAN13

Edited by HSTFAN13

Hello Everyone,

I managed to get a little more done on the CCT/ Coaching van today, for those not in the know it is a North British Railway design build around 1912-3.

Here is how it now is,

post-13109-0-84687700-1381350835_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-30811700-1381350836_thumb.jpg

Etched, I haven't contacted the group but I have been using some of the dimension stated on their website which were useful.

Andy, Yes I hadn't planned to do this one so soon but I was inspired by it so had a go.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I can see why it's got a certain something about it. If you can do the details on the solebars I'm sure we can use etched w irons to get the beast running. I find it quite attractive!

Now you are going to do it in 4mm aren't you??

Andy G

Hello Everyone,

Not really an update as such, but I have now got potentially 3(or possibly more) projects lined up that cover awaiting final research, awaiting drawing and drawn awaiting modification (not that I can take credit for the last one), these projects should all prove interesting as they are a bit different from everything I have done to date and cover 2 scales. Each look to have there own challenges but all should be good fun. Unfortunately 2 of them I cannot/ will not say what they are yet, and the 3rd well, that one is really worth the wait!

Looking forward to my home show this weekend, even without 'the Boar' being there this year.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone,

Apologies for the lack of updates recently, too busy with other commitments and trips to local preserved lines.

While there is nothing hugely new to show that is in production, several quite interesting designs are in the drawing boards stretching from pre grouping (see above + something quite special) to modern image. As well as my continuing designs for N gauge. I have however got something to show for the cranes as over the Warrington show weekend I received a shapeways parcel containing 7 pairs of weight relieving bogies in WSF and extra detailing pack (also WSF) as well as the cylinders (with new separate covers to make the LNER cranes) in FUD. The detail parts I have not yet shown but have now test fitted them and they seem to fit well.

post-13109-0-35355500-1385074053_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, this features the chimney lifting gear, which has 3 pieces and with suitable thread can be posed either raised or lower (if fitted at all) or the chimney can be cut down in height to suit the GWR cranes. Please ignore the tape holding part of it onto the superstructure as I had no bluetac to hand and this prototype is to be used as a GWR based crane anyway. The clear FUD part as mentioned above is the later style cylinder covers and are shaped to fit over the round original cylinders (LNER Cranes only as is the tool box for the other side). On the relieving bogie is a tool/coal tray, sometimes these had extra tool boxes fitted, a second set of supports is supplied for the smaller tray used on at least one crane (Neither of these features appeared on all cranes either).

Hopefully soon I may find the time to finish the cab and crab detailing and get the final parts made as well as the etches, as everything else is now ready, axles bearings, buffers couplings and boxes (counting out 100 bearings gets a bit repetitive after a while). 

The plan is now also to get the BEP ready for some time in January, then I can finish the next big project (all 12 of them).

Does anyone know if any printed stuff will be on show at Warley this weekend as would be interested to see them?

Will ISO much as give a clue as to what is next?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Hello Again,

So everyone is not completely in the dark over what I am working on (in OO anyway), here are some clues. Two are collaborations with other RMWeb members in one way or another, but lets see if anyone else can guess.

To start the easiest one, may look a bit  familiar but is a completely different drawing (for OO).

post-13109-0-08448400-1385160407_thumb.jpg

Possibly guessable,

post-13109-0-68071100-1385160406_thumb.jpg

This one may take a few more clues?

post-13109-0-38745200-1385160426_thumb.png

So who will start?

Regard,

Wild Boar Fell