Bath Queen Square

queensquare

• RMweb Gold

Absolutely amazing, and at 2mm too.

It was once that as we aged we moved up a scale, but you are making 2mm

really come alive.

Noel

No question about the quality. However, Queensquare himself looks distinctly young to me, so may be some way off the ageing process affecting his skills.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another gripping instalment in the glacial building of Bath - well more of a bump really to let you know that progress is being mad. The co-op siding halfway between Bath Junction and Devonshire tunnel. 

post-1074-0-82533000-1381270330_thumb.jpg

Jerry

Edit: just noticed that behind my whiskey glass is an empty wine glass - that's the result of slack tidying up on my part not a gradual slide as the evening progressed - honest!

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 11

That's more progress than I'm making, and a very fancy glass for a workbench. The contents look quite appealing too.

I suppose one of the advantages of 2mm finescale is that there's more room for a little tipple.

(Always a pleasure to see some progress on your magnum opus.)

Alan

I envisage a diversionary route from Bath to Inversnecky, to keep you supplied.  I have dark thoughts about ancient copper boilered, peat burning locos being converted into 'condensing' types by Compton Mackenzie to confuse the 'cizeman....  Tank wagons of iron banded oak.....Politicians washed up on a deserted shore.......

Five and twenty ponies,
Trotting through the dark--
Brandy for the Parson,

'Baccy for the Clerk;

Laces for a lady, letters for a spy,
And watch the wall, my darling, while the Gentlemen TRAINS go by!

'pologies to Mr Kipling- I've eaten too many of his cakes!

(However there is a certain history of 2mm layouts and Ealing Films.)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It is always nice to see progress. It looks to me like you have bits of easitrac to hold the railsat the edges of the turnouts. This is something I find very useful myself.

Don

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Will the excitement never cease.... I promise I won't post a picture of each piece of pointwork that emerges from the detritus that is my desk but this lump is quite significant as its Bath Junction. The three tracks at the left hand end are, front to back, mainline into Bath/out of Bath/line off S&D into Midland bridge yard. The reason I've not described the lines into Bath as up or down in the normal way is because they are both. Trains off the S&D went 'up' to Bath. Trains leaving Bath for the Midlands were also described as 'up'. 

post-1074-0-90690800-1383086176_thumb.jpg

Please note there are no drink glasses in view!

• Like 14

Will the excitement never cease.... I promise I won't post a picture of each piece of pointwork that emerges from the detritus that is my desk but this lump is quite significant as its Bath Junction. The three tracks at the left hand end are, front to back, mainline into Bath/out of Bath/line off S&D into Midland bridge yard. The reason I've not described the lines into Bath as up or down in the normal way is because they are both. Trains off the S&D went 'up' to Bath. Trains leaving Bath for the Midlands were also described as 'up'. 

attachicon.gifphoto (12).jpg

Please note there are no drink glasses in view!

Nice!

• RMweb Gold

Jerry,

Excellent piece of track building!  For those of us that model in silly large scales (7mm - me!!), it's mind blowing.

The box at Bath Junction must have defined one direction as down and the other as up, otherwise it would be too confusing for the staff on the ground.  I am going to put my head on the block and say that at Bath Junction, as it was a Midland box, the MR directions would apply within 'station limits' for the box. Once a train had passed onto the Bath Junction - Midford block section, it would change to the SDJR definition of Down / Up.  Perhaps Railwest Chris may care to enlighten us?

A similar problem existed at Boscarne Junction, down GWR to Wadebridge, down SR from Wadebridge (until the WR got hold of it and messed it all up!)

Thanks Paul,

I must admit I don't know the answer although I had always assumed that trains leaving Bath and heading south - S&D -  were down trains, those heading north - MR - were up and visa versa. I think trains for the S&D changing from up to down as they passed Bath Junction box might be even more confusing but you may well be correct. 

I'm sure Chris will be along soon. If you think of Bath as a through station with the SDJ and MR making an end on junction it all makes sense - its the reversal into and out of the station over the same stretch of track that causes the confusion. In modelling terms of course that's a large part of the operating appeal.

