Plasser & Theurer GPC72 crane

• RMweb Gold

A few renders of something I have been working on in Blender - Plasser & Theurer GPC72 12T crane. The plan is to get some of the sections 3D printed (in 2mm). Still lots of detail to add - I need to decide how much to add (and how much will print - it is easy to start obsessing about small details which you then realise are less than 0.1mm!).

Not the simplest of things to try for a first attempt at 3D design, but getting there (slowly!).

Cheers, Mike

post-219-0-73653600-1327331687_thumb.png

post-219-0-07410700-1327331725_thumb.jpg

I agree about the zoom function - it is evil. Zoom in and you can get a bus through a gap, but the reality might be <0.01mm clearance! Eventually your mind will adjust and only add the details that are i, large/obvious enough that they need to be there for the model to look correct and complete and ii, possible to produced at a realistic size to achieve point i.

• RMweb Gold

Would it be better to produce a lot of boxes to be glued to a superstructure? That way, you could start with something simple such as the engine cover which could include an etch for the air inlet before getting involved in the more complex shape of the slewing superstructure.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments folks.

Phil - that is essentially what I am doing. The 3D render above is actually lots of individual meshes that I can turn on/off. My plan is to finish detailing the underframe/solebar and buffer beams then get it printed as one or two units. See how much detail comes out, then decide what to do with the rest of the structures ie print all, print a master and cast, print and add etched overlays etc.

It will eventually form a kit of parts to be built up into the complete crane.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

Depending on how it all works out, then probably - or at least an initial batch anyway. I don't really want to get into kit manufacturing, but I enjoy the 3D design (even though I still have a lot to learn!).

There is still an awful lot to do to get to a point where I would be happy to sell it to anyone.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steven

Yes, I have thought about handing the lot to the NGS. To be honest I think it will depend on how well the design works, how much can be 3D printed vs etched vs cast etc. In some cases 3D printing lends itself to selling one-off models on demand but can also produce masters for casting (which might be better done on a batch basis).

I'll know more when I get the first part (underframe, buffer beam, sole bar and main body of the crane) printed and am able to see how well (or badly) the design prints.

Cheers, Mike

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi folks

Here is a bit of an update - a poor photo of the first test print of the underframe and sole bar (upside down).

This was done to see how much detail would print and how much detail I would need to draw overscale for things to be visible (ie things that the eye would expect to see even if to correct scale they would be far too small to see).

I think that I have learnt that the sole bar lights probably need to be separate parts to make them easier to paint (I will look at locating holes and pins). Oh and that rivets at 0.1 - 0.2mm diameter will probably not be visible!

Cheers, Mike

post-219-0-83417600-1333556422.jpg

Looks nice Mike! I'd agree with you about making the lights seperate parts, usually the more parts the better as it aids in both cleaning and painting, probably the two most time consuming aspects of building the model; Just be sure that any seperate parts will be strong enough to support themselves during the cleaning and packing process.

I look forward to seeing the model progress!

Kindest Regards,

Jack

• RMweb Gold

That looks good. Have you finished drawing the rest of the crane yet?

Thanks Simon - not yet, I've drawn about 90% of the superstructure shapes, but there is still quite a bit of detail to add.

Then I have to come up with some bogie sideframes as well...

Fortunately a fair few of the components should be re-usable for bits of a P&T twin jib crane.

Looks nice Mike! I'd agree with you about making the lights seperate parts, usually the more parts the better as it aids in both cleaning and painting, probably the two most time consuming aspects of building the model; Just be sure that any seperate parts will be strong enough to support themselves during the cleaning and packing process.

Thanks Jack!

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi WBF

It is printed in Shapeways' FUD - for N/2mm I think it is probably the only material that gives good enough resolution at the moment. All the design work is done in Blender - the vast majority of stuff is built up from very simple shapes with discrete units kept as modular as possible so that they can be re-used where appropriate.

The ex-Warwell cranes look very interesting and you already have the base wagons in your designs. Fortunately they are a bit early for my interests as OTP perhaps wasn't the most sensible subject for my first 3D design!

Cheers, Mike

Thanks for that Mike,

Yes agree with your use of FUD, I've used it once and its far better than WSF for detail, or Primed Grey for that matter. I shall have to have a look at Blender as currently sketch up is my weapon of choice but it has its limitation.

Regards

Wild Boar Fell

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Work still progressing at a geological pace - all just adding details really to the boxes and superstructure. I am getting a bit lost in how much detail to add.

There are a couple of parts that I want to re-do (eg the jib) as it was one of the first pieces I drew and I have learnt a lot since then!

I'll put up some renders of the latest progress in a few weeks.

Cheers, Mike

• 3 months later...

Archived