Farish announce BR Mark 2A coaches

Andy Y

• 6 months later...

Hi Hattons have emailed to empty more money from the account ! MK 2 coaches order processed today so hopefully postie will do the honours in next few days.

Robert

Hattons called me too for 7 of the Mk2a's, plus they hit me with the Dapol Class 22 arriving as well. Phew what an expensive week!!!

Well they're here! I ordered one of each type from the well known shop in Liverpool on Thursday evening, and the postman just dropped them off. Initial impressions very good - they certainly capture the feel of the early Mk2s, and the paintjob is superb. The underframe equipment and pipes (especially on the brake) are especially fine, reminiscent of the detail on the recent Farish DMUs. They'll look even better with some subtle weathering around the underframes, ends, and in the door recesses etc.

post-3740-0-81853500-1370683899_thumb.jpg

post-3740-0-51375900-1370683977_thumb.jpg

However, one or two things I've noticed:

• Glazing appears good when viewed head on, but takes on quite a prismatic look when looked down on (which in N gauge will be quite often
  • Bogies appear well defined, but on closer inspection they have a bit of a bow up towards the end, like a Dapol Mk3, and the brake blocks have no attempt at making them look set back behind the rest of the bogie frame
  • On my TSO one item of underframe equipment (I think its a compressor) hasn't been glued in well at all, and hangs off on its support lugs at a funny angle. Easy to correct, but avoidable. (sorry no, picture, only saw as I was putting it away)

Nonetheless, very happy with them, and looking forward to other liveries! (eventually).

Justin

Postie just been and I couldnt resist a few posed shots as have been waiting for these for eons and their arrival is all my 1980's trans-pennine prayers answered (well almost!) - sorry for poor picture quality, but they look beautiful in the flesh and watching them running behind a peak is just bliss and pure nostalgia!

post-521-0-89180900-1370685329_thumb.jpg

post-521-0-35578400-1370685353_thumb.jpg

post-521-0-55027300-1370685383_thumb.jpg

Postie just been and I couldnt resist a few posed shots as have been waiting for these for eons and their arrival is all my 1980's trans-pennine prayers answered (well almost!) - sorry for poor picture quality, but they look beautiful in the flesh and watching them running behind a peak is just bliss and pure nostalgia!

attachicon.gifMK23.JPG

attachicon.gifMK21.JPG

attachicon.gifMK22.JPG

I like the look but it really needs to be a 45 to supply air brakes and electric heating. Lovely layout too.  You just need a Trans Pennine DMU now!.

Peter

Thanks for sharing your pics, they look awsome.

I would like to have a rake of 6 of these. But I have not got a clue on what ones I need.

Any info or help please

I like the look but it really needs to be a 45 to supply air brakes and electric heating. Lovely layout too.  You just need a Trans Pennine DMU now!.

Peter

Thanks Peter - yeah its a 46 pretending to be a 45!! Dont own a BR Blue class 45, but one day I may get around to doing some conversion and/or respraying - and you read my mind - Trans-Pennine DMU would be just the ticket!! Still, these MK2's will keep me very happy for the time being!!

Thanks for sharing your pics, they look awsome.

I would like to have a rake of 6 of these. But I have not got a clue on what ones I need.

Any info or help please

For a 6 vehicle rake try 1xFK, 1xBSO, 4xTSO or 1xFK, 2xBSO, 3xTSO

Also GF have managed to chose the shortest lived BSO! 9430 was cut up in 1971 - anybody know why? was it in the Manor's accident 30/6/71?

For me too please and maroon, including the maroon prototype with the grey roof colour down the sides ....

Gerry

All Green and Maroon FKs were the first batch of Mk2Z whereas the model is a Mk2A. The differences, particularly with the prototype, are readily noticeable.

All Green and Maroon FKs were the first batch of Mk2Z whereas the model is a Mk2A. The differences, particularly with the prototype, are readily noticeable.

Apart from the window vents already mentioned (opportunity for an aftermarket supplier?) what are the visual differences and do they apply to all Mk2z or just the early ones?  I thought the ones Bachmann released in 00 were the same bodyshell.  The Mk2z were vacuum braked like Mk1 stock, so although they look similar their use would have been quite different. 

Apart from the window vents already mentioned (opportunity for an aftermarket supplier?) what are the visual differences and do they apply to all Mk2z or just the early ones?  I thought the ones Bachmann released in 00 were the same bodyshell.  The Mk2z were vacuum braked like Mk1 stock, so although they look similar their use would have been quite different.

I think by definition all MK2z's are "early" :) The 2a's were the reaction to changes needed from the early production run. The gangways are different on a 2z compared to a 2a, which is the difference I can readily remember, but there are others (the presence of air braking equipment being one).

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've seen these in my local shop and I'm very impressed. My local shop has sold out of TSOs as well!

Indeed it has got me thinking about 4x TSO + 1x BSO + 47/4 to model Transpennine loco haul services at the very end in 1991  :scratchhead:

A huge vote of thanks from N-Gauge Glasgow Queen Street for these

The Bashing-Blue era as it must be known can now be accurately captured in 2mm

Another Glasgow Queen Street in N gauge?

If you have photos / website, can you send me details?

I am just about to place an intial order of Mark 2A coaches for my layout

The TSO and BSO is easy enough

However, the FK presents an issue, although EC (Craigentinny) had two from 1988 onwards

Inverness had some FK, later converted to CK, but they are the later Mark 2C

As mentioned, this just leaves the BFK

It would be a shame to have to purchase a BSO and FK in order to create a BFK

Equally, I hope gaining access to the interior is easier on these models than the Mark 1 coaches

Good to see these arrive. I too would like a green FK - WCRC have one, usually at Southall, but it seldom gets marshalled into a train because promoters don't really like using it.

I had been considering proposing a Maroon BSO (probably living with the vent and interior discrepancies) to represent one of 5305LA's BFK support coaches, but the locos have hit a lean year and now might not be a ripe time for trying to find the finance...

I have just received 2 of these new Mark 2a coaches from Hattons, and they are nice models.

I have a query about the ride height and roof profiles.

They sit somewhat lower than both the old Poole Farish Mark 2 A/C coaches and the current Bachman/ Farish Mark 1s

Not very familiar with them in the flesh as I live in New Zealand, but photos I have seen in the past of them in the same train as Mark 1s would have made me think the roof heights off the rail would have been about the same.

Have Bachman got it wrong or have I not been observant enough?

Archived