To add to the confusion in the period I'm modelling Bath Junction box was on the north of the line near the entrance to the gas works with a separate 'Bath single line junction' box a short distance up (or down!) the S&D.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Bath Green Park  to Templecombe was Down, and Mangotsfield to Bath Green Park was Down.  Between Bath Jcn and Green Park it would have been easy enough to refer to  e.g. 'a Down S&DJtR train' or 'an Up LMS train'  The difficult bit is the actual naming of the lines but it would probably depend on ownership and according to RCH records that stretch of line was owned by the LMS so in theory it would be Down from Bath Jcn to Green Park.

Chris might well be able to confirm, or deny, that conclusion.

• RMweb Gold

Dolgelley (as it was at the time) must have had a similar problem as it would have been approached by down trains from both the Cam rys and GWR. Nice bit of trackwork Jerry so long as you name them to make sense to you and any co-operators it matters little could be fun signalling!

Don

• Like 1

Such faith in me :scratchhead:

As has been said, there were many places like this, really too numerous to mention (and don't get started on triangular junctions!).

Put simply, the MR line was Down to Bath and Up to Mangotsfield. In signalling terms therefore, signals and trains between the Station and Junction boxes would be described accordingly. Conversely, once you 'turned left' at the Junction, then trains were Down to Wimborne and Up to Bath Junction and would be described accordingly on the S&D (indeed, the No 6 ETT instrument in the (later) signal-box was labelled such that trains towards Midford were 'Down'.).

Just to illustrate the confusion which may occur for the unwary historian, it was a long time of head-scratching before I discovered that at Wimborne Jcn - where the S&D and L&SWR had separate SBs rather like as at Bath pre-1923 - the same signal would be described in one box as Up and the other as Down and whenever Signalling Instructions were issued for alterations etc the SR and S&D issued their own versions with the Up and Down identities swapped around!!!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris. Just to get this clear in my head, S&D trains would have been up from the station as far as Bath Junction, becoming down trains once they were on the Midford section with the opposite coming the other way.

Jerry

By the way Jerry - having now read the early part of this thread - if you really intend to build ALL the "Bath" signal-boxes, then I'm afraid that you will have to do 5 not 4, 'cos there were three 'Bath Junction' boxes over time :O

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

By the way Jerry - having now read the early part of this thread - if you really intend to build ALL the "Bath" signal-boxes, then I'm afraid that you will have to do 5 not 4, 'cos there were three 'Bath Junction' boxes over time :O

Indeed there were and as soon as someone provides me with a picture of the first Bath Junction box I'll build it!!

I have only ever seen one picture of the second Bath Junction box and that is very much in the background of the well known shot of the 7F (80 from memory) with the indicator shelter on the front on a test train shortly after having passed over the junction for the run south. I've also only seen the one picture of the Single Line Junction box as well but with both of them being standard Midland boxes its not too difficult to work out what they were like.

Jerry

"Just to get this clear in my head, S&D trains would have been up from the station as far as Bath Junction, becoming down trains once they were on the Midford section........

Yes, from the perspective of the MR operation staff.

"...with the opposite coming the other way...."

Hopefully not at the same time in the section :O

• RMweb Gold

Unbelievable bit of track work.  It's a piece of Art more than a model! 

I agree Mike....

I'd love Jerry to stick it in a frame on a wall but the other part of me can't wait to see it installed on the layout...which is shaping up to be fab :yes:

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have now updated my website with exhibition dates for Tucking Mill, Highbury and Wenfordbridge/Wadebridge for 2014. I will be adding photos of Tucking Mill over the next few days and hope to find time for a number of other updates over Christmas - including some shots of progress on Bath.

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I have now updated my website with exhibition dates for Tucking Mill, Highbury and Wenfordbridge/Wadebridge for 2014. I will be adding photos of Tucking Mill over the next few days and hope to find time for a number of other updates over Christmas - including some shots of progress on Bath.

Jerry

That's a nice list Jerry - Tucking Mill at three of the shows on my 'regulars' list, Highbury on one, and Wenford/Wadebridge on another, very good of you thanks  :sungum: