Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best looking locomotive

steam: I think the Castle looks classiest. I'm a bit of a GWR fan as well I'm afraid, and rarely salivate over non-GWR locos, although I do like the majesty of the Britannia.

diesel: I've always had a soft spot for the Class 47, but never had one. my layout is based on mid-late 50s, but I might be able to squeeze a cheeky flash-forward to early 60s BR Green. :)

• Like 3

Guest CPRAIL3000

Favourite UK locos

Diesel - Northern Ireland Railways 111 class http://www.flickr.com/photos/nirailfan/4923677853/in/set-72157622108810474

Steam - NIR / UTA 2-6-4 Jeeps http://www.flickr.com/photos/nirailfan/5994963739/in/set-72157622108810474/

A lot of people forget that this class of engine where the last Steam Locomotives to run on the mainline in the UK.

• RMweb Premium

Best looking loco? Hmmmm....

What sends my heart pounding?

King Arthurs and Schools

Spam Cans

Britannia

Black 5

LMS streamliner 'Duchess of Hamilton' right down to the art deco lamp casing

to name a few.

Then there's the toss up between the LSWR's Beattie Well Tank, Class 3700 'City' class and Wainwright C in preserved livery

And, for the all-in-one with passengers, is the steam railmotor

But my overall steam winner, as I've got quite fond of it, is GWR's 14xx. It brings out the Ivor the Engine in me

EDIT

DIESELS

Southern Turbostar

EMUs

Pendolino (just love coming into Euston and being swallowed up in a sea of red and yellow)

Closely followed by Electrostar in Southern livery

Edited by southern42
  • Like 1

Favourite UK locos

Diesel - Northern Ireland Railways 111 class http://www.flickr.co...157622108810474

Steam - NIR / UTA 2-6-4 Jeeps http://www.flickr.co...57622108810474/

A lot of people forget that this class of engine where the last Steam Locomotives to run on the mainline in the UK.

Loved the shots of the class 111 and 112 great styling for a diesel. wasn't the 2-6-4 based of a LMS design?

So far only one vote for the Billington L class tanks?!

Now this is a good looking locomotive...

http://www.semgonlin...s(lbsc)_01.html

I thought I'd replied to this thread earlier saying +1 to the original suggestion... :scratchhead:

I'd like to put in my vote for the Class 73 in the 'Modern Image' (Electric/Diesel) category. Plain and boxy but beautiful in in its all-round flexibility and functionality...

** Edited to correct the link in the OP quote **

Edited by talisman56

wasn't the 2-6-4 based of a LMS design?

The WL class was originally built for the LMS's NCC subsidiary at Derby and while their appearance closely resembled and they shared many components with the contemporary Fairburn version of the LMS 2-6-4T, they were as much derived from the earlier W class Moguls particularly the wheels and boiler. The main differences to the Fairburn 2-6-4s were 72in driving wheels vs 69in on the Fairburn, the parallel boiler from the W, and that they were 6in wider (taking advantage of the wider track and loading gauge) to increase water capacity.

• RMweb Gold

As already mentioned Castle hits the spot

But Jubilee (AKA 3 cylinder Castle), and Standard 5/4 also hit the spot

Common theme? Classical medium sided 4-6-0 - propotions just right!

Phil

• Like 2

The WL class was originally built for the LMS's NCC subsidiary at Derby and while their appearance closely resembled and they shared many components with the contemporary Fairburn version of the LMS 2-6-4T, they were as much derived from the earlier W class Moguls particularly the wheels and boiler. The main differences to the Fairburn 2-6-4s were 72in driving wheels vs 69in on the Fairburn, the parallel boiler from the W, and that they were 6in wider (taking advantage of the wider track and loading gauge) to increase water capacity.

Thank you PDL for your reply, really interesting.

I won't mention any examples, but, if beauty is in the eye of the beholder, some people seem to have optical systems different from mine... :rolleyes:

I can say with my hand on my heart my Eyesight is fine

Kind regards

Mr Magoo. :beee:

• Like 1

For me it's the GWR Armstrong Class (a close-run thing with some of Johnson's work though). Pity it was ruined later with a Belpaire boiler.

post-16579-0-74919600-1350481841.jpg

When it comes to locomotives from the GWR similar to this, every one thinks of the Churchward "City" Class, (as in of course "City of Truro") which were actually rebuilds of the Dean "Atbara" class locomotive, so it's most refreshing to see a locomotive designed by Dean in it's original form, especially considering that the four "Armstrong" class locomotives built were in fact prototypes for the later designs such as the "Atbara". As far as I can recall from the books I have read into the history of the GWR, 16 "Brunel" became a member of the "Flower" Class locomotives in 1915, which of course means it did indeed receive a Belpaire boiler as part of it's rebuild.

I've elected to offer steam, diesel and electric, and in British and non-British forms...and not a copper-capped chimney in sight...

British steam - any of the Riddles Standard classes.

British diesel - the Westerns followed closely by the Warships. Made a good sound, too.

British electric - AL5 class

Non-British steam - Chapelon 242A1 - style with power and efficiency. Nothing could touch her.

Non-British diesel - Voith Gravita - especially in its 15BB version.

Non - British electric - SBB Re460 series. Now that's how to streamline an electric.

• RMweb Premium

I happen to share you views. Now could I please get your name and address, the hours when you will be alone, Do you happen to live near any tall lamp posts or trees? :jester:

You won't find me, I will be invisible

I've elected to offer steam, diesel and electric, and in British and non-British forms...and not a copper-capped chimney in sight...

British steam - any of the Riddles Standard classes.

Evening Star?

I'll get my coat...

All the best,

Castle

Evening Star?

I'll get my coat..

Dammit, I knew someone was going to catch me out on that. Joking aside, it was nice touch and maybe even a final act of defiance by the GWR.

Dammit, I knew someone was going to catch me out on that. Joking aside, it was nice touch and maybe even a final act of defiance by the GWR.

Hi David,

Sorry mate - I just couldn't resist it! She does look very nice in that livery doesn't she? It is remarkable that a livery that in essence (although not detail) that was as old as it was even when it it was applied to the 9F still 'worked' on a modern machine after all that time. It was even pretty successful on FGW's Pendennis Castle namesake No. 57604 where a lot of effort and attention to detail was expended getting it right. I guess it is just one of those classic looks!

I wonder how much liveries play a part in our perception of 'the most beautiful loco'? Would the A4s have had such appeal if that lovely swoosh in the paint at the front end was never done or indeed if it were not perpetuated by BR? Think of how a streamlined Duchess (another great art deco 1930's icon) looked not nearly as impressive in plain wartime black. Still nice but not a patch on the way 'Hamilton' looks at the moment in the NRM collection. How striking were the Western Hydraulics were in their sand and maroon liveries and balance this against how the rail blue made them look. I am not saying that either is right or wrong but it must be a factor. Are there engines out there that miss the list as a result of the paint job or are we all a bit more into the engineering?

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1