Hi All,

Sorry about the break in transmission - I had a visit to the the Castle parental units to do but we are back on track now!

So, No. 93 then...

We will finish this vehicle off tonight and then deal with No. 92 later on. We will start with a look through the double doors into the large saloon. There are lots of familiar details for us to see including the handrails, ventilators and lamps in the ceiling and the walkover seats in the middle to far distance. We can also see the composition of the floor. The cross planking making up the actual floor (a detail that harks back to broad gauge times) and the way that the duck boards are fitted on top of that in areas where foot traffic occurs.

post-14393-0-97128600-1444077720.jpg

The big difference to the passenger seating here is the 2 bench seats, arranged in pairs facing each other. These features are present here at the start of the 20th century with these vehicles and they have their equivalents in No. 231, built in 1950! If it 'ain't broke don't fix it I guess... It also shows up the placement of the carriage prints in the vertical spaces between the windows.

post-14393-0-86536700-1444078165.jpg

I thought another look at the remarkable walkover seats was in order - they fascinate both kids and adults when they are demonstrated to them. I tell the kids that they are Transformer seats!

post-14393-0-33786600-1444078688.jpg

Then we can see the view looking back down the other way too. You can see where I have been as I haven't shut the doors and you can just make out the boiler in the distance.

post-14393-0-18821200-1444078845.jpg

The eagle eyed among you out there in RMWEB land will have noticed the small brass signs above the doors. They look like this in close up. £5 sounds like a bargain now but it must of been many monies indeed when these things were built!

post-14393-0-83925000-1444079140.jpg

Right, back to the controls. Straight ahead is the regulator handle with its notches. In order to open or close the regulator, you have to pull down on the latch, move the regulator and then let go of the latch. You can also see that it has been pined up out of use as No. 92 is attached at the moment. The vacuum gauge is also visible.

post-14393-0-49664900-1444079293.jpg

To the right of that is the bell code apparatus. Underneath is the complex wiper controls (!) and the wire for operating the whistle.

post-14393-0-45000300-1444079581.jpg

At the bottom of the driver's window is the brake handle and the chain and pin to lock it out of use.

post-14393-0-08814900-1444079811.jpg

The driver's door and tip down seat. On the wall is a holder for a flag.

post-14393-0-59312900-1444080002.jpg

Then we have the handbrake pedestal and the cover for the regulator mechanism.

post-14393-0-33585400-1444080140.jpg

Above the other end window is the traditional notice about not sticking your head out the window at the wrong time and the modern ID plate as required by main line regulations.

post-14393-0-58150400-1444080255.jpg

The fireman's side door although, if the fireman is stood here in operation, we have a problem...

post-14393-0-13452300-1444080424.jpg

Finally the little sign in the cab about not letting passengers in here! It's by order too...

post-14393-0-65563200-1444080627.jpg

The only thing better than seeing these pictures is seeing it in the flesh and having a ride in it so keep an eye on the DRC roster for her steaming dates.

That will do for tonight. More later in the week!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

....So, No. 93 then...

We will finish this vehicle off tonight and then deal with No. 92 later on.....

Highly informative for those who don't get enough time to go and see the real thing. Should also help those who are trying the Worsley Works scratch-aid etch set (me) or those who have the old Blacksmith railmotor kit for this diagram (also me).

The walkover seats are something else. Is there a video clip showing how the backs move from one side to the other?

I suppose we'll have to look out and see who might produce a kit for trailer no.92 now.....

I think I remember encountering similar seats on the Mumbles Railway, when I rode on it just before it shut. I was quite little, though, so my memories aren't that clear, though I don't think the Welsh ones had any upholstery.

£5 was a very steep fine at the time, being several weeks' wages; equally importantly, your transgression would be published in the local press for all to see.

Highly informative for those who don't get enough time to go and see the real thing. Should also help those who are trying the Worsley Works scratch-aid etch set (me) or those who have the old Blacksmith railmotor kit for this diagram (also me).

The walkover seats are something else. Is there a video clip showing how the backs move from one side to the other?

I suppose we'll have to look out and see who might produce a kit for trailer no.92 now.....

I think David Geen does a kit for the trailer

David

....small brass signs above the doors. They look like this in close up. £5 sounds like a bargain now but it must have been many monies indeed when these things were built!

According to an online inflation calculator, £5 in 1908 is the equivalent of £537.55 today.

Horse: There may be a set of etches sat at chez Castle for No. 92 all ready! Worsley works is your friend here. I knew £5 in the 1900s was a fair bit of cash but in today's market to see how a communication cord works it seems cheap!

Hi All,

I haven't forgotten No. 92 but I wasn't happy with the pictures I have so I will need to get a few more and it's been busy at Didcot recently. The latest update for all things Mk. 1 Castle is now on line here:

http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/guide/projectitems/4079project.html

You may notice a quite big change...

