• RMweb Gold

Hi Castle,

A nice read over the morning coffee! As Stefan says, that diorama is a clever bit of thinking - and modelling too. Looking at your nice detail work I'm reminded once again of all the lovely detail stuff available in the larger scales. One question though: Is that livery on the tank Stone no. 1 or Stone no. 2?  :mosking:

No. 1340 is a real delight to look at. The storage box no less - that logo on the lid is very smart! 

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

Hi Stefan & Mikkel,

Thanks for the kind comments! If you think we have problems with what colour stuff was, you haven't seen anything when you model WWI... The great thing with the Mk. IV tank is that there is one in its original paintwork:

http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Mark_IV_tank,_Lodestar_III

It's an amazing survivor and at least gives us a vague idea of what it all looked like!

For the record it's a 1:1 mix of XF - 52 and XF - 55 according to Tamiya at least...

I am just glad I could get Little Trojan finished - it became a bit of a joke between us at Didcot that she wasn't finished!

Thanks to everyone for all the likes and other buttons!

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful work as always.

Especially the Mk IV. 

My great uncle and other from his crew were taken out of his land ship in Oct 1918.  They were each given a rifle to make up the numbers in one of the many depleted American infantry companies. 

He never came Home.

Castle

Picking up on your information about Trojan reminded me that I had some photos of the restoration of the locomotive, Trojan's original boiler was in a sorry state so a donor boiler was used (I think it came from a greenhouse where is had been used for heating) to supply the inner firebox and part of the barrel, here is a shot of the barrel after the two parts had been bolted together ready for riveting: -

post-3433-0-61853800-1419935567.jpg

The barrel suspended over the pit whilst being riveted: -

post-3433-0-71931500-1419935563.jpg

The new outer firebox being put together: -

post-3433-0-08538000-1419935566.jpg

New throat-plate being fitted: -

post-3433-0-97524100-1419935574.jpg

Lastly a shot of the loco in the lifting shop at Didcot minus the boiler: -

post-3433-0-21352000-1419935562.jpg

These were taken between Sept 2000 and Jan 2001, hope they are of interest; sorry to highjack your thread with my old photos.

Edited by gz3xzf
  • Like 11

Little Didcot's Christmas Presents Part 3!

Hi All (again!),

The underground overground train?

This particular Womble is of course the 9700 Class Condensing Pannier tank 0-6-0. They were designed for a very specific job - namely working trains on the Metropolitan/Hammersmith & City lines between and Smithfield Meat Market. This meant they not only had to have special ATC gear that clipped up out of the way (think about the electrified centre rail of the Underground and then apply the ATC shoe to it...) but also had to be compatible with the LU trip cock signalling system as well. They also had to consume their own smoke so the products of the chimney were directed into the side tanks. The problem with this is that it causes the feed water in the tanks to heat up too and GWR injectors don't like hot water. This final problem was solved by the use of a weir pump mounted on the driver's side running plate. The prototype for the class was locomotive No. 8700 which was rebuilt to condenser status and re numbered to No. 9700. The subsequent ten 97XX machines were built to a slightly revised design and they all lasted right up until the end of steam but sadly none are preserved. The subject of the model was chosen as No. 9703 as this engine was pictured long after the war still in wartime black with GWR on its tanks.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_5700_Class#/image/File:Paddington_Pannier_tank_geograph-2958216-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg

Boiler Basher of this parish came to me wanting to do a model of one of these very interesting machines. A plan was hatched to use the majority of the bodywork from the ancient K's kit and the rest of the engine was to be the thoroughly modern Bachmann 8750 pannier. He has taken pictures of the build and keeps threatening to post them so I will leave you all to encourage him to do so... The finished engine required weathering so it was left with me to finish off. Having set one of the guys up by finishing off his project for him, I decided it would be great fun to set up the other one in exactly the same way and watch them sneak around each other while I sat back and watched... He he he he he!

post-14393-0-01840500-1419939589_thumb.jpg

The engine came to me with black livery and transfers on but as you know, if I see a few details missing, I can't leave well enough alone so it soon ended up with all the bits it was missing as well as a DCC chip, crew and firebox light...

post-14393-0-63476200-1419939638_thumb.jpg

Having made one box for Little Trojan I figured a second for Little No. 9703 was made identically.

post-14393-0-38163900-1419939685_thumb.jpg

post-14393-0-52220400-1419939701_thumb.jpg

Right, just the Castle story to go then!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful finish to the 97XX. 

