Stewarts Lane 'Electric Loco. Shed'

Shedmaster

Good Afternoon,

Welcome to the re-launch of my project, formerly known as 'Battersea Stewarts Lane, London.....Home Of The Class 60'.

I have taken the opportunity to go right back to the drawing board and look at doing the project in a better way altogether, an idea formed by looking at the 'architechtural modelling' arena and thinking that this would suit me better, in terms of the size of the layout and the availability of technical data that means there is no excuse to not do it properly from scratch.

I have gone for the 'Clean Sheet of Paper' approach and a new topic, purposely to supersede the original work and the historic remnants from the original Manor Lane, concentrating here on the new approach.

Because of the level of detail and accuracy that I want to achieve, I would like to move forward by concentrating on the main building on the site and doing it in such a way that everything is 'designed in' from the floor upwards.......including the working roller shutter doors.

There is a lot of work taking place at the moment behind the scenes, working from various research drawings and CAD files and as soon as work begins again, I will post some stuff here.

Hopefully, one day, our 'Traction & Rolling Stock' fleet will actually have that new home.......and a decent Class 71 and 73 will by then have joined the ranks.

Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Like 1

Hiya,

I'm thinking positive here.......and so would definately have to say no.

I can look back and say I've learnt plenty along the way and gained plenty of new friends, who have been more than helpful.......I hope I have been of some help to them in return.

Lots of new technical information has recently come to light ( that was not available to York Modelmaking at the time ) and I feel that I can do a more accurate job now.......as I'm trying to make a model of a real thing, I feel that I should be using that info. properly and scaling it down properly, into the model that I want to achieve, using a more intelligent approach.

The floor should have been designed in from the start of the project and for that matter the working doors as well....but like I said, I've learnt plenty along the way.

Shed.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Evening folks,

It's been a while since writing, but tonight I have reached a stage where I feel I have something worthwhile to post.......

There is a whole load of stock sitting in boxes here waiting for a home, and so here we go again.

After accessing and copying the official floor plan for the Electric loco. Shed, ( with all relevant permissions ) a very good friend translated this into a working 4mm drawing AND laser cutting file.....

post-7088-0-23529600-1336340165.jpg

This was sent to a laser cutting company and two pieces were produced for me, a FOUNDATION and a BASE.

We won't be indulging in Peco pits for THIS attempt, but using the floor pieces themselves to make them.

I was also very fortunate to notice some VERY high quality baseboards become available, that would be perfect for the new version of the project. I jumped at these like a rabied dog, knowing that they would be truly square and level, and then converted them for my use, that is to say I made them into one 4ft x 30inch and one 8ft x 30inch configuration, to make a portable 12ft x 30inch overall size.

I topped these with a 9mm Plywood sheet, itself topped with a 9mm MDF sheet.

post-7088-0-24097500-1336340100.jpg

I had the foundation made out of 9mm MDF and the base made out of 3mm MDF, which gives me 3ft deep pits, although the real ones are actually slightly deeper.

After buying and teaching myself how to use a router, I took out a rectangle panel of the 9mm MDF in the position where the building would sit.

After water sealing this cut out with watered down PVA sealer, I primed it and then popped in the 9mm foundation piece.......securing it with THIRTY SIX screws !!!

Because the 9mm plywood baseboard tops are sitting perfectly flat on the baseboard frames, this causes the 9mm MDF to sit perfectly flat also.

The 3mm MDF base will sit on top of this and again, will be perfectly flat.

The girders that form the building will sit in the rectangular holes shown and will have the first 12mm anchored under the floor !

post-7088-0-34041800-1336340070.jpg

post-7088-0-74595300-1336340087.jpg

post-7088-0-95099100-1336340110.jpg

post-7088-0-13065700-1336340120.jpg

The piece in these pictures is the FOUNDATION, the base is not shown.

De-classified from our 'Top Link' pool, 73 101 is now relegated to measurement proving work. It's replacement has been ordered Thankyou Mr Dapol.......

The Loco. is pictured on what is known as the 'stub road', and it is a very flexible location because it can be adjusted for length by the shed staff to accommodate whatever they are working on. The rails finish at the end of the row of holes to the right of the pit, not at the 'actual' end of the pit, this is how you can fit any length of Loco. in this road, with some of it overhanging the end of the pit and is, for example, where 'Clan Line' sits when undergoing rebuilding work.

post-7088-0-77382000-1336340142.jpg

post-7088-0-58215800-1336340150.jpg

post-7088-0-92579600-1336340157.jpg

The trackplan is currently planned as being this, but tommorrow I might have a better idea.......

post-7088-0-48711300-1336340173.jpg

Thats all for now,

Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Like 2

Hi,

Just a few trial and error pics tonight,

This is the 3mm BASE sitting in position on top of the FOUNDATION :

post-7088-0-65953900-1336425660.jpg

The side walls of the building will butt up to the edge of this piece and between the vertical girders.

