3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Nice one, How did you build it?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

It started as an old grey Hornby TEA tanker, removed the tank from the chassis, removed all ladders and walkways then filled the holes left. Smoothed the filler on the tank then painted white with red stripe. Homemade transfers for panels and logos.

Chassis was cut into 3 at the parts where it gets the narrowest. Removed aif tank and actuators from the narrow middle section to reuse on new under frame. Bogies removed from remaining 2 parts of chassis and yours fitted in their place then fitted back under the tank. New centre part of chassis is made from plastruct girders with air tank and actuators mounted on. Centre White equipment covers are plasticard with strip on.

All done by eye looking at photos so probably not very accurate, just couplers to fit (length of plasticard and nem pocket fitted to bogies). The only parts not modified somehow were the bogies.

• Like 1

I knew there was a difference but couldn't quite remember what it was! It's not the sort of detail that will bother me that much ;) It'll be off to my tame weatherer next to bland everything in.

Some tank details i forgot: the round attachments on each end are 6mm washers, and an extra bit of plastic strip was added along the sides at the bottom to bulk the part that lines up with chassis top out a little. I'm quite glad i only wanted 1 of these and not an entire rake, took a long time getting that tank 'right'.

• Like 1

The question is what sort of nuclear flask or flask carrier or barrier you are aiming for? There once was an H0 model of the monster 4 (?) bogie type which runs in France, and used to run in the UK, and maybe still does. Are you simulating the Old Dalby collision trials???

Edited by mikeharvey22

Going swiftly back to CAD stuff, today I have been continuing work on a background project that I started nearly 1/2 a year ago.

When I noticed that GBL Magazine were going to bring out a copy of the current Hornby Black 5 this gave me the idea of trying to model a rake of locomotives being towed for scrap, as is quite common in photos of the very late steam era. As I am planning a layout based on the Dallam Branch Siding (Warrington) this would make something a bit different to run occasionally. To add some variation to the 4 locos I was going to do some with and without lining. Unfortunately the tenders are copied from the welded tank version which ruled out using the riveting as a variant. To make a noticeable difference I decided to have a go at a self weighing tender (4 of these were built to 2 different designs) as they are pretty distinctive.

The drawing is still in process, but it is being designed to fit the Hornby (Sound) tender chassis as I have swapped all the plastic tender chassis of the GBL models for these.

post-13109-0-61888900-1412783834_thumb.png

post-13109-0-13419800-1412783836_thumb.png

Then moving from aesthetics to the mechanics;

If you are not aware of the Great British Locomotives series I should point out they are static models with a cast metal chassis, naturally this won't roll and will short the layout out. To allow the models to be dragged I have drawn up a printed chassis (PLA) which I have slowly optimised to a point where I am happy with it. The 3 sections push together and will eventually be fixed (probably glued) to the body. To keep the cost down the models will use the Railroad range Black 5's driving wheels, but with the bogie from the main range model, this screws into the front of the chassis. The chassis have been test assembled and still require painting, the locos also need the majority of the valve gear removing too.

post-13109-0-07010000-1412783833_thumb.png

Next time I get chance I will grab a photo of the assembled chassis.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Going swiftly back to CAD stuff, today I have been continuing work on a background project that I started nearly 1/2 a year ago.

When I noticed that GBL Magazine were going to bring out a copy of the current Hornby Black 5 this gave me the idea of trying to model a rake of locomotives being towed for scrap, as is quite common in photos of the very late steam era. As I am planning a layout based on the Dallam Branch Siding (Warrington) this would make something a bit different to run occasionally. To add some variation to the 4 locos I was going to do some with and without lining. Unfortunately the tenders are copied from the welded tank version which ruled out using the riveting as a variant. To make a noticeable difference I decided to have a go at a self weighing tender (4 of these were built to 2 different designs) as they are pretty distinctive.

The drawing is still in process, but it is being designed to fit the Hornby (Sound) tender chassis as I have swapped all the plastic tender chassis of the GBL models for these.

attachicon.gifSWT 009.png

attachicon.gifSWT 009a.png.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

This is looking excellent. I would assume it has an internal coal space? As I think working weighing equipment might be asking a bit much

This is looking excellent. I would assume it has an internal coal space? As I think working weighing equipment might be asking a bit much

Yep thats the plan (coal space that is), efficiency tests of the loco proved that no coal was actually required for movement. Therefore the weighing equipment is unnecessary.

Cheers,

Wild Boar Fell

Not quite an RHTT flat/barrier wagon:

Definitely too many rivets!

post-13109-0-55875300-1413585049_thumb.png

post-13109-0-25851000-1413585053_thumb.png

Pre production prototype 1:

post-13109-0-24745800-1413585180_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-06826200-1413585191_thumb.jpg

I would have said come along and see the prototype at the Warrington show this weekend, but some twit has left it in the Midlands, the show is definitely worth a visit though.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

P.s. More info to follow at sensible hours

• Like 8

Have only recently caught this thread. Your modelling is superb and the 3D products are some of the best I have seen.

I noticed several posts back, some models of the JXA/PXA Sheerness Steel bogie scrap wagons, which looked awesome. Were these one-offs or have you/will you produce these for sale? If so, will you also consider the 102t POA/JXA series Sheerness scrap wagons (as previously made by Appleby)? You would get many orders from me for either or both! Alternatively, would you consider producing Schlieren bogies or bogie sides, to match any attempts at scratch-building the bodies, please??