I have a Ks one made by MIB Snr when the world was seen in black and white on two channels.  So out of respect, it and the Ks Dean, will be left and run as made, applying Rule1 of course.

Hi All,

Grange: thanks for the compliments on the 97XX - it was a joint effort between me and Boiler Basher. I am sure he will be able to oblige with a photo. As it is with him I can't help unfortunately! What we did was use the running plate & smokebox door of the 8750 and kept the rear end of the K's kit as it saved on a joint between the two bits! The odd bit of judicious filling and disguising with paint, coal and weathering did the rest...

Neil: quite right sir, the motor and gearbox that came with the kit was the power source for this one. Runs fine if everything is clean...

MIB: Quite right too! Some things must yield to the quest for uber detail and the memory of a Dad is a prime example. I am sure he would be proud that they are still running and indeed being enjoyed!

All the best,

Castle

PS: Thanks for all the likes everyone!

Edited by Castle

Some gorgeous work you put up there, I love the detailing you did for the military modelling, the gate looks absolutely cracking, and I agree the conceptional idea of in a crate somehow makes it even better. Wishing you a belated Merry Christmas and an early HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

........we received the present tho, lovely photographs, love the Trojan update too, great reference pictures. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

This next photo shows the two piston groves and the two brass pegs on the bottom of the head that prevent the rings turning on the piston. This is important as if the rings were allowed to turn, the ends would spring free when they reached the steam ports and do untold damage to both the rings and the cylinder block.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Having been brought up (and still playing with) a diet of 2 stroke engines, I really connected with 4079 when reading this, exactly the same as a 2 stroke piston and for the same reasons, albiet not steam travelling through my 11 ports per cylinder!

To cap it all, the Haynes manual really made me smile, these are what I cut my teeth on stripping engines down.

cheers

Ric

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neil,

That is great - thanks for sharing! If you need any information to help finish it off I can always take a quick snap of the lady herself for you if needed!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Hi Castle, just been reading your last post over the morning coffee. A very nicely told and illustrated read. As I was reading I wondered if anyone actually documented all this knowledge for the future, and then it turns out that is exactly what you've done! Must have been a big job to write the book, I hope you can relax a bit with some modelling now.

Hi Castle, fantastic post on the cylinder fitting.

Of great interest both for modelling purposes and showing the hard work of how you go about maintaining the real thing. Some good hats too. I look forward to reading your book.

Can we hope for further posts from the workshops of Didcot?

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Hi Castle and hope it's not too late to wish you a Happy and Constructive New Year.

Thanks for posting the latest 4079 pics. Inspired by your team's progress on Pendennis, I'm making a determined effort to get to grips with the ins and outs of working locos (which bit goes where and does what sort of thing) so I'm really looking forward to getting The Book!  Well, we both are but will wait till the launch, hoping we'll be able to get there for it.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the likes and other positive comment type button pushiing!

Hi Ric,

Thanks Ric! The Haynes manual was a great project - I hope everyone enjoys it!

Hi Mikkel,

Thanks Mikkel! That's why I have a mix of both age and experience with youth and enthusiasm on my team - keeping the skills alive! The Book has been a two year project in my spare spare time in amongst everything else - tiring times but well worth the effort to see it in print!

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the comments! The hats are a bit of a theme of mine especially although one or two others in the team have some good ones too! The one I have on came from the USA and has one or two GWR modifications on the back... One of the County gang has one with a big brass plate in the front inscribed 'GWR 2917' and we threatened to fit him with a brandy barrel round his neck (GWR geek joke - No. 2917 was Saint Bernard)!

Thanks for the support on the book - it reminds me that someone else has written a rather good one on building locos that I must buy and read at some point...

I will always try and intersperse the 4mm:1' stuff on Little Didcot with some 12":1' kits too so yes, there will be more!

Hi Polly and Ray,

Thanks for posting and the kind comments! It's never too late for a greeting from friends so the same to you all too. Steam engines are easy to understand in principle but the subtleties get quite involved! The way a copper firebox doesn't melt in the intense heat has an elegance about it doesn't it?! The launch will be in the February half term at 81E so when I have a confirmed date I will let everyone know.

All the best everyone!

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 6

Hi All,

Looks like the book launch will be on Saturday 14th February at Didcot - it would be great to see my fellow RMWEB members there if you can make it! My team will be working on No. 4079 during the day so if you want to come and have a look and ask questions about the overhaul and what we are up to then please do! Nos. 3650 and 93 should be in operation too. See you there!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3