Next up is how the rails will be fitted, using exactoscale and C&L components, literally sited either side of the pit opening :

post-7088-0-74728500-1336425885.jpg

The way the pits are now made, enables me to line the sides with the correct brickwork sheet as required :

post-7088-0-73330600-1336426091.jpg

The issue of the ramp at the 'London End' of the shed still has to be solved........but I think it's doable now.

Regards,

Shed.

Shed

It looks a big improvement and easier construction over the previous version, it look like there is still a long way to go though.

Very Nice

Pete

Hi Pete,

Many Thanks.

I'm much happier with it now as I am working towards an actual plan, literally from the foundations upwards !

There is definately a long way to go, I can't wait to get building the girder work, but I see it more of a 'kit build' now than an approximation.

It's a bit of a pain with the research here though..........I've counted 1283 detailed photo's of the place in my collection !

Digital camera's eh ?

Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster

Hiya,

Thanks for your comments, it's good to be back with something of a more positive outlook for the project.

There are only so many times you can chase round in circles before realising your doing something wrong !

I'm now working on an engineered solution for the ramp at the London End and want this to be right as it is fundamental to the project. Hopefully, when this is cracked I can get the floor painted and then start on the main framework for the building, internal walls and overhead gantry cranes.

This is one of the resident vehicles relying on this project to succeed :

post-7088-0-08038000-1336510268.jpg

post-7088-0-83682700-1336510284.jpg

I'm really hoping it will have somewhere great to live one day !

Shed.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning,

Just got in from the layout.....at half past midnight and thought I'd squeeze in a quick update.

A package arrived here today with a number of laser cut, top floor segments...

post-7088-0-09993300-1338508297.jpg

These form the top level of the shed floor at the front of the building and have caused major headaches to get right...

post-7088-0-23415900-1338508356.jpg

The '1', '2' and '3' relate to where the tracks pass through this part of the floor, better shown as...

post-7088-0-58357200-1338508493.jpg

or

post-7088-0-84335200-1338508535.jpg

The ramp you can see here, exists for things such as forklift trucks and wheeled barrows etc to pass between roads within the shed.

The prototype ramps is a very shallow affair and this is what I'm trying to recreate properly...

post-7088-0-02406200-1338508851.jpg

I'm liking progress so far as I seem to have managed a uniform ramp that is smooth too...

post-7088-0-77965400-1338508945.jpg

When this is finally signed off, I'm hoping to look at getting some painting done !

Thats all for now,

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 7

Dave

The floor looks great the ramp looks most convincing let’s just hope the floor sections are not too thick and the tops sit above the rail head, though being MDF they can go through an electric plane to be thinned.

Pete

Thanks Peter,

Despite all the accuracy going into this, I can't say exactly how the rails will sit yet until I get the chairs into stock and check it out.

I'm not too concerned though as I do have options, which I'll be looking at later, including trimming to accommodate.

I really want to see some primer on these soon to show up the faults so I can make them right/finish off...........but I won't be rushing to do this !

Incidentally.........I'm sure I got in at 00:30 last night but the post went on at 00:05 ?

Regards,

Shed.

Hi. Diassapointed to hear you're not continuing with the old layout. I was enjoying keeping an eye on that. Let's hope this one works out well for you. Looking good so far!

Hi vac_basher,

Thanks for checking in, however, no need for dissapointment as it is still the same project.

I'm still making a 4mm scale model of Stewarts Lane, but am concentrating on the Electric Loco Shed. part of it as an 'Architechtural Model', where one side of it is 'open' and you can see the detailed interior, very much like 'Worcester Road', which inspired me to think again.

There is also still planning consent to build the smaller C&W shed next door eventually, but I'm still yet to get the official drawing for that !

Regards,

Shed.

* edited to correct Vac_Basher to vac_basher

Edited by Shedmaster

• 3 months later...

Good evening,

Just a note to let you know I'll be making an appearance at Scaleforum, Leatherhead this coming weekend, as the wife and kids have allowed daddy out !!!

I'll be dusting the cobwebs off of some the fleet and will have 'at least' the following on display.........

• EWS 47 790 + 2 x EWS 'QSA' Translator Coaches
  • Mainline Freight 37 709
  • VSOE Pullman Car 'MONA' in current dilapidated condition
  • VSOE Mk1 Baggage Car 9, #99538
  • VSOE Mk2 brake coach #9502
  • VSOE Pullman Car 'VERA'
  • VSOE Pullman Car 'MINERVA'
  • VSOE/EWS Generator Coach #6313 in EWS Livery
  • Stewarts Lane 'Acid Wagon' #083405
  • Stewarts Lane 'Sturgeon Wagon' #994900
  • 35028 'Clan Line' & Mk2 Support Coach #17096 NOT YET RELEASED FROM WORKS

If there are any particular things you'd like me to bring along, then please advise..............not all the good stuff went for sale !

