Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best looking locomotive

• RMweb Gold

...and then there is the C38 Class 4-6-2 Pacific (Streamlined version, 3801-3805) of the New South Wales Government Railways. This is the loco (3801) that paraded around Australia with the Flying Scotsman, when it visited down under for our bi-centenery celebrations...

Cheers, Gary.

Smashing looking things - I doubt I'll ever forget coming across a totally unexpected 3801 on a railtour at Central one Saturday morning, a wonderful sight if you've only ever seen a picture of them.

• Like 1

I agree that 3801 is certainly a looker, particuarly in Green/Gold or 'Grey Nurse' livery. It was nice that when 3801 limited's lease on her was running out that she was painted in all the colours she wore during service.

The best memory I have of 3801 is from 2005. To head down to the Thirlmere festival of steam, the organizers had a race (it was called a parallel run in the schedule, but was clearly a race) between 3801, 3830 and 3112. I happened to find myself behind 3830 for this trip. As we raced through southern Sydney, I remember looking across at 3801 and thinking that that is one of the nicesy locomotives I have ever seen.

Hopefully it won't be to long before the sound of this glorious locomotive is heard again, so long as DB Meiningen get the boiler measurements right this time around!

• Like 1

I agree that 3801 is certainly a looker, particuarly in Green/Gold or 'Grey Nurse' livery. It was nice that when 3801 limited's lease on her was running out that she was painted in all the colours she wore during service.

The best memory I have of 3801 is from 2005. To head down to the Thirlmere festival of steam, the organizers had a race (it was called a parallel run in the schedule, but was clearly a race) between 3801, 3830 and 3112. I happened to find myself behind 3830 for this trip. As we raced through southern Sydney, I remember looking across at 3801 and thinking that that is one of the nicesy locomotives I have ever seen.

Hopefully it won't be to long before the sound of this glorious locomotive is heard again, so long as DB Meiningen get the boiler measurements right this time around!

Not wrong about DB Meiningen ! I can tell you I was saddened by the sight of 3801 when I visited Thirlmere a few years ago. To see her in a state of despair was a shock. Hopefully we will hear that wonderful whistle once again in the not to distant futurer. I'm looking foward to the day I can take my son up onto the footplate of 3801. Just a pity the Heritage Express (Rail Transport Museum) website has not updated any information on 3801...

Cheers, Gary

• Like 1

By the sound of it DB Meiningen are not doing so well with boilers, Tornado most of the firebox stays having to be replaced. The boiler for 3801 being about 4" out of true along the centre line, so if the firebox was fitted the smokebox would not sit on the saddle, or if you fitted the smokebox to the saddle the firebox would not fit the frames.

What is going on with their Q.C.?

OzzyO.

By the sound of it DB Meiningen are not doing so well with boilers, Tornado most of the firebox stays having to be replaced.

Technically that is down to the original design of the boiler. Tornado's Communication Chord over that period explained the defects and rectification of said defects rather well. The problem with Tornado's boiler was down to heating cycles and more than average wear and tear as a result, including the stays (which are hollow for "tell tales" in terms of leaking steam under the casing). Since the rebuild last year, we've not seen any more problems.

You're always going to get teething troubles on any new bit of technology, and whilst the 118a type is based on the original diagram 118 boiler, it's different enough (and made from different materials, put together differently) to act differently under very varied working conditions. C'est la vie.

The boiler for 3801 being about 4" out of true along the centre line, so if the firebox was fitted the smokebox would not sit on the saddle, or if you fitted the smokebox to the saddle the firebox would not fit the frames.

What is going on with their Q.C.?

OzzyO.

That admittedly is rather alarming.

What is more alarming is that they were sent the plans and told to make it the same as the original, but with a welded firebox. As well as being 4" out of true, I have also heard that the boiler was 'banana shaped', having a bend in the main section.

One of the most annoying problems is the amount of time that it takes for the boiler to be shipped around the globe. If the boiler was fine the first time around, 3801 was due back in service around early 2011. Now, with all these problems it will be unlikely to see her back in service until mid this year at the earliest (touch wood that there is no problems this time around).