All the best,

Castle

EDIT: I will take a few pictures of the seats as they move for you Horse so you can see how they work.

Edited by Castle
  • Like 8

Horse: There may be a set of etches sat at chez Castle for No. 92 all ready! Worsley works is your friend here. .....

I had a look (again) at the old Blacksmith / Mallard instruction sheets for the old Railmotor kit, and - a bit like Father Fitzpatrick's copy of Humanae Vitae - it reminds me of how far we have come.

153604169-1e60c55b-e8ba-4676-a3e3-8a64c6

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Just don't follow the wiring diagram religiously, they always have mistakes in them!! :D

Hi Ric,

Cheeky! The only wiring diagram I did for the book was the one for the ATC and I'm pretty sure it's right even if it is just in a schematic sense... Cue someone saying "I think you'll find..."! The only other wiring in the loco as built was the connection between the generator on the rear driver's side wheel and the speedo but that didn't seem that interesting!

Now, the wiring we now have to fit - THAT is extensive and it has to be hidden too! Having just started the investigation into that little lot proper, I will never look at fitting a DCC chip in the same way again.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

Hi All,

"It is not the end of the end but perhaps the beginning of the end" - with apologies to Sir W. S. Churchill...

The boiler cladding is a temporary move - the boiler is not certificated as it stands right now. The cylinder cladding of course can stay on. The boiler has been worked right up to filling it with water and preparing for the hydraulic test. The current idea is to build a complete loco without a boiler certificate. This means we know exactly what we have and what we don't have and that we can make or order anything we need. We will also fit all the main line stuff at this stage and get that up to as close to a working instillation as possible. We then peel of just enough (packing it all away in an organised way with clear labelling where needed) to get the boiler out, de-clad it, test it, add lagging and re-clad and reassemble. This makes for maximum boiler life.

M.I.B. - it's exactly like that, you just need two cranes and a very big screwdriver to lift the tender body off. You should see the size of the sound chip, smoke generator and speakers...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 7

Hi All,

"It is not the end of the end but perhaps the beginning of the end" - with apologies to Sir W. S. Churchill...

The boiler cladding is a temporary move - the boiler is not certificated as it stands right now. The cylinder cladding of course can stay on. The boiler has been worked right up to filling it with water and preparing for the hydraulic test. The current idea is to build a complete loco without a boiler certificate. This means we know exactly what we have and what we don't have and that we can make or order anything we need. We will also fit all the main line stuff at this stage and get that up to as close to a working instillation as possible. We then peel of just enough (packing it all away in an organised way with clear labelling where needed) to get the boiler out, de-clad it, test it, add lagging and re-clad and reassemble. This makes for maximum boiler life.

M.I.B. - it's exactly like that, you just need two cranes and a very big screwdriver to lift the tender body off. You should see the size of the sound chip, smoke generator and speakers...

All the best,

Castle

Do you mean the middle?

A pity I was unable to see 4079 at Dampier-I pass the stock shed often enough as it is near Karratha airport.  I understand that a general overhaul was carried out whilst 4079 was in the Pilbara.  I also sailed with an engineer (Reardon Smith line) who as an apprentice tasked with working on the restoration-they were told it was to be as good as Lode Star.  

• Like 1

Hi All,

Jrg1: we are a little beyond the middle of the project but there is a little way to go as of yet. The guys in Oz did a great deal to look after No. 4079 so we got her in the best possible condition. The great boiler is entirely down to them.

Mr B: Yes - guilty as charged!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Little Didcot - Blowing off the cobwebs!

Hi All,

Well, it's been a while and it's not good enough so the Little Didcot crew have banded together to bring you a bumper festive special of four locomotives rebuilt and ready for the collections of their respective owners. The all have four cylinders, number 8 boilers and 6'8" driving wheels. That's right - Castle is finally doing Castles!

In order to do the required engines for the Little Didcot fleet, No. 4079 Pendennis Castle and No. 5051 Earl Bathurst, I need a Mk. 1 Castle in later condition (narrow front frames, Vauxhall style inside valve cover, no brass beading on cab front and tool tunnel) a Mk. 3 Castle in later condition (dished front frames, box style inside valve cover) and two Collett 4,000 gallon tenders. No. 5051 will be in lion and wheel livery and No. 4079 will be in GWR/BR intermediate condition.

What I had from the Hornby offerings are as follows:

No. 4073 Caerphilly Castle, as preserved in Great [Crest] Western livery on a 3,500 Churchward Tender. The loco is spot on for No. 4079 but the tender is very wrong for my chosen time period.

No. 5011 Tintagel Castle in Great [Crest] Western livery on a 4,000 gallon Collett tender. The tender is good for doing No. 4079s tender but the loco isn't much use as a Mk. 2 which has the dished frames and the wide version of the Vauxhall front end.

