3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello Everyone,

Apologies if you have already see this elsewhere but, last night and today has seen me working on finishing (or nearly) another project that I have mentioned in the past and planned most of but have been short of time to draw it. So yesterday I took the opportunity to have a go.

The vehicle is a buffet car for a Southern Region class 410 4-BEP EMU, and is designed to be a replacement bodyshell for the CEP, to accept the existing roof and chassis (which require the correct details adding). The design has been an interesting one to do and I have learnt a lot, as it is the first coach that I have done like this with windows and other openings on a curved surface. If anyone wants me to explain further I can do so in another post. The body is to be printed in Printable Resin as it is too long to do in Prime Grey, however it appears to be the same except colour. The problem with the project though is the price, especially compared to what CEP's are being sold off at in a lot of shops!  

There are still many smaller details to add such as steps to the ends and door hinges/ handles etc, but this is how far I have got (its already version 65!).

post-13109-0-67114000-1371237843_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-95576000-1371237844_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-59337500-1371237847_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-43037000-1371237850_thumb.jpg

Enjoy,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Thanks Paul,

It would be great If that were possible to do, unfortunately there are a few reasons why I cannot, firstly the items are priced in a very competitive deal that allows models that fit a 125CM^3 box (ie, 5cm x 5cm x 5cm) with no side longer than 20cm so 3 together would be outside the box, incurring a far higher price as they have a high volume of over 30cm^3 of plastic putting them at over 30 euros each, so in effect that pricing structure allows two to be ordered for the same price as one at least. Also I.materialise only allow one model per file and are not keen on spruing items together. 

On the positive side though you still only have to pay the postage for the order once.

Hope this helps, 

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi WBF, ok I understand so hopefully in time once 3D becomes more common and widely used the prices might start to come down.

Cheers Paul

Hello Everyone,

Paul, lets hope so, the technology is developing rapidly, whether this will mean a decrease in the prices for these services in the short term I don't know but I expect in the long term it will do.

Cheers Dave, I have now decided to split it into two pieces so I can use a different material to as planned (hopefully smoother, but also cheaper), the problem with the BEP is its looking like it will be about £45 which is not in my normal territory.

Hope this is of use,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

I have just started work on my biggest printing project so far (in terms of cost and sheer size), the item is a new canopy for my layout (Wild Boar Fell) to replace the York laser cut one that I managed to crack a few years back. The new canopy is longer than the old one and had been designed to fit around the removable station building, it measures in at 60cm long as opposed to the origional 45cm. The canopy itself draws inspiration from that at Keswick in Cumbria, but may also have a hint of grange in it too. I have already had the stantions printed by I.materialise (64 of them) before they changed to the no spruing rule, therefore the plan is to print the roof as a single piece and strengthen it with brass rod. This is just a preliminary design at the minute and will be modified over the next few days. The valance and fancy wood work (not shown) will hopefully be laser cut to add further detail.

Enjoy,

post-13109-0-46590500-1371829392_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-94498100-1371829396_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-21377800-1371829400_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick message to notify someone who has purchased one of my Sheerness wagons in the last few days, that they haven't ordered the bogies and buffers to go with it which are from shapeways. This may be intentional, but I thought I best raise the point in case it was accidental

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Apologies for my lack of updates recently but I have been very busy with some forthcoming items, unfortunately I cannot say what they are yet, but I think I counted that I had been working on 10 different designs in 7 days (including the BEP, Canopy and the Perch) and some of these are still ongoing. A lack of funds until recently has mean that I have had very little prototyped.

However I have had my first parts made by Chris Ward and I was very impressed with what I received, this was two ramp wagons and two ramp wagon dioramas, however I had uploaded the shapeways printable design which is below Chris's advised minimum wall thickness so some bits were adrift) When I get chance however I shall attach some photos. I have also been gathering information for future projects after the Perch's and these include a 4 wheeled ballast wagon LMS built, possibly another large bogie box, possibly a steam locomotive (if I have enough money and can find a cheap patriot/ jubilee chassis) and another big project.

I have however been doing some 'research' today on the latter at the GCR gala today, I now have a detailed set of photos and had already found some plans which I have now scaled, but can anyone guess what it is? A clue is its suitable for my 60's layout but isn't the brake tender?

For anyone interested this is the new build brake tender so far.

post-13109-0-81795300-1373230713_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Something different,

Not a wagon!

I have been planning this project for a while just out of a basic interest in the class and that I wanted to have a go at a loco, so this is the result so far, I haven't got far and its already causing lots of problems in Sketch Up (Snapping mainly) but its starting to look like a LNWR locomotive. The loco will follow the idea that James used successfully on his excellent B5 in that it will hopefully have after-market dome, whistles and chimney etc. The boiler will also be 22mm plastic pipe which is very close to the plans and is more importantly very cheap! (wickes have it 99p for 2m). The locomotive itself is a Claughton and I intend to do it as Patriot but carrying a BR number and late crest! 

I may end up designing the tender if I cannot find a cheap one from a Bachmann Super D to modify accordingly (Any ideas who may have them?). And will sit on a modified Patriot/ Jubilee chassis.