Edited by 69843

What is more alarming is that they were sent the plans and told to make it the same as the original, but with a welded firebox. As well as being 4" out of true, I have also heard that the boiler was 'banana shaped', having a bend in the main section.

One of the most annoying problems is the amount of time that it takes for the boiler to be shipped around the globe. If the boiler was fine the first time around, 3801 was due back in service around early 2011. Now, with all these problems it will be unlikely to see her back in service until mid this year at the earliest (touch wood that there is no problems this time around).

You would think with modern technology, boilers would be far simpler to manufacture. Reading what S.A.C Martin wrote about Tornado, you would have to think that D.B. Meiningen has not learnt from previous mistakes. It must be costing them a fortune in ammendments that probably wasn't even costed in the quote. One day... we will see 3801 back on the rails where she belongs.

Cheers, Gary.

• RMweb Premium

You would think with modern technology, boilers would be far simpler to manufacture. Reading what S.A.C Martin wrote about Tornado, you would have to think that D.B. Meiningen has not learnt from previous mistakes. It must be costing them a fortune in ammendments that probably wasn't even costed in the quote. One day... we will see 3801 back on the rails where she belongs.

Cheers, Gary.

Why ought it be easier? Every single boiler they make would be unique (or almost so these days - there can't be many times they actually batch build). Look at the LMS in the 1930s, they had huge boiler making expertise, yet how much trouble did they have getting the Jubilee boilers 'right'? All they needed to do, in theory, was make them a bit bigger than previous models.

Getting boilers to steam right always seemed to be a case of fiddling with the dimensions. A little bit either way & they won't steam adequately.

Kevin Martin

Hi Kevin,

What I meant by 'easier', is that with all the technology man has gathered over the years and the aid of computer software, milling and welding techniques, surely manufacturing has to be easier. As 69843 stated, the boiler was banana shaped when it arrived. To be that much out of allignment, even though D.B. Meiningen had the original plans, that shouldn't really happen. Yes, certain things can go wrong, but it ain't 1930...

Cheers, Gary.

You would think with modern technology, boilers would be far simpler to manufacture. Reading what S.A.C Martin wrote about Tornado, you would have to think that D.B. Meiningen has not learnt from previous mistakes.

It's not really DB Meinengen's fault, or the A1 Trust's, that Tornado's boiler developed a few problems. Not a question of mistakes, but working out the bugs in a prototype.

In hindsight, a closer look at Bulleid boilers (which were also all steel welded boilers) might have lent some insight to the worst case scenarios, but Tornado's boiler was/is still very much a prototype which is being continuously analyzed for any future builds. A spare boiler is a must and it's likely any new boiler will incorporate all of the design changes the 118a currently has.

• RMweb Gold

As for electrics, I'll go with the 71s in original livery.

Funnily enough I was looking yesterday at the latest issue of 'Traction' magazine and an article on EDs and the pictures of 74s made me think, they really were very stylish in design - classic really.

As for diesels, well, Westerns get my vote, on aesthetics.

For British steam, the Duchesses do it for me!

cheers,

Keith

I've put some thought into this while reading through but probably nothing i put will be original! I'm working on the theory of what looks good, not what the running qualities of the locomotives was/is actually like.

I'm suprised nobody's expressed a love for 'Fell' yet though........ :)

STEAM

Having an engineers head i find most 'kettles' very interesting to look at, but they're not my main attraction to this hobby so i don't get as enthusiastic about them as others here do. That said, the Pennsylvania T1 on post 70 does look very beautiful but the first one that lept into my mind for looking good was the original appearance of Gresley's W1..... well i find it beautiful anyway! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_W1

DIESEL

From the UK, i'll upset some people by saying 'anything in LoadHaul colours'. The shot of the 60 in it earlier looks very nice to my eyes. And just to upset a lot of you further, i'm afraid i've never been able to see any good looks in the class 52, sorry!

I do find the shape of the class 14 quite attractive, certainly nicer on the eyes than an 08 (especially in Heljan's fictcious LoadHaul livery!) but kestrel does hold it for me as the best looking UK diesel, but i can't really put my finger on why.