No. 5053 Earl Cairns in BR lion and wheel livery with a 4,000 gallon Hawksworth tender. The loco is spot on for No. 5051 but this loco has only pulled a Hawksworth tender for the last few months of service and in preservation so the tender is no good.

This gets me to 1 1/2 Castles I can use! Thankfully, my fellow Didcot types are also into 4mm scale Castles and the offer of me renumbering and weathering locomotive's into engines nobody else has was too tempting for them! The deal was as follows. I take the bits from the pile above that I need to accurately populate the ranks of little Didcot's fleet. This leaves a Mk. 2 Castle and an appropriately liveried 3,500 gallon Churchward Tender. My first friend said he would buy this one from me if I renumbered and named it as No. 5004 Llanstephan Castle with the more typical Garter crest on the tender as she was built. My second friend is more into the late BR period and he had a model of No. 7023 Penrice Castle coming for Christmas that has the curved cab window handrails, double chimney and mechanical lubricator with a Collett 4,000 gallon tender in late BR totem livery. That get us to enough bits to build No. 5051 and this also means that No. 7023 can become No. 7026 Taunton Castle with Hawksworth tender in late BR Totem livery.

Phew! What a tangled web we weave!

The worst bit about all this is that Hornby's wiring of electrical plugs and mechanical tender to loco connections has changed between the first and the last of the releases being used here. This means that all the engines will require re-wiring in order to get them working on DCC (something we are all standardising on) and we also want to use a firebox flicker LED as a signal that someone has control of an engine when we get round to building our layout. So, what follows over a couple of posts, is a summation of what happened to the engines and a few pictures of the finished articles.

This shows the starting state of No. 4079 which was No. 4073. This is the only early condition Castle Hornby have released so it is the only choice for an accurate model of Pendennis Castle. There is lots of polished steel represented with silver paint that simply has to go... The body of No. 4073/9 needed the most work due to all the silver paint, the new buffer beam number needed and a mistake made by Hornby...

post-14393-0-75622700-1482102556.jpeg

There were then the problems of renaming the locos. The current Hornby Castles include the centre splasher front as part of the name plate so I elected to remove the whole thing before working on it. A gentle levering with a scalpel handle soon popped them off. The second issue highlighted here was that for some reason, Hornby decided to use a running plate that had the cut outs to allow the brackets for the electrical conduit that carried the wiring to the ATC shoe on later Castles on this early machine. The trouble is that early locos like Nos. 4073 & 4079 had their ATC shoe under the cab... A little light filler and black paint soon saw to this but it wasn't the only silly mistake that Hornby have made in this model!

post-14393-0-62853900-1482102585.jpeg

The funniest mistake that they have continued to make on a variety of Castle models is the inclusion of No. 5051's TPWS box. This wasn't fitted to the real Earl Bathurst until late in her preservation career! D'oh! Further attentions of the scalpel soon saw it ping across the room, never to darken my fleet again.

post-14393-0-66571900-1482102946.jpeg

The name plate was changed by nipping the ends off the Hornby example so the slight difference in the size between it and the etched replacement wasn't noticeable. A coat of black marker to hide the shiny bits and it is good to go. The etched plate has its mounting plate removed with a fresh and sharp scalpel blade and the resultant unholy alliance is glued together!

post-14393-0-76138700-1482103332.jpeg

I used Joe's Model Trains Decal and Detail Remover to get the old buffer beam numbers off and I used Fox replacements to put the new number in place. I found that Pheonix Precision's post 1954 BR Loco Green to be the closest match to Hornby's GWR green and that, along with Vellejo's Matt black was used to touch in all the details that needed blending in.

post-14393-0-12970700-1482103556_thumb.jpeg

Fitting the number plates was a bit wierd. I'm glad I offered them up first too... For some reason, Hornby have cast rivets into the cab sides that go through the number plates! Something that isn't possible with the large brass number plates on the prototype! A little light scraping with the scalpel blade enabled the etched replacements so sit flat on the cab sides.

post-14393-0-90450700-1482103666.jpeg

The engine was disassembled and reassembled in order to receive the weathering. I used Tamiya masking tape on the inside of the cab Windows and Humbrol Maskol on the outside. All the other vital holes were plugged up with blutack and / or sticks to mount the engine on for weathering.

post-14393-0-57960900-1482103848_thumb.jpeg

I originally put the British Railways in Egyptian Serif style GWR text on the tender but it was after this I got further information. A friend at Didcot has a picture from the Colour Rail collection that shows No. 4079 during the cross over period and it turns out that she had a lined out tender with no logos or identification on it. This was too good to pass up so this has since been removed but it shows another step in the process so I have included it anyway.

post-14393-0-75183400-1482104143_thumb.jpeg

Well, that is enough for tonight. I will do another update tomorrow and further ones until I show you all the work that was done to get the 4 engines finished!

All the best,

Castle

PS: It's good to be back!

Edited by Castle
  • Like 18