This will be a 'guest appearance' with '43179' of this forum...............

Hope to see you there !

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Edited by Shedmaster
  • Like 2

Hi All,

Good evening,

Just a quick post to say Thankyou to all those who stopped by to say hello at the Scaleforum show, today and yesterday. I had a great two days helping out on 'Laira' and it was a pleasure to meet new people and see some known faces !

I was able to 'pitch tent' and show off some stock for the forthcoming layout.....

post-7088-0-40199700-1349038620.jpg

post-7088-0-52207600-1349038644.jpg

One of the Stew. Lane 'Fastrols' was also in attendance, demonstrating the loading ramps........

post-7088-0-70163900-1349038658.jpg

post-7088-0-59913100-1349038673.jpg

Our RES 47 768 and Intercity 47 844 were also out and about elsewhere, at Plymouth Laira, providing some 'alternative colour'............just to break up the NSE monopoly !

post-7088-0-78550700-1349038631.jpg

Seriously........it was a pleasure to be involved with such quality 50' action........

post-7088-0-54274300-1349038743.jpg

Hope you all had as much fun as I did.........

Regards,

Shed.

• Like 4

It looks like you had a good couple of days nice one Shed.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Lovely to hear from you, hope you are well ?

Had a very good couple of days at Leatherhead thanks............however, it's the next 365 that are gonna be interesting, as I need to knuckle down and crack on with this now............ ;)

If there's anything I can say I brought away from the show in large sackfuls........it was inspiration to keep going !

Shed.

Good Morning !

After a long time away from doing any modelling, as I've not been particularly focussed in this area, I'm pleased to have something to show......

This is the finished ramp shape that has been holding things up:

post-7088-0-87052100-1349341528.jpg

The difficulty in getting this right has been a challenge for me but, finally it is done. I've also klearnt a trick or two from the recent Scalefour show at Leatherhead and have employed this here.

Looking 'into' the shed, you can see the front of the concrete apron that runs accross the three main doors.

The girder siting holes that you can see, denote where the front of the building will be :

post-7088-0-75274600-1349341740.jpg

Looking down from the sky, the flangeway is purposely huge, as we will be running all sorts of '00' stock here :

post-7088-0-02211800-1349341712.jpg

Looking 'out' and through the shed doors, the ramp is to enable things such as forklift trucks to access all three roads :

post-7088-0-87561300-1349341791.jpg

Now........must walk away while I'm ahead.............. :imsohappy:

• Like 4

Very nice they look too Shed, have you tried a carriage over them so that the wheels run on the rails rather than the MDF either side?

Pete

Hi Peter,

Glad you like the look, it is of course thanks to YOUR assistance that this was possible for me, Thankyou.

I have been really careful to make sure that the rails sit in the proper position here and have indeed tested a few different wheelsets for clearances. In fact, the only 'cheat' was to not fit proper check rails in the four foot. I was looking at a certain P4 layout at the weekend and feel that if it works for him, it can work for me too !

The rails sit about 1mm higher than any floor surface and this is to aid track cleaning as well as fault free wheel clearance.........even my Lima 59/2's will get in and out of here without grief !

The first coat of Tamiya TS59 'Pink' has now been applied to the overall floor, and when this has dried and been accepted as okay, I can start masking up for the white pit borders and yellow lines........

.....Blimey, at this rate of progress, I might get some track down before that new Dapol 73 arrives !

Shed.

Good Morning,

Talking of testing coaches over the floor ramps in an earlier post, reminded me of having some pictures of one of the fleet which we have been able to model here at 'The Lane'......

The prototype Mk2 #9502 is seen here at it's home depot :

post-7088-0-12121700-1349605414_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-36286100-1349605486_thumb.jpg

post-7088-0-86001900-1349605593.jpg

Our rendition of Mk2 #9502 is seen awaiting the rails to be laid at it's home depot :

post-7088-0-67420500-1349605430.jpg

post-7088-0-39925100-1349605444.jpg

Our coach uses the Hornby Mk2 Brake as a donor model, which has been heavily modified to include Shawplan 'LaserGlaze' windows and frames, various end and bodyside details such as handrails and a full repaint as per the real P.O livery. The underframe has also been heavily modified to the extent that it is virtually scratchbuilt !!!

The only thing left to correct is the 'Air-Con' fan unit ( change double fan to single ) and replace the associated parts with more detailed, accurate fittings.

The usual disclaimer applies in that I did not complete any of the works on the model, this was done by somebody who actually knows what they're talking about......lol

Hope you like.....

Shed.

• Like 4