Farish announce Merchant Navy

Andy Y

Email from Hattons. East Asiatic Company. Order processed £135.96 plus £4 postage. Guaranteed pre-order price was £127.46.

Last time the price exceeded the pre-order price Hattons telephoned me and offered to refund the postage so that their price did not exceed that of Rails of Sheffield and my local model shop. Unfortunately they did not credit my account with the sum of £4 they had promised.

I kept my order for the Merchant Navy as my nearest model shop does not sell N gauge items.

post-17621-0-62162900-1433841751_thumb.jpg

I`d forgotten i`d pre ordred this model,the Holland Africa line & it arrived in the post yesterday from Hattons.I havn`t taken it out of the box yet but at first look,it`s a little beauty,a vast improvement on the original Farish model.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

It looks tome as though the front bogie is either too far forwards, or the wheelbase is too long. Any thoughts?

Ed

Ed

Whether it looks wrong to you or not I can confirm, having measured it that the model is correct in both dimensions. It might just be the effect of the N Gauge wheels, or the angle of view of the pictures you are looking at that give you such an effect.

Last night I ran in East Asiatic Company for half an hour on the Purbeck Model Railway Group's test track at the Stables, Godlingston Manor, Swanage. The engine ran smoothly on the test track with 3rd and 4th radius curves and through the set track points and crossing. No derailments, no stalling. Bliss!

post-17621-0-30899900-1434352912_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-00816600-1434352950_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-98979300-1434352988_thumb.jpg

If I understand correctly the express blue was a very short-lived livery introduced soon after nationalisation. As such what livery coaching stock would be most appropriate for the Merchant Navy? Pullman coaches are eternally suitable, but what about less glamourous stock, Maunsells, Bulleids or even Mk1s?

My Express Blue Merchant Navy has just arrived and after running it in it will need to be put to work. The shade of blue is well captured in the photos above, much better than the Farish website shots. I am very pleased with mine.

Crimson and cream would probably be fairly common. The MNs were top-link locos and would probably have got stock in the newest livery where possible. Having said that, I am sure there was still some malachite and even olive stock around.

Iv`e just got round to fitting the cylinder drain cock mouldings.They may be ok for a static model but they foul the front bogie even on Peco large radius points.It`s a great shame as it`s a beautiful model.Oh well!!!.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

'Clan Line' arrived this morning, and to be honest there isn't a lot I can say about the model that hasn't already been said when it comes to recent Farish releases. Excellent detail, excellent finish and excellent running right from the box. A few niggles here and there, perhaps the largest being that part of the N of Clan has rubbed off from the name plate on one side and the slightly wide gap between engine & tender, but really thats about it.

Perhaps the biggest plus point on this release, for me personally, NO TRACTION TYRES! Hurrah! I know these are a subjective issue, with some favouring the increased pulling power they can add, but i'm not a fan and see them only as a method of spreading filth and muck around just as fast as you can clean the rails, so I'm very happy they are nowhere to be seen.

To avoid wheeling out the usual superlatives, I'll let a few photos do the talking. I've left them as close to full size as the 1MB limit will allow to show 'warts n all' because I think N Gauge models these days can stand to it.

post-1467-0-29265800-1435400490_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-73913300-1435401233_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-84300300-1435401675_thumb.jpg

post-1467-0-37977700-1435401970_thumb.jpg

* Edited just to add, that it shares the same pick up bearing method as the previous recent releases, so should easily be convertible to 2mm FS using the association replacement bearings.

Tom.

• RMweb Premium

Surely these great MNs will evolve into a rebuilt version one day. Apart from a new body, cylinders and valve gear, I'd like to know if there are any major engineering problems that would prevent a reasonably early development. Maybe an announcement to coincide with 'Clan Line's return to steam? How about it Bachmann? Apologies for frothing!

• RMweb Gold

Having had a quick look under the hood, I think the only things useable for a rebuilt version would be the wheels. Farish chassis these days tend to be bespoke to each particular model.

That said, I'd love a rebuilt version too! Plenty still around both on the mainline and on preserved lines so it has a broader market than the original version I'd have thought.

Tom.

Finally received Clan Line today - a truly, absolutely wonderful model!  Well done GF.   Pride of my fleet.

The most minor of gripes - Is it just me or is the metal coal load unusually shiny?  Not at all obvious from the various review images and Tom E's excellent pics above. Thankfully it tumbles out very easily for replacement with real coal.   

Would like to add my voice to the growing clamour for the rebuilds - one would imagine it's a no brainer, even if many of the components could not be reused.

Now all we need is for Farish to produce CC1 + 2 & 20003,  Dapol to do Leader and then patiently wait for the venerable Dave Jones' inevitable announcement of a Tavern Car set.

Oh ... and the double deckers ... maybe Arnold could do those.

Very pleased with mine. Thankfully it was cheaper than the normal selling price which seems very high to me for a loco that is fairly basic. I suppose the brake rigging make it more of a challenge for the manufacturer. I have the early BR blue version and it runs perfectly so far even at slow speeds and pulls well without the need for traction tyres.

With no traction tyres and a 'boxy' type shape, is it safe to assume there is a lot more metal under the body to raise the weight and give enough adhesion?

Cheers,

Alan

Yes Alan - plenty of weight and it does cope with a reasonable load.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

I've had 10 'new' Farish Mk.1s, a Bulleid brake and a LMS Inspection Saloon behind mine and it hauled them with no sign of any slippage at all. 

Tom. 

I've had 10 'new' Farish Mk.1s, a Bulleid brake and a LMS Inspection Saloon behind mine and it hauled them with no sign of any slippage at all. 

Have you had the 'lid off' and had a look at the mechanism perchance? Idle curiosity as to what it's like on my part....!

Cheers,

Alan

• RMweb Gold

Have you had the 'lid off' and had a look at the mechanism perchance? Idle curiosity as to what it's like on my part....!

Cheers,

Alan

I Haven't yet Alan, but if I get chance this weekend I'll take a peak under the body and grab a couple of photos. 

Tom. 

Archived