From the rest of the world, Australian NSW class 44 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South_Wales_44_class_locomotive has always been a favorite, the BR class 91 wasn't the first locomotive with different shaped cabs at each end! From America, although not strictly diesel, i nominate all the Union Pacific GTEL's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_GTELs once again i can't really put my finger on why i think these look good, must be an impresiveness with the size thing. Plus the noise must have been amazing!

But my winner for good looking diesel's is the Norfolk-Southern F units. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyadcock/1158941494/

ELECTRIC

Nothing UK i'd consider good looking in this catagory. The previously mentioned Penn GG1 is up there for me but my favorite good looking leccy and good looker over all really has to be the RhB 'baby crocs' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_Railway_Ge_6/6_I I don't think the 'big brother' standard gauge versions look good at all but the little ones look fantastic......especially in brown :danced:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with Satan's Goldfish about the NSWGR 44 Class. A very smart looking loco and a few still exist today. It was and will always be my favourite form of diesel motive power. Here is a photo of a preserved 44 Class at Central Railway Station, pity about the sign in front of the loco...

post-14327-0-44467700-1339840235_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

44s certainly are lookers.

Taken last Saturday at Central? I went on Monday (bad choice due to the rain), and managed to cab 4001 (in front) due to a friend.

Hi All,

Steam - see avatar... I know I am biased here as I work on the real thing but I think the balance of the traditional GWR Edwardian elegant look with the power and engineering perfection (for its time at least) of the early Castles mark them out as the best to my mind. Kings are a little bit too 'butch' and heavy (visually not just axle load!) for my taste. Going off my home region, the streamlining of the A4s and the Duchesses make them look like they are going fast while standing still as do some of the big American and (as yet unmentioned) Australian jobs too. Quite a feat with something as massive and heavy as a steam engine!

Diesel - Again, it has been much mentioned here before but the Westerns just ooze style to my eye. They exude the style of their age and have a 'face' that I think few other diesels can match. Deltics are up there too as are the (aslo as yet unmentioned) GWR railcars. No.4 at Swindon has vast quantities 1930s art deco beauty inside and out while Nos. 22 & 20 have a utillitarian elegance that is very much of their era too. HSTs have their place too. I am surprised we haven't had any votes for a Gronk though - definitely utillitarian and characterful but I suppose not beautiful! In many was the Class 08s are very much the VW Beetle of the diesel world... The gronk and the HST was the only diesel models I had as a young boy so they must have something about them.

The other stuff - I love the 'retro future' looks of Gas Turbine 18000 - straight out of the Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon! The electrics are an area that I have little knowledge of but I do like the almost 'Brunellian' solidity of the Woodhead route locos and the 60s 'white heat of technology 'style of the west coast electrics.

The above has pleased some and left others cold but it is this wide range of interests and enthusiasm displyed here that gives this country it's wonderfully wide ranging railway preservation and modelling scene. I love the power and glamour of the Castle but others like the brute power of heavy freight engines and others still the little shunters. Some have a thing for diesels while sparks do it for others. Thank goodness for that and vive la difference!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 4

Come on now 69843 - We all have our bad hair days, especially in the desert sun...

That is a great picture by the way! Going slightly off topic, is it one of yours?

All the best,

Castle

OK OT again, but ah memories, I was at Didcot when 4079 paid her farewell trip visit in 1977, and I was there again for her happy return 22 years later - absolute sacrilege that she should have been allowed to go to Australia, back to thread.

Come on now 69843 - We all have our bad hair days, especially in the desert sun...

That is a great picture by the way! Going slightly off topic, is it one of yours?

All the best,

Castle

I Wish! It was taken before my time....

Speaking of what happens to locos on holiday out here, have a look at these two RODs:

http://www.australiansteam.com/nswind/rod1.jpg

(hopefully get to see these in a few weeks as well!)

In fact almost anything designed by Johnson. My personal favourites are some of the Johnson rebuilt Kirtley outside frame 2-4-0s.

Jerry

True but I had to pick just one, so I went for the design classic which is the 4-2-2 Paris Exhibition of 1900 and all that.

Personally I also rather like the Kirtley o/f 0-6-0 goods engines in their various forms.

Red, black, green or brown, shiny or rusty doesn't make any difference to me! Great looking engines.

• Like 2