The boiler is shown for perspective.

post-13109-0-75787500-1373407327_thumb.jpg

Enjoy,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Edited by Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

I went on another 'research trip' yesterday over to York and managed to get some detailed photos of the FGA flats that are at the NRM to help me with my design, I also managed to spot my first Perch's/Porpoises in the Freightliner yard at the end of the museam. I have also got photos of other possible projects such as the Flatrol, and some photos of model Claughtons. 

Oh and 6 A4's! (They do look superb and it is well worth the queue).

post-13109-0-52057900-1373662426_thumb.jpg

Ride Controls (Done)

post-13109-0-45943300-1373662471_thumb.jpg

FGA (Partly done)

post-13109-0-25074900-1373663002_thumb.jpg

Caboose (Tempting)

post-13109-0-85684900-1373663010_thumb.jpg

Perch/Porpoise (In slow progress)

post-13109-0-09730500-1373663018_thumb.jpg

1960's Containers (Maybe, but they scored high in the polls, so think they may be out soon)

post-13109-0-87696400-1373663024_thumb.jpg

Claughton (Started, so i'll finish)

post-13109-0-58645100-1373663031_thumb.jpg

Flatrol/ Lomac (Tempting/ simple)

For my photos of the A4's they are on my Flickr with some of the others.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wild_boar_fell_railways/

On the design work front not much has happened, but I have started the Claughton from scratch again as I was having too many problems with the files and edges not being straight.

post-13109-0-42685500-1373663523_thumb.jpg

On the Perch front, I have managed since its last update to get a few more bits done and it is not asymmetrical, but is still a work in progress. I may be closer to finding a solution to the mesh floor though.

post-13109-0-11939600-1373663672_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-81947700-1373663680_thumb.jpg

Enjoy,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

Hello Mike,

Yes It would be a nice project to do, and if I did it I would draw up another 10ft box to go with it and attach them to make them better value. Does anyone know whether there are line drawing/ scale plans for these anywhere or basic dimensions.

Interesting to not is that the NRM's one is sitting on a wooden sheet on top of the chassis and not on the locating lugs. I assume that this is because the Caboose's were phased out before the introduction of the ISO system so accepted the BR air operated system? The wagon it is sat on is a later build so doesn't feature the original mounting arrangements. It also appeared to have a pipe run along the frames removed (I guess this may be vacuum braking when replaced with air?).

On a different note I have just ordered a new book which should help me with my large project that I am hoping to work on soon, when it arrives I can start drawing.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mike,

Yes It would be a nice project to do, and if I did it I would draw up another 10ft box to go with it and attach them to make them better value. Does anyone know whether there are line drawing/ scale plans for these anywhere or basic dimensions.

Interesting to not is that the NRM's one is sitting on a wooden sheet on top of the chassis and not on the locating lugs. I assume that this is because the Caboose's were phased out before the introduction of the ISO system so accepted the BR air operated system? The wagon it is sat on is a later build so doesn't feature the original mounting arrangements. It also appeared to have a pipe run along the frames removed (I guess this may be vacuum braking when replaced with air?).

On a different note I have just ordered a new book which should help me with my large project that I am hoping to work on soon, when it arrives I can start drawing.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

There were 2 styles of caboose, the one at the NRM with rounded roof and round windows and one with square roof and square windows.

In theory ther were 5 of the former and 2 of the latter built, although I have not seen confirmed proof of this, I have seen pictures of each type in service, but not near enough to identify numbers.

The experiment didn't last long because guards riding in a tin box on an comparitively unsprung wagon were being thrown all over the place, and it led to the unions accepting guards riding in rear cabs of locomotives, which BR wanted all along!

As for dimensions, AFAIK they were rebuilt from standard 10 foot containers, so those basic measurements would apply, and were mounted on the underframe as in your pic, which as you say pre dates ISO fixings, they were an early experiment.

Mike.

Hi Matt,

That Caboose is definately different / interesting never seen one before barring the yank things! Pics of the Perch looking good too sir, on the mesh would it not be easier to have the wagon supplied with the floor stanchions / gear seperately as then any choice of fine mesh could be used to lay on the floor then of course the parts fitted in place on top?

Cheers.

Hello Mike and Richard,

Thanks both of you for your comments.

Mike, I seem to remember seeing a picture of one of the other box style cabooses, but I cannot remember where but thinking of it, it was a more modern looking container so I may be mistaken. Cheers on the dimensions front as I have the dimensions for the 10, 20, 27 and 30 foot boxes and a few photos to scale from. Unfortunately for these I will have to work on making a suitable br air lock system to fit the FFA/FGA's (This may prove tricky/fun!).

Richard, you suggestion is a very sensible option as it would be far easier to stick the other parts on later, however I have left them attached in order to being the cost down so I don't have to pay more for separate parts, which would be from Shapeways rather than I.materialise who I am preferring to manufacture the body. I may regret this later though.

Also my new book has arrived and it has confirmed the details I was looking for so I am happy to drop a clue as to what the 'large project' is.

So, who will be the first to identify it, I will give more clues if nobody gets it.

Suitable for my 60's BR LMR layout (But would it look out of keeping on an LMR layout?)

post-13109-0-86775500-1374097577_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• RMweb Gold

Also my new book has arrived and it has confirmed the details I was looking for so I am happy to drop a clue as to what the 'large project' is.

So, who will be the first to identify it, I will give more clues if nobody gets it.

Suitable for my 60's BR LMR layout (But would it look out of keeping on an LMR layout?)

attachicon.gifDSC04336crop.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Is it volume 1 or 2?

Mike.(Fishing for clues)

Hello Everyone,

Thanks Brian, that's probably the one I have seen as it did look too modern.

Also here is a brief history and sketch of the cabooses 

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/7-fops/fo-abcont.htm

Its an excellent site, even if it is aimed at N gauge the prototype info on there will apply to all scales.

Mike and Vonzack very good, (Volume two, a superb book from what I have read so far).

I had purposely cropped this bit off as it would have been a dead give away.

post-13109-0-67945300-1374180164_thumb.jpg

Now can you tell which type, or the actual prototype I am making?

Maybe a bit simple this one?

post-13109-0-98963900-1374180364_thumb.jpg

(You can tell it is a recent photo from the weather)

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi WBF, I have taken the plunge and ordered a trio of GMWA containers from the i.materialise website so I look forward to receiving the first trio shortly. Then its just matter of building up containers until I have enough for seven wagons and then do some of the original plain sided containers to mix in as well for my 8 wagon KFA rake.

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

Hi WBF,

Then the jib looks very much like it's from a Ransom & Rapier 45 ton Steam Crane. But as my encyclopaedic knowledge of Steam Cranes starts and ends there, then I am more than willing to be corrected :scratchhead:

Cheers, Mark.

Hi WBF,

Then the jib looks very much like it's from a Ransom & Rapier 45 ton Steam Crane. But as my encyclopaedic knowledge of Steam Cranes starts and ends there, then I am more than willing to be corrected :scratchhead:

Cheers, Mark.

yup looks like an R&R 45 ton or possible a 36 ton.

more than enough rivets to count on here http://www.bdca.org.uk/index.html

Mark,

No need to be corrected spot on, so to are you Andy it is a Ransomes and Rapier 45t steam crane. I am working on one of the GWR leased/ owned ones (eg the one now preserved on the GCR) for two reasons, firstly I have many photos of it, and secondly because it turns out that it was the only one of that batch that was re allocated across to the LM region in the early 60's apparently so would suit my layout. I have been planning to do it for a good few months, but then after witnessing the Ivatt 2 derailment at Quorn in April and the appearance of this crane helped prioritise it. Indeed I had started the drawing of it before the Wigan show in June I believe but stopped work on it for some other projects (see next post). The GCR then announced that there next gala would feature said crane giving lifting demonstrations so I am now armed with even more photos and some videos eg. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wild_boar_fell_railways/9322585670/

Early yesterday evening I made a start on the Match wagon again (from scratch) and this is how far I have got.

post-13109-0-33289400-1374257915_thumb.jpg

Too many guidelines!

post-13109-0-72112300-1374257897_thumb.jpg

Thats better.

The wagon is designed for Polyamides tolerances which will also make it suitable for Chris Wards machine so the final printer is still to be decided. Either way this will be an expensive project!

post-13109-0-74962100-1374257685_thumb.jpg

and the full set

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wild_boar_fell_railways/8704594141/in/set-72157633396153121

Does anyone know what vehicles these would have run with on the LMR by the way.

(Apologies if this reads as 'jib'berish, the comment about the LMR on a previous post related to a very similar crane being based on the Longmoor Military Railway).

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

Hello (again) Everyone,

As I suggested a few posts back one week a while ago was spent working on nearly 10 different designs, 5 of those were major start to finish projects and required about 9am till 12pm work to complete (ready for prototyping). These were all wagons and were commissioned by County Rolling Stock for N gauge, and I now have permission to show 4 of them to you now, most of them are a bit different to my OO gauge wagons. I learn't alot while drawing them, especially the corners on the tool van and Gannet.

The tope was probably the most fun to draw, and if anything the most enjoyable to draw (hopefully this has given me the knowledge of how to do bogie hoppers in OO). 

I am certainly considering scaling the Gannet up for my own use but I am not certain about the others (TOPE is a no go area because of Hornby).

Anyway enjoy,

GWR WW2 built sleeper wagon (T12), these were later converted into the Taunton concrete wooden sided vehicles.

post-13109-0-26956900-1374262720_thumb.jpg

GWR CC7 Tool van, based on the preserved example on the SVR

post-13109-0-79888800-1374262804_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-77851900-1374262799_thumb.jpg

BR Tope spoil open wagon,

post-13109-0-65429600-1374262867_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-10507800-1374262871_thumb.jpg

LMS Gannet (Cringes as he remembers drawing these corners too)

post-13109-0-05724800-1374262919_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-45658000-1374262922_thumb.jpg

For those interested, I believe Richard (Tricky-CRS on here) plans to release these using a Kickstarter project similar to that used by flexiscale (see seperate threat in this area), I am sure he can add more details about his plans on here.

Enjoy,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